Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer Questions & Advice

crawdad

I'm in the market for a shot timer.   I received a $100 Dillon Precision gift certificate for Christmas.   Dillon sells the CED 6000 shot timer for $129.  

Although PACT timers have an excellent reputation, I'd like to use my gift certificate to off set the cost of the CED 6000 timer.  Does anyone have experience with these timers?  Thanks and happy new year.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not too impressed by them...sorry...we used them at the start of the Canadian Nationals this past year, but by halfway through the match, half of the officials had switched to using their own. Usually the little yellow ones. Buy Pact they are much better and you can support our host...there are so many other items Dillon sells that are high quality, I'm sure that GC won't go to waste.

Pat

I own both the Pocket Pro & the Pact MK IV.

I started with the Pocket Pro. It's a decent little timer.  The problem with it is all the work you have to go through to see the splits.  You have to hit one button to advance to the next shot, another to see the splits, another to see the shot #, then hit the first one to advance to the next shot & so on & so on...

The MKIV gives you much more information at a time.  It has a lot more features. For practice & training, I think it is a much better timer.

I haven't used the newer PACT club timers. I've heard good comments from people who have RO'd large matches with them.

But, as Pat said, for training purposes the MKIV is really the best way to go.  

If you can't afford the MKIV, I'm sure the Pact Club timer or Pocket Pro would both be reliable timers.  But, you'll eventually wish you had bought the MKIV. :)

chp5,

I've got a CED and it's OK - it works.  I had to put masking tape over the mic port to eliminate echos from registering.  I don't think I'd pay $130 for one again though.   If your gift certificate is transferrable, I'd let you have mine for the$100...  :)  I've only driven it to the range on Sundays, promise.

Eric  

A Pact club timer II is 129.95. If you can only afford that, get it. If you can spend 199.95, get the MKIV. Even if you can't spend it, borrow the money and get it. :) You'll be glad you did. Ask anyone who owns one.

be

Moderator Edit: This topic is an amalgamation of many topics discussing the same question: Which shot timer should I get?

I am very new to IDPA and totally new to IPSC.  I have been reading over several of the training drills and one thing has occured to me.  It seems that in order to maximize practice sessions it will be necessary to obtain a timer of some sort.  Is this true?  What should I look for (brand/model) as far as timers are concerned.  Are there any alternatives to using timers?

Edited by Erik Warren

A timer is a must, it never lies. Your perception of time can vary, so what you think is fast might not be and conversely what you thought was slow might not be either. The timer will tell you for sure. Look at the Pact MK IV it has the most 'useful' features for training, others will do but its not as easy to find your splits or set par times etc.

Pat

Yep, you've pretty much got to have a timer. You can't trust your own perceptions of what is fast or slow. For one thing, when you're all tensed up for explosive action...you're just not very fast, becasue tense muscles have to fight each other before they can begin to move, and then the movement itself is retarded. But by God, you feel fast! Don't you? Sure you do, because you have to work hard to move you feel like you're really accomplishing something.

By contrast, relaxed muscles can begin to move instantly, and the movements themselves are far fast and smoother. But you feel SLOW. Add into that the time distortion effect that can alter your perceptions when you're shooting fast, and you absolutely need a timer. The timer doesn't care about how fast you FEEL, or your instructor's reputation, or that your technique SHOULD work great. It factors all that garbage out and replaces it with cold, hard fact. The timer is the one critic that will never lie to you.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 5:12 pm on Dec. 29, 2001)

Pact makes a model called the club timer ll. I have been using this one for 3 years and have been very happy with it. It has a large and easy to read screen. The 1st shot is always displayed on the bottom left corner, the most recent split on the bottom right corner, shot number on top left and running time is displayed prominently . this unit is very ergonomic and does everything you need. The price also isn't bad if you don't need a chrono.

The MKIV is my first timer, and I don't look to replace it.  Besides the timer, it has the chrony, which is key to developing loads (when you reload, making sure your 180g whatevers with x.xx grains of explosive make major).  It is more expensive than the basic timers, but the added features are a god-send.  You'll be glad you did.

I had originally ordered the club timer from here but upgraded to the m4 after a little more consideration.

If you start a regular training regimen - you can track your progress over time. Standard drills ,like those described elsewhere are good places to start.Log your 'cold' times and keep track of them.

(Edited by Mark Perez at 3:35 pm on Jan. 4, 2002)

Dammit!

You all just made me order one of them MK4s!!

I tried like crazy to get it for under $199.95 but Pact does business like SV, thry are factory direct with zero distributors.  I'm not a business major but it seems that when you have a highly desired product, and you limit the supply, well...that's a guaranteed recipie for profit!

So, this comes with the skyscreens huh?

Is the chrono ability of the gadget top notch?

Now I have to twiddle my thumbs till UPS gets here.....:)

TDean,

I wouldn't worry too much about PACT getting rich off of us shooters.  There just isn't enough of a market, and there is competition.  I am a dealer fro PACT, I know that Brain isn't making a killing either.  Margins sure are tight in the shooting business.

I think you will be happy with the function of the chrono that comes with the Mk-IV.  I haven't put it head to head with other machines, but it always corresponds with where my loads should be and with what I have encountered at matches.