Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pistol do you carry for self defense (vs the one you compete with)?

wrx04

My philosophy on this has changed as my amount of competition practice has ramped up. 

I had been carrying a P365 and then a P365 XL most of the time over the last ~ 3 years. Loved the size to capacity ratio which made me move away from having a micro compact (G43) and a bigger option (CZ PCR). 

During that period I was still going to the range just to shoot a variety of guns at least once or twice a week. 

As I started to take my training more seriously I found that such an overwhelming majority of my shooting is now structured practice… I’m spending that much time on a certain platform, and i shoot it extremely well… maybe I should standardize. Between that and getting better at the techniques of concealment, I now carry a bigger gun with minimal disruption. 

Since I shoot a Walther Q5 SF in matches, I got the Q4 SF for EDC. Both guns I’m using a dot, both 6moa, but I’m using an RMR for carry for durability reasons. I do still have a “lighter” option since it’s a heavy boy, but it’s just the compact Walther PDP so truly almost identical size, manual of arms, and accessories. Just polymer framed instead. 

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kev8kRd.jpg[/img]

M&P Shield 9EZ

I'm getting old and can't rack the slide on many of my old autos so I went looking for this in .380.  They didn't have ammo and I still had over 1000 rounds of 9 so I bought this one.  It's a little large for a pocket gun but since I make my own holsters I was able to a nice OWB for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The Glock 48 was a game changer for me. My department carries G45 pistols on duty and so I always concentrated on Glock pistols for my off duty guns and even my competition gun. The G48 didn’t impress me at first with only the 10 round capacity, but I got a bunch of the shield arms mags and made sure they functioned 100% (which they did). Now I’ve got the G48mos with a holosun 507K on it and the TLR7A-sub. To be honest I shoot it as well as my G34. It has turned into my “do all” pistol.

• 2 weeks later...

Glock 48 the single stack w G17-ish grip and G19 slide 9mm... feels good, like it better than the G43 and P365 I've owned before, IWB carry

S&W 642 J-frame Aluminum 38special 5-rounds, pocket or ? carry

Cough

I shoot a CZ Tactical Sport in Limited. I very rarely carry, but if I do a g43 in a blackhawk appendix holster is about as concealable and comfortable as I have ever come across.  Seems more than adequate for close up personal protection. But, I'd want something with a much longer sight radius [or a dot] if I was protecting more than just myself.