Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I made it to the range yesterday to do some spring testing. I'd shoot a pair then past and label where shots 1 and 2 landed. Probably should have moved the target further away but the green spring had the tightest pairs. (minus the one where I flinched and threw a D)
  3. Got the 997 GT3 out of storage. I just love that car. It’s not as fast as the 991.2 but it’s more organic, less electronic. Manual transmission and that Metzger engine sings. Both cars are left over from SCCA ProSolo and autocross. But the 997 is my favorite. Literally, they don’t make ‘em like that anymore.
  4. Ego damage can happen early. My daughter (6 years old, almost 7) came home and said she had a bad day. She didn’t want to talk about it. So I gave her space and support and let her open up at her own pace. I told her that no matter what happened and no matter what, I love and support her. After a little bit she told me she did a bad job on a math assignment. It affected her self concept. I got down on my knee and looked her in the eye and said, “If I do a bad job at a competition, do you love me less?” She raised an eyebrow and said, “No.” I said if I do badly at a competition it’s okay because I’ll practice and get better and my family loves me no matter the outcome. So it’s okay if she got a math problem wrong and I can help her practice and I love her regardless. She smiled and gave me a hug. It’s not an insult if someone says I suck at something. Because I can work at it and then I won’t suck (as much) anymore. And if I still suck at it, that’s okay. .
  5. I finally figured it would I think. It was more to do with the crimp and bullet profile. Took some messing around but shot two matches recently with zero issues. Looking into the springs' followers and baseball. Spendy! Probably going to get atleast 2.
  6. Today
  7. For the right price it won't matter
  8. yeh when I started loading short colt I looked at the pressures listed in some of the manuals,, yeh I wouldnt do 310 ,, I went with Accurate #2.. alot more comfortable with the book pressures,, I load 147's Bayou coated bullets at 125 in a 4" 627
  9. Yesterday
  10. If you are Training groups of students on a common firing line doing drills as a group the Kestrel timer WINS due to its super loud beep capability. I have exclusively switched over to using the Kestrel timer for all of my Training Classes simply because the Beep is super loud. The only gripe I have with the Kestrel timer is that the front surface of the buttons all "Feel" very similar and there are a bunch of them in the same area. When you reach down to blindly press the start button you get this "Which button is it?" situation. I fixed that on my Kestrel timer by putting a small 2-56 button head screw in the middle of the start button that way I can "Feel" the screw head and know my finger is on the start button. After I made that modification it was super easy to use blindly when its clipped on my pants pocket or belt. Is the Kestrel timer worth $300? If you are a trainer running groups of students through drills ABSOLUTELY!!! If you are only using the shot timer for matches or personal practice, the extra cost of it isn't justified. The Kestrel shot timer is also heavier than most others so it tends to flop around on your pocket a lot more when running around a stage. For my own personal practice I still prefer to use the tried & true Pocket Pro 2 or BT shot timers. That shot timer seems to do everything it needs to do well and is super robust. I have owned almost all of the shot timers on the market as well. The ones I haven't owned, I have used in matches or practice. My close Second Choice for personal Practice is the AMG Commander. The only real bummer about the AMG Commander is that you have to flip it up to see the screen, vs being able to look down at the top of it like the Kestrel or Pocket Pro 2/BT. Out of all my shot timers the AMG Commander is the best when it comes to battery life. I think the first set of batteries in it lasted 2+ years.
  11. I should clarify. The 9” to 2” spread was recoil control and timing at 0.20 splits, not slow fire. It’s a timing and balance issue, not an ammo or shooter issue. “Shooting flat” for guns is like “cornering flat” for race cars. It comes with certain conditions and requirements… and isn’t always a good thing. Similarly, something set up from the factory for whatever ammo and whatever shooter ability… it’s going to be just a gross ballpark and might be “good enough” for a decent shooter. But to get the most out of the platform (and shooter), IMO it takes a little more thought and aptitude than that. Just my opinion.
  12. Not seeing the controversy, it's clear and the OP is correct - cannot start loaded when unloaded is required and vice versa. But it's also true that local clubs at level 1 will not always go by all the rules, including this one. The "reshoot arguments" are often not worth it. This is just the reality on the ground.
  13. It's the one underneath the bowl that holds the blue thingy.
  14. Yeah, kydex is good to go across the board (unless you have it on a really far drop/offset). You can even have knobs now!
  15. I was confused about what "suitable for all day carry" means now in light of all the other restrictions. I remember decades ago when they wouldn't even allow an Uncle Mike's Kydex because it was too far from the belt. If a normal kydex holster is allowed, I'm in.
  16. I’m trying to work up a reliable USPSA load for my daughters recently acquired sig mpx 16” barrel gen 2 and my dad’s recently acquired JP5 steel challenge version 14 1/2 inch barrel with comp and 70 locker. I’m trying to keep things simple and use what I have unless someone would recommend a different bullet or powder that would be significantly better. I have Everglade 115 full metal jacket bullets and Bayou Bullets 145 grain coated bullets. powder is n230. Anyone have a favorite load for either gun using 115 or 145 and n320? Thank
  17. I don't have any experience with the Frankford Arsenal X-10; however I can give my opinion with regards to the RL1100 and the Apex 10; as I have owned/operated both for single pass loading. Starting with Station 3 I think the RL1100 offers a very restricted form of using the hold down station to also provide Case Neck Expansion. As the Dillon back-up rod is a fixed length, the only way to get deeper expansion would be to cut/grind off a few thousands; then re-harden the end of the rod. Apex 10 has separate case neck expansion at Station 5. Moving to Station 4, the ever so important Priming Station, an RL1100 provides no standard threads located in the Tool head for a hold down, sizing die, etc. That can be rectified using aftermarket hold down inserts; or with the additional purchase of an optional Tool Head. Apex 10 provides fully threaded hole at this location that accommodates a hold down die or sizing die with the decapper removed. RL1100 uses Station 5 to dispense Powder; the Apex 10 is at Station 6 with Station 5 being used for Case Neck Expansion as mentioned above. With the RL1100, Stations 6, 7, and 8 are described in the Manual for (6)"Optional Powder Check OR Bullet Feeder; (7)Place and Seat Bullet, and (8) Crimp Bullet/Eject Completed Reload." IMO, here's were 10 Stations, as offered with the Apex 10, really start to "shine" as you end up with: (7) Powder Check (8) Bullet Drop (MBF) (9) Bullet Seat (10) Bullet Crimp Some have successfully utilized a combo seat/crimp die at Station 8 on the RL1100/S1050 series in order to use a powder sensor at Station 6 along with a MBF in Station 7. I personally have ALWAYS used/preferred separate seat and crimp stations. Finally, one of the biggest selling points that swayed me to the Apex 10 was the option to utilize a full suite of digital sensors after automating. And the most important one (for me)? The Primer Orientation Sensor that works flawlessly! Sorry to be so long winded..........but for those that choose to "single pass reload" the 10 stations offer additional important features and peace of mind! HTHs!
  18. My usual 9mm load uses N310 so yeah you're definitely describing me I certainly have other powders though. It seems worth trying a Short Colt load if I could get to around 110-125PF while staying under, say, 25k PSI. Of course it's hard to know if that's happening!
  19. just spoke with CZ USA parts.......CZ does NOT carry parts for the DWX, its Dan Wesson only......I left a message......lets ee what happens.
  20. Isn't that wild? Same here; both of my home clubs before I moved would up allowing it but no one out here does. Is it because most of HQ is too rotund to carry appendix? Look, I'm just sayin'... maybe.
  21. Good range session today. Worked some stuff that V was having issues with at the classifier match. Took some component parts and blended them into a short stage. Worked Blake drills on the first three targets standing. Then with the entry and exit. Then the final setup target for feet. I also got to test my new recoil spring setup in the Alien and it was glorious. So much easier to shoot. Whereas it was so difficult before. As an example of how much setup matters, V’s gun is set up for 150 Syntech. She was shooting Blazer brass for cost savings and it was very hard for her to time and shoot. We changed to her normal load and it just “felt easier” for her to shoot and the groups went down from 9” to 2”. When I set up guns, I tune them specifically for a certain recoil impulse. I think I finally nailed the setup on the Alien to be easy to shoot and how I want it. Going to measure the spring and see what other non Alien options might work…
  22. On a side note, I was just looking at the 22TM in a pistol and rifle. pistol @ 2066fps. rifle @ 2752. If that is any indication, then WOW. I bet the major would do 3000.
  23. You can save time that way, but if you can't shoot and start moving faster you'll just make the shooting you're already struggling with harder. I think learning to shoot is of massive importance.
  24. It was a must for me to shoot the pistol/rifle the day before and no shots fired prestart the day of the match. I wore the same shoes, the same socks, the same under wear, t-shirt, and pants at each match and if I couldn't get that same gear I would sit out the match. That all started after I DQ'd a match after wearing new shoes, and using my backup pistol instead of running my primary. I've sat out a few matches after that in my time, so I would take advantage of the time and help out the new shooters for those matches. Oh... I have a specific playlist as well... 140-160 bpm
  25. From NROI today: Failure (to paint) Is Not An Option
  26. HHDG put their lenses in my Oakley's. One in a pair of Oakley Turbine (Gold lens) and another in Oakley Holbrook (Blue). I'm very happy with both.
  27. I ran my buddy's Hunters Gold for a few matches, I didn't think HD was an actual thing when it came to safety glasses of any type, but I ended up sticking with my military issues Wyle X's and Oakley's simply based on the cost. The image sharpness was the one thing I was missing the most from the HG's that not even my Oakley's Prisms couldn't even get close to.
  28. There have been several discussions on here about not following the rules of your chosen discipline. Sometimes people/clubs/events don't find that it is necessary to follow the rules.
  1. Load more activity