Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone know why sti is getting rid of their open guns?

nikdanja

On 11/1/2019 at 2:40 PM, zombywoof said:

I had a 2005 era STI Grandmaster. After tens of thousands of rounds, the frame and slide cracked. After several months wait, I received my warranted replacement. I asked for a DVC-O in 9 major. It arrived in mid 2019. I compared it to a few year old DVC-O of a friend of mind. It had several changes. 

I finished this season shooting Carry Optics and only dabbled with my new open gun. I have almost 3000 rounds through the gun with zero problems. I live in a ban state and I'm running STI gen 1 10 round mags. 

I just installed a steel grip and this gun runs nice. I sure hope they don't stop making open guns.

Im confused, they didn't fix the Grandmaster and gave you a free DVC? 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, louu said:

Im confused, they didn't fix the Grandmaster and gave you a free DVC? 

Yes. I sent the gun in for a cracked slide. I got a call a few days after it was as received. It was being repaired and the technician noticed the frame was also cracked. At that point I was told it was beyond repair and I would be issued a new DVC. 

They used several of my old guns parts. The magwell, optic, trigger and mag catch. 

At some point sending a new DVC vs replacing the entire Grandmaster makes some financial sense to them. If they even had all the parts.

I couldn't be happier.

20 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Yes. I sent the gun in for a cracked slide. I got a call a few days after it was as received. It was being repaired and the technician noticed the frame was also cracked. At that point I was told it was beyond repair and I would be issued a new DVC. 

Same story for me on an older Trubor but I still don't have my replacement, been waiting since March.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

They used several of my old guns parts. The magwell, optic, trigger and mag catch

At some point sending a new DVC vs replacing the entire Grandmaster makes some financial sense to them. If they even had all the parts.

I couldn't be happier.

Is cool they took care of you and your happy but I think it kinda sucks. I have an Apeiro with the Shulman barrel and I can't express how much I love that gun. It's the only gun I want to shoot and can't even imagine how many rounds I have through it. If it ever cracks beyond repair and they wanted to give me a different gun I think I would sell the new one and quit shooting. 

I posted a review here on the DVC when the demo models were first shown at nationals. I said it was overpriced crap hyped as the new hotness. Even if you forget all the other things that were bad about it, the trigger was garbage. A garbage trigger on a several thousand dollar competition gun is inexcusable. I was ignored because it was the new hotness.

Later I lamented that the Trubor was going away, probably to get more people to buy their overpriced crap DVC. I think they failed big time with that decision too. I'm betting a lot of the entry-level business either went to CK, SPS or the used market.

Oh well. I hope they learn something and get back to what worked. I love my Grandmaster.

From what i understand from a reputable STI rep, they are not "getting rid of open guns".  They are halting production for 2020 to focus on the new staccato line, and brining the DVC line into the staccato fold.  Because they have a lot of LE/Fed contracts to push out right now, it makes sense from a business perspective to focus the efforts on the new line and then push back into the open guns once they get up to speed.  

On 11/9/2019 at 10:19 AM, Robertwil18 said:

From what i understand from a reputable STI rep, they are not "getting rid of open guns".  They are halting production for 2020 to focus on the new staccato line, and brining the DVC line into the staccato fold.  Because they have a lot of LE/Fed contracts to push out right now, it makes sense from a business perspective to focus the efforts on the new line and then push back into the open guns once they get up to speed.  

I kinda wish I worked for a le agency that had stis as their "issued gun"

On 11/9/2019 at 10:19 AM, Robertwil18 said:

You believe that? We quit now but we'll see ya in a year or so? LOL

14 hours ago, Brooke said:

You believe that? We quit now but we'll see ya in a year or so? LOL

STI has done this very thing before.  Focusing on production runs for large orders and then bringing other lines back into production.  I wouldn't worry about it yet.  Not to mention in the worst case, there are plenty of other builders making quality race guns for similar cost.  

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a month ago to order an Open but the STI rep stated production is halted and the DVC line discontinued. Didn't say anything about returning the line in the future.

LEAKED: STI International Discontinues 70% of Product Line | Firearm Rack
https://firearmrack.com/sti-discontinued/

Edited by PhotoRecon
Left words out.

Well, according to that Firearm Rack article: "This follows the trend set in 2018 when STI ceased production on the majority of their legacy models in favor of new and improved guns."  Really?  New and impoved?  That's hilarious.  Gotta love the gun writers, they're always good for a laugh.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 7:52 AM, PhotoRecon said:

Tried a month ago to order an Open but the STI rep stated production is halted and the DVC line discontinued. Didn't say anything about returning the line in the future.

LEAKED: STI International Discontinues 70% of Product Line | Firearm Rack
https://firearmrack.com/sti-discontinued/

I've seen the 2020 catalog. No open guns. The only 40 is a 5.4 inch. Everything else is a tactical 9 mm, available with or without a slide mounted red dot. Timmys now run the company, here's hoping Dan Wesson gets their new double stack up and running.

On 11/21/2019 at 8:46 PM, RangerTrace said:

I think they may be chasing the money.  The USPSA market is pretty small in reality and there are dozens of custom smiths building Open and Limited guns.  The IDPA, LE, MIL and tactical timmy market is much larger.  

I heard this was the case... Also, my experience with ordering magazines was atrocious. It took them 3 months to get them to me and no one was answering emails or calls.

• 2 weeks later...
Wasn't the frame on both my Trojans, 9mm and .45 made in the Philippines?

Sometimes when the employees think they could do better and take over, they're wrong.

What lessons could they have learned from say, Wilson Combat?
STI isn't employee owned any more, are least not exclusively...

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/01/sti-partners-with-westwind-investors/#axzz68gj20PQ5

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PatJones said:

STI isn't employee owned any more, are least not exclusively...

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/01/sti-partners-with-westwind-investors/#axzz68gj20PQ5

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I know, but I was talking about the development of a company over time. Some of the things in the past have lead to where they are today.

• 2 weeks later...

I cracked my slide on a 7 year old (when I traded for it)  STI, it had been tri-topped with 3 popple holes plus it had been lightened in the rear with a racker cut. That gun had been shot so much STI replaced the slide and 2 Trubors to replace the shot-out originals..Now, It did take a good while to get the parts from STI and I even ask them not to fit anything. 
 I talked to Art and we decided to go ahead and get a frame from PT and a SS grip and have them (Axiom) to  just do a new build. I’m looking forward to see what Art comes up with. I guess that’s not all that bad for starting out with an old STI with a cracked slide & 2 shot-out barrels... 

Edited by a matt