Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What pistol do you carry for self defense (vs the one you compete with)?

wrx04

This topic may be outside of the usual rhetoric here, but I’m interested in the responses.  I typically respect the posters here as “shooters”.  The forum is focused on the skills required to handle a pistol with speed, efficiency, and accuracy within the rules of a given game.  Most guys here are more skilled and have a great deal more rounds on their guns than other sites, IMO.  Tactics are not often discussed outside the “rules”.

What do you guys carry?  Do you run a heavy Infinity double stack in limited but carry a 642 stubby? Do you CCW at all?  Do you consider running a specific platform because it’s what you carry, or is that an afterthought?

I have conflicting views on this, and would like to hear some opinions.  Thanks.

Edited by wrx04
Grammar

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I carry a compact version of my (plastic) limited gun, same caliber, same mags.  Wasn't what i started with, but where i ended up and i tend to prefer it after trying several different carry guns

Compete: Steel Grip 9major Open gun w/ 510c

Carry (not nearly as much as I should): Glock 27

With as many 2011 issues as I have witnessed in the short time I have shot competitions no way I would trust my life with one.  Nothing against the guys that do as they must certainly have specific magazine and ammo they feel confident in, I just don’t see the benefit.

Should’ve stated:

I shoot a CZ TSO in limited.

Carry a g19 most of the time.  Sometimes a 642 w/crimson trace, or a Wilson CQB.  

Debating if I should shoot a glock in the games, but I figure shooting skills will transfer well enough given the extremely low probability I’d ever need it.

My carry gun (M&P - C) is  almost identical  to my TruBor -

except the TruBor has a nice trigger, holds 30 rounds,

has a compensator and a C-More, and weighs twice as much.

Oh, and is twice as long.   Almost identical.     😇

Carry gun is M&P 9c... competition semi-autos are 9mm M&P CORE/RMR (CO) and M&P standard 9mm (iron sight divisions) I feel there is an advantage to staying with one platform.

Compete with Shadow 2 or in Single Stack.

On the rare occasions I do carry it's a CZ PCR or S&W 442, depending on weather/clothing etc. I've never needed a gun in public, and have only 2-3 times been so much as comforted by its presence.

I compete with either an SVI .38 Super in Open or an SVI .40 in Limited.  Depending on weather and what I'm wearing I'll carry either an Astra Constable .380 or Colt Combat Commander.

The Astra is small enough that I can carry it in a back pocket with an untucked shirt.

I compete with a 2011 in limited or a 1911 in a local action pistol (idpaish) league.  I carry mainly a shield but do carry an lcp or a m&p9c from time to time.  I live in a fairly low area for crime, rural Wisconsin, soI doubt I will ever need it.  I do think about getting a small 1911 type gun to carry but they seem a little pricey to just beat up as a carry gun.

17 minutes ago, Mushki25 said:

I do think about getting a small 1911 type gun to carry but they seem a little pricey to just beat up as a carry gun.

I really wanted a Sig P238, but for something that might disappear forever in an evidence locker forever should I ever need to use it, I decided against a more expensive gun that I might actually become attached to.