Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pistol do you carry for self defense (vs the one you compete with)?

wrx04

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/6/2019 at 7:20 AM, Matt1911 said:

Competition STI Edge

Carry Glock 48

same here...sometimes I carry the Glock 30s if I'm feeling patriotic.

My first competition gun was a G34.  But after awhile I messed up and tried a 2011 and haven't looked back since...

My competition pistols either my Eagle or Edge

My carry guns are a couple of cheap used full size M&P's in 9mm. They run every time I shoot one, and if you shoot someone to protect yourself you mostly likely will not get your gun back or if you do it will be at least a year later.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Boy said:

Just keep in mind that if you use your carry gun it better be stock when the forensic team takes it apart to check or you have a big problem.......

Can you quote even ONE case where someone was prosecuted for a legit shooting because they had modified their firearm?  

2 minutes ago, Boy said:

yes

Call your lawyer for details

it is a felony after all

Can you quote what law you are breaking by modifying your firearm?  

Frankly, I believe you are the victim of internet nonsense, and are passing it on....  

3 hours ago, Boy said:

Just keep in mind that if you use your carry gun it better be stock when the forensic team takes it apart to check or you have a big problem.......

Well, since you are talking directly to my profession, I can say that stock is fine and good, but justified is all you really need to worry about in the criminal case.  Our lab report is going to cover functional and in good working order for the most part.  They will take measurements if the OAL or barrel length is questionable.  I've never even seen a trigger pull weight on a lab report.  Though a recent case of mine, they did note the Barsto barrel, which will not be an issue. 

3 hours ago, Boy said:

I hope that's not the case in your state.  It's definitely not the case here.  I've personally been involved in four shootings thus far with a couple different guns that were all modified with trigger kits, RMR's, stippling, mag wells, etc.  I've also been to scenes of defensive shooting where the person used a full agency arms glock.  Not once did the modifications come up during any investigation or law suit thereafter.  You should be able to explain how the modifications help you and make the lawyer asking about it look like a total moron.  Most know nothing about guns and won't ask questions about something they don't already know the answer.  

If you modify a gun and the modification make it less safe and the shooting is a result of a negligent/accidental discharge (mechanical or not) you may have an issue.  Short of that, I haven't seen modifications ever brought up in court even in my liberal hell hole of a state.  I'd advise to not have "you're f'd" and the like written on your gun of course, that's just dumb. 

I'm not a lawyer, this is strictly my experience and opinions.  

2 minutes ago, hitman_usmc said:

I hope that's not the case in your state.  It's definitely not the case here.  I've personally been involved in four shootings thus far with a couple different guns that were all modified with trigger kits, RMR's, stippling, mag wells, etc.  I've also been to scenes of defensive shooting where the person used a full agency arms glock.  Not once did the modifications come up during any investigation or law suit thereafter.  You should be able to explain how the modifications help you and make the lawyer asking about it look like a total moron.  Most know nothing about guns and won't ask questions about something they don't already know the answer.  

If you modify a gun and the modification make it less safe and the shooting is a result of a negligent/accidental discharge (mechanical or not) you may have an issue.  Short of that, I haven't seen modifications ever brought up in court even in my liberal hell hole of a state.  I'd advise to not have "you're f'd" and the like written on your gun of course, that's just dumb. 

I'm not a lawyer, this is strictly my experience and opinions.  

^^^^^^this

17 hours ago, Boy said:

Only changes made are grips, magwell, fiber optic front sight, over size mag release, and the occasional spring change. Trigger is allready very nice. Every change has been done to give me better control, and I see no reason to think this may get me into any kind of trouble.

On aside note most people in general would look at it and say hum its not a Colt 🙂.

Ok I am basing it on a case locally where a man shot and killed someone and received 5 year sentence for having a modified gun. If you want further clarification you can visit him in jail and get all the details.  

45 minutes ago, Boy said:

Looked it up in the online newspaper 

five to 20 years for the firearm enhancement.

So it looks like he could end up getting more than 5 years

Boy that's a pretty slippery slope, because anything can be considered a modified gun. if you change the sights you modified the gun, if you change the recoil spring, you've modified the gun. if you add a magazine well you've modified the gun. And if you use a reloaded hollow point ammunition then you really in trouble. Not trying to hijack the thread, Just thinking out loud.

Edited by usmc1974