Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer prices

Skywatcher

22 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

scored 5K from brownell's on 3/6 for $46/K.  even if the prices jumped, it is gouging.

I don't know what "gauging" even means, usually it means that the person doesn't like that the market value has gone up.  I'd love to buy shares of Ford for $5 but that's not what they're selling at.  Should I feel gauged?

I wish primers would be on the shelf at $75-100, people would only buy what they need and there wouldn't be shortages.  I'd be happy to pay $100+ per pound for certain powders right now if it meant I could get a few pounds rather than waiting and hoping to catch a place to buy a jug or three or having to redevelop my loads.

• 1 month later...

I don't see primer prices being $75 a year from now.  I think powder prices will be back to normal in a few months.

As soon as retailers can keep either on the shelves for more than a few days at a time, I think prices will start to drop pretty quickly.  People won't be motivated to hoard, or pay inflated prices on the secondary market.  GB prices are already dropping to almost retail levels now.  My local Scheels had primers in stock for a week without selling out.  We're getting there...

Was in a Scheel's on Saturday (5/29/21), they had CCI Small rifle magnum @$47/K and Small Rifle Bench rest $65/k.  Limit 1K per customer.  Didn't buy any since don't use either.  Later I saw a lot of the CCI Small Rifle Magnums primers for $90-$150 per 1000.

On 5/30/2021 at 9:58 PM, wdfwguy said:

I don't see primer prices being $75 a year from now.  I think powder prices will be back to normal in a few months.

As soon as retailers can keep either on the shelves for more than a few days at a time, I think prices will start to drop pretty quickly.  People won't be motivated to hoard, or pay inflated prices on the secondary market.  GB prices are already dropping to almost retail levels now.  My local Scheels had primers in stock for a week without selling out.  We're getting there...

This is good news - Thanks for sharing....With the trafic that Scheel’s stores see this is good news....Mark

i dont know about others, but i for sure wont forget who jacked up prices when things are available again.  a small increase due to availability is one thing, but doubling or tripling prices, i dont forget.

1 hour ago, lefty o said:

i dont know about others, but i for sure wont forget who jacked up prices when things are available again.  a small increase due to availability is one thing, but doubling or tripling prices, i dont forget.

👍🏼

• 4 months later...
43 minutes ago, 1911jerry said:

I was in a well known reloading shop today in Phoenix and saw primers (CCI benchrest) for $130 and CCI #41 for $120.

That’s not bad for 5,000 primers!

I picked up primers at Cabela's for $65/k a month or so ago. But if you're tracking prices online, it's all ticking up for primers while ammo is falling.

Brownells did have a special today for 2k of primers for $200 but it came with a Brownells $75 gift card. That's the best online price I've seen in a while. Most now are 75 or 85/k

10 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Friend of mine was in a store in MO about 6 months ago and they had a whole table full of Federal SPP priced at $60/k with no limit.  Not exactly cheap, but that's the best price I've seen in a long time.

Damn, I’d probably drive up to 10 hrs to get that price if they had as much as I wanted…

10 minutes ago, vluc said:

Natchez just sold out of cci SPP, listed at $84/1K .  One of our group bought 5K, came out to $98/K with hazmat, tax and shipping.

About what I was paying for a completed 9mm round not so long ago.

Edited by old558

19 hours ago, vluc said:

Natchez just sold out of cci SPP, listed at $84/1K .  One of our group bought 5K, came out to $98/K with hazmat, tax and shipping.

at least they sell you 5 K and charge the hazmat fee, not like all the others that sell only 1K and get the fee five times if you would buy 5 k from them (5x1k).