Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pistol do you carry for self defense (vs the one you compete with)?

wrx04

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5E2E4DE6-8A76-46DC-ABA5-1743E2AA0BCC.jpeg.4a374d1f807a1d594c929272b28d6c0a.jpeg

EDC7811C-FBDB-40BC-BB21-93B0379752FD.jpeg.f498fe11d419e155d4432f38ce3d1a0d.jpeg

Not all at once, lol. 

Compete with either a Shadow 2 or a Czechmate. 

The better I get, the more comfortable I am a variety of platforms. 

To the point where my carry stuff starts encompassing different roles rather than specific equipment. 

A G34 versus a P365 likely wouldn’t give me much incremental functional benefit. 

But a weak side pocket revolver might. 

Or start adding blades. 

1FF5250E-818B-4A05-AB16-9742308C9173.thumb.jpeg.f9464477819571b508cf2d95dd4753f2.jpeg

all depends on the environmemt   example on my property up in mountain I was carrying a sull size 10mm then a .45 and now down to a 9mm   like most we say heck ill carry the most powerfullest handgun i can in the woods   but   the reality of it is if its an all day carry  working the land doing work etc  its a real challemge  they are real heavy and bulky and dig into you when sitting..the grip also ruins your darn seat...if its leather  lol     i'm now carrying a sig 365xl with a dot  i don't even know its there i get 12+1 so if needed i have decent capacity    

I carry a steel CZ P-01 and compete with CZ 75 SP-01. They have identical modifications done to them. The only differences being the P-01 has a light, and the SP-01 has a red dot mounted on a dovetail plate.

I wanted them to be as similar as possible and I'm considering putting a similar RDS setup on the P-01.

• 3 weeks later...

This is very interesting to see everyone’s setup. 

since I’m getting all new, I decided to get into CO with a x5 legion since I carried a p320 with x series grip. Currently, a 509C as I’m sending the P320 slide to get milled. I may entertain getting a x carry legion for a new carry platform down the line.  

my personal goal was to have as close to matching platforms. 

I'm in the process of building on the Sig Sauer P365 Custom Works Fire Control Unit for my next carry gun. Tomorrow the barrel arrives and I'll finish up, below is my build sheet:

Sig Sauer P365 Custom Works Fire Control Unit

Rival Arms Precision Slide With Front & Rear Serrations QPQ Black 416R Stainless Steel For Sig P365Xl

Rival Arms Precision Drop-In Barrel 9mm Luger 3.70" Gold PVD Finish 4340H Steel Material

Rival Arms Guide Rod Assembly Sig P365Xl Tungsten Stainless Steel

Sig Sauer parts to complete slide (see below)

Holosun 507K-X2 Micro Green Dot × 1

Lakeside Gripworks P365XL Grip Module and 15 rd mag

4Bros Sig Sauer P365XL *thumb rest [generic]* IWB Holster (coyote carbon fiber, ulticlip, modwing)

Sig Sauer 15 Round Magazine

GoGun *thumb rest [generic]*

Zev Technologies Extended Magazine Release P365

• 2 months later...

I shoot a 2011 open gun, but carry a sig p365xl.

I have carried everything from Glock to S&W, Cz, other sigs, Hk.  The more and more I think about a carry setup, I like something very compact, easy to conceal and still has good magazine capacity.  You have to use what feels right for you though.

Carry either a Glock 26 Gen 4 or Glock 43 (not 43x), depending if I want potential for more capacity or small and light for max concealment.  Recently put a Suarez slide cut for Holosun 407k, with a 407k installed, on the Glock 43 and really like that package.  Also, have a Suarez slide cut for an RMR setting on a shelf for the G26.  I need some time to play with the new G26 slide as I need to install an adapter plate on that one for the 407k I have to put on there.

Competition rig is one of two Glock 17 Gen 4 MOS for USPSA CO.  I have one for primary and one for backup, both setup exactly the same all around so either one I pickup feels and performs the same.

I shoot open division. Before that and when I started shooting open I liked the idea of having a similar platform to carry as I was running in uspsa.    When I was shooting a cz in production and CO I carried a 75d pcr.   When I started shooting open I carried a staccato P.  It was kinda heavy and cumbersome compared to other platforms so that didn’t last long.  I now carry an m&p compact with a pmm comp and red dot a lot lighter and less maintenance required.   Skills transfer no matter the platform for the most part.  

• 3 weeks later...

Competed with a Shadow 2 and carried a Glock 19.4 I modified per Frank Proctor's specs. Just got a Shadow Systems MR920 Elite I was planning on switching it out with but having some reliability issues I'm hoping to sort out with them soon. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Carry an an archon type b, compete with an archon type b wearing a surefire 300 and a dpm guide rod. I’m probably going to modify the trigger on the comp gun slightly. I also shaved the texture and applied silicon carbide to the comp pistol. 

On 12/20/2021 at 11:28 AM, 427Cobra said:

Infinity 9/40 is my fun gun, and I have been carrying a g43, but I might switch to a p365

Check out the shadow systems cr920. I have a 365x and might switch to that. It’s basically a 43 on steroids. 

Compete with Sig X5 Legion and carry 365. 

Shot a corse of fire last week with both. My take away was that I need a larger frame carry with red dot. 

My high and tight comp grip would constantly grab the 365’s slide and it wouldn’t go into battery.

Looking at the XCarry with red dot. More similar ergos to Legion. 

Does anyone have experience with the X Carry?

9 minutes ago, Cnickolas said:

Compete with Sig X5 Legion and carry 365. 

Shot a corse of fire last week with both. My take away was that I need a larger frame carry with red dot. 

My high and tight comp grip would constantly grab the 365’s slide and it wouldn’t go into battery.

Looking at the XCarry with red dot. More similar ergos to Legion. 

Does anyone have experience with the X Carry?

I got an xcompact with a Romeo 1 pro and Wilson combat grip. Very shootable gun but I don’t like to carry it. Too big for me. I’m probably going to sell it soon.