Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pistol do you carry for self defense (vs the one you compete with)?

wrx04

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to carry a Keltec 380 for comfort, until I had a close call and required it to preform. Lucky me it worked out but it caused me to rethink my carry. Now carry a Glock 23 ported and running a 9mm spring. Spending time with this set up I feel confident with the less recoil yet larger rd than 380 I’m good now. When we shoot for steel or for groups I shoot my SIG 226. 

For fun, I've started shooting one of my carry guns (Staccato C2duo) in open minor. Not competitive in Open, but when looking at overall match results, I can roughly compare myself to CO.

Still, I live in Florida, where the weather often dictates a smaller gun. For that, I rotate several options: Sig P938, Beretta Hellcat and, for those times when I want even more discreet, a Seecamp .32.

For a long time I carried a Walther P99C AS (Sub-compact .40S&W) inside the waistband, but found it uncomfortable for any length of time and awkward especially when using the bathroom. Since I would carry it appendix, it felt like it was just a matter of time until I dropped it in the urinal 😆. I loved the gun, but had to go a different route. I settled on the S&W Bodyguard 380acp. Very small and fits in a sticky holster in my front pocket. In the holster is doesn't print and I don't have to worry about flashing people, like is possible with an IWB gun. It's double action only, which I like in case there's ever a light strike i can always pull the trigger again. I've heard other folks complain about the trigger pull (12+ lbs) but to me I like that since it is riding in my pocket the chances of it going off are nil. I do lots of dry fire and live fire drills with it to stay fresh and its never malf'd. Just a nice little pocket gun. I shoot Limited and my race guns are 2011s, a STI Edge and a Bedell both in 40s&w.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't shoot competitely but practice with my local USPSA guys and gals. For that I have a Peine Custom in 9mm (2011 STI framed open). I might get more serious in optic division with my new Staccato P. My everywhere carry (as I call it) is a Kimber Micro 9. I'm a small framed guy so hiding anything bigger would require a trench coat! 

PXL_20210131_133817542~2_copy_2016x1512.jpg

PXL_20210126_164903655~2_copy_2016x1512.jpg

2018-03-06_12-17-25_562_copy_1125x1500.jpeg

On 6/5/2019 at 7:46 PM, wrx04 said:

This topic may be outside of the usual rhetoric here, but I’m interested in the responses.  I typically respect the posters here as “shooters”.  The forum is focused on the skills required to handle a pistol with speed, efficiency, and accuracy within the rules of a given game.  Most guys here are more skilled and have a great deal more rounds on their guns than other sites, IMO.  Tactics are not often discussed outside the “rules”.

What do you guys carry?  Do you run a heavy Infinity double stack in limited but carry a 642 stubby? Do you CCW at all?  Do you consider running a specific platform because it’s what you carry, or is that an afterthought?

I have conflicting views on this, and would like to hear some opinions.  Thanks.

Springfield Micro Compact 45 ACP. I’ve carried it over 30 years. I shoot open. Best carry gun is just that. One you WILL carry. 

Time to update my answer. I compete with CZ Shadow 2 in Production and Carry Optics. I now rotate my ccw between a Sig P365, CZ P-10c and CZ P-01.

The 365 is easier to dress for. The P 10 conceals well for a bigger pistol and has the ease of a striker fired gun. The P01 feels most like my match gun and I can shoot amazingly accurate with it.  Each of my choices also has some negatives but there is what I compete with and the guns I carry on the daily.

I carry a P365 for my EDC. I use the Raven trigger guard minimalist holster. I've tried and tried appendix carry and I'd say 90% of the time it just doesn't work for me. So normally I'm carrying in that 4:00 position or so IWB. The times I carry appendix are if I'm doing something that I'm going to be bending forward a lot with. If I am playing baseball or something like that I carry appendix but otherwise I'm always IWB on my back right hip. I don't switch out my EDC... not winter vs. summer. Not more clothes vs. less. For some reason in my mind I just go with what I've used and am most familiar with. There's a celeb I follow on Instagram that swaps out EDC guns every couple of days ... and I know it's a little motivated to show different manufacturers love. For me though it just doesn't work. 

As others have mentioned I am pretty devoted to carrying. I do it whenever possible. And I've tried to understand the prep side of things as well. From shooting the gun more dynamically and not on a flat range to reading several books around the dynamics of combat situations. Dave Grossman has two books called "On Combat" and "On Killing" that were both interesting. I don't subscribe 100% to them but they have been part of my research. And I thought Gavin DeBecker's books "The Gift of Fear" "Just 2 Seconds" and "Fear Less" were also good educational reads. As well as Pat Mac's "The Sentinel" (which is an ok book and a good video available on Panteon) and Cooper's "Principles of Personal Defense" IMO carrying is about the gun and knowing how to use it as well as the mental prep for all that's involved. Though I will absolutely say that my primary focus at any point in time is avoidance. If the SHTF I'd be way more focused on escape unless escape just doesn't become an option.

To the point of carrying where I can I kind of even keep that thought in the house. I carry at home. Like many on these forums I do have guns scattered throughout the house but generally speaking have my P365 on me at all times. I do it because it always keeps the gun close and if I'm out doing yard work or whatever it's still with me. I also do it so that if I'm caught in the living room 12 steps from my hidden gun then I can at least have an option as I work my way to it. 

For matches I currently shoot a SIG P320 X5 that I swapped the grip out with their Tungsten infused grip. I shoot production with that. 

If I'm shooting IDPA I tend to lean towards my Springfield 1911 TRP that I've had for ... oh ... too many years :)

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a 2011 for limited and use a 365xl for carry.  The xl is small enough to carry appendix comfortably and big enough so that it wouldn’t be awkward if needed.  The standard 365 is great too with the 12 round magazine.

I've tried appendix carry with a GLOCK G43 a few times, but the idea of it pointing at my dinkus and femoral artery makes it so I can't relax. Carry is supposed to be comforting and that method of carry prevents that for me. I know it's not the same for everyone but that's where it is for me. 

A G19 RTF2 in an IWB at ~3:30 is still the current year-round selection. For yard work I usually have the G43 carried the same way. It also does occasional duty as a back-up in an Uncle Henry's pocket scabbard (such a cheap but effective POS!).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...