Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer prices

Skywatcher

16 hours ago, RudyVey said:

at least they sell you 5 K and charge the hazmat fee, not like all the others that sell only 1K and get the fee five times if you would buy 5 k from them (5x1k).

I didn’t think they got the fee, I always thought it went to the shipper, FedEx or UPS. 

56 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I didn’t think they got the fee, I always thought it went to the shipper, FedEx or UPS. 

They can negotiate their rate just as they can their normal shipping rates with the carrier. 

With all the extra packing material required for a haz shipment, I’d think every seller is holding back some of the fee to cover that added cost. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2021 at 9:58 PM, wdfwguy said:

I don't see primer prices being $75 a year from now.  I think powder prices will be back to normal in a few months.

As soon as retailers can keep either on the shelves for more than a few days at a time, I think prices will start to drop pretty quickly.  People won't be motivated to hoard, or pay inflated prices on the secondary market.  GB prices are already dropping to almost retail levels now.  My local Scheels had primers in stock for a week without selling out.  We're getting there...

I just checked gun broker 26 dollars a 100 is not " dropping. "

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 8:31 PM, usmc1974 said:

I just checked gun broker 26 dollars a 100 is not " dropping. "

Locally primers were $65/k for most of the last year and would sell out. Local place has CCI 41s $90/k and have had a pile every time I've gone in there. I see people looking for primers come in, see only them and leave.

Either the market is stabilizing for less than that or no one needs 41s.

When Winchester cancelled orders and said no new orders till . Mid 2022. Wholesale price was $55.00+ @ 1000. Wholesale price can change very quickly. Could go up or down . Without any warning.

Edited by AHI

1 hour ago, joelpend said:

Manufacturer & Wholesale prices have not gone up so much. Retailers are gouging us now just like the Oil Companies, just because they can.

I haven't seen a single primer for sale in a long time.  I wish they'd gouge me for the rifle powders I want, as I haven't seen those either.  You might be surprised what I'd pay.

Just read this thread from the beginning, some of the posts from last year haven't aged well!

Based on this article: https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/concentrated-firepower-what-high

they know they have a monopoly and are pretty happy with current prices. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to drop.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend sent me this article a week or so ago. Not sure exactly how true it is or how likely that it’ll actually come to life this year but it could be a big help. Obviously people would be skeptical on the reliability until testing has been done but either way, a new player on the field could mean that prices are forced to drop. However, if they release to the market at $100/1k just to fill the void, then there’s no win for us. 

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/a-third-primer-manufacturer-now-tooling-up-for-production-in-texas-in-2022/amp/

On 1/16/2022 at 8:09 PM, joelpend said:

Manufacturer & Wholesale prices have not gone up so much. Retailers are gouging us now just like the Oil Companies, just because they can.

The various levels of government make more in taxes off a gallon of gas than what the oil companies see in profits.

• 3 weeks later...

I think about $100/1000 primers is going to be the new norm. Have seen less and have seen more, but this is about the average since primer prices are controlled by two companies. If they can make 5% selling primers and 25% selling loaded ammo, which do you think they are going to do? Ammo sales are still brisk and some calibers are difficult to find.

Wonder why Fiocchi is not importing primers into the US? They have a decent product and would make the market more competitive price wise.

Edited by verla

Just now, verla said:

I think about $100/1000 primers is going to be the new norm. Have seen less and have seen more, but this is about the average since primer prices are controlled by two companies. If they can make 5% selling primers and 25% selling loaded ammo, which do you think they are going to do? Ammo sales are still brisk and some calibers are difficult to find.

I think you’re not far off. I predict $75-85 to promote sales but as far as $35-40 goes, them days may be long gone. Sucks big time regardless. 

• 2 weeks later...

We will never see the days of $25/k ever again. Greed and demand have shown that a large amount of people will tolerate these crazy prices. We can hope they drop all we want but I think those days are gone. The saying of "I wish I would have bought more back then definitely hurts now" unless you somehow managed to stash away hundreds of thousands of primers, we will have to buy them sooner or later.

is 50/k even possible again?  it is starting to seem like 9mm bargain brands is less stress and a few bucks more than making your own factoring in brass, brass prep, bullets, primers, powder, and time.

Edited by 18111811

Primer prices will be $85/k+ at retail and $65/k+ at wholesale even when demand cools and things are "back to normal."  Those who want to complain about the cost can direct their complaints to those responsible for the continued rise in prices for energy, material, labor and shipping.  All of which have gone up in double-digit percentages over the past year to 18 months, and will likely continue to rise for at least another year.

1 hour ago, 18111811 said:

is 50/k even possible again?  it is starting to seem like 9mm bargain brands is less stress and a few bucks more than making your own factoring in brass, brass prep, bullets, primers, powder, and time.

To be fair, I just saw 9mm minor loads for $20/50. No idea how they shoot or what their QC is but I’d be willing to give it a shot. When I spend $15/50 for reman stuff from freedom. 

8 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Primer prices will be $85/k+ at retail and $65/k+ at wholesale even when demand cools and things are "back to normal."  Those who want to complain about the cost can direct their complaints to those responsible for the continued rise in prices for energy, material, labor and shipping.  All of which have gone up in double-digit percentages over the past year to 18 months, and will likely continue to rise for at least another year.

👍 Sad but true, and now with fuel prices soaring everything is going up more. I’m glad I filled up a month ago, just wished I had more storage. Several places I talked to said that even the cardboard for their packaging has almost doubled. 

On 3/3/2022 at 4:38 PM, Dirty_J said:

This is sounding very much like 2012. Deja vu. 😂

I wasn't buying ammo or components at that time, are you telling me it's been this bad before and bounced back to near normal prices? Because that's what I'd like to hear.

12 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I wasn't buying ammo or components at that time, are you telling me it's been this bad before and bounced back to near normal prices? Because that's what I'd like to hear.

It kinda did.  Places like PV kept prices low for years.  There were gougers for sure.  But I never saw something like this.  Would never have guesses birdshot would become so rare….kinda like rimfire last time.

From my recollection, your mileage may differ. Primers,
70’s - $6.90 per K

80’s - $12.50 per K

90’s - $35.00 per K

2000’s - $38-42 per K

There’s been some fluctuations within some of those years but they’ve usually always dropped back some. This time seems to be the worst and I think part of it is because of the speed of internet buying. Up until the 90’s or so you had to physically go into a store or phone in an order and that took more time. Plus in the 70’s & 80’s you had to work a couple extra hours to afford that brick of primers. The shotshell shortage I think was mainly hoarders which triggers everyone else. Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by Farmer
Punct

• 1 month later...