Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone know why sti is getting rid of their open guns?

nikdanja

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Who says they are not making open guns anymore?

I bet they are just ending the DVC lineup because the brand is tainted. 

Soon there will be a staccato - O or some bs. 

Why is it tainted?

No. They’re the problem children. The DVC series in particular is a headache all but promised.
Guess i am keeping mine for the long haul then whether i like it or not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Whatever happened to so & so coming back to STI in order to get the company back on track? Won’t be long until STI is a distant memory. What a huge fall from grace.

Yea I felt good about that decision, but look at us now,we don’t make that anymore. Maybe good for a well known shop to start building guns again.

I think it was Dave Dawson who returned to fix quality, but I could be wrong. I heard that from other forum enthusiasts, not STI.

They probably should have axed the DVC name when they did that, at least for the competition guns to get away from all the slide cracking issues. Or the stories of slide cracking issues. And the stories of terrible service.

I also think that their open guns aren't very competitive if you look at features/price. If I'm happy with a plastic grip, I can go cheaper. But most people want metal, and you can get a metal gripped gun from a smaller builder for not much more money, and maybe actually get popple holes if you want them.  And they don't have a big name to trade on like Akai or SVI or Limcat or whoever.

Oh, and it doesn't help that they're not sponsoring anybody really good in USPSA. They're probably too busy chasing police contracts now.

52 minutes ago, parvusimperator said:

Oh, and it doesn't help that they're not sponsoring anybody really good in USPSA.

After they screwed over some of their professional shooters, by not paying their contracts to those shooters, it is likely they could never attract talent again. It is very sad that they some like that. 

Just now, Nevadazielmeister said:

After they screwed over some of their professional shooters, by not paying their contracts to those shooters, it is likely they could never attract talent again. It is very sad that they some like that. 

Oh geez, that I didn't hear about. Very sad to hear.

There was a point where STI began to notice that the prices being charged for custom 2011s were considerably higher than the prices it was charging.

Reasonably, STI wants to bring its prices up somewhat from where they are, but not quite to custom prices. They know they are seen as the entry-level 2011, so they can't just raise prices. At least not easily. So, boom! The DVC is born. It's flashy, and the price is higher. Gradually, the old lines (Trubor, Edge, etc) are discontinued.

People of course begin to notice that the guns are not really different from the old lines, and in fact may even be worse. Comps and slides are cracking. People still go to custom vendors. So the company thinks... another brand redesign. If competition shooters know the product isn't worth the new price, let's advertise to... tactical shooters! After all they're spending the prices we want on custom Glocks, we can get them to buy our guns! They're half plastic already!

So they drop the Staccatos, marketed towards timmies. Enter the gradual phase-out of the DVC line.

7 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

Ya but it’s a contract. A legal binding contract so if they don’t pay, here comes the lawyers. 

3 hours ago, NickBlasta said:

There was a point where STI began to notice that the prices being charged for custom 2011s were considerably higher than the prices it was charging.

Reasonably, STI wants to bring its prices up somewhat from where they are, but not quite to custom prices. They know they are seen as the entry-level 2011, so they can't just raise prices. At least not easily. So, boom! The DVC is born. It's flashy, and the price is higher. Gradually, the old lines (Trubor, Edge, etc) are discontinued.

People of course begin to notice that the guns are not really different from the old lines, and in fact may even be worse. Comps and slides are cracking. People still go to custom vendors. So the company thinks... another brand redesign. If competition shooters know the product isn't worth the new price, let's advertise to... tactical shooters! After all they're spending the prices we want on custom Glocks, we can get them to buy our guns! They're half plastic already!

So they drop the Staccatos, marketed towards timmies. Enter the gradual phase-out of the DVC line.

That’s sad cause I remember getting into the game and sti was everywhere. Now everyone has gone custom. You can pay an extra $1500 bucks and get a new gun with a metal grip. For limited that is. 

9 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Talk about poor decisions. It was smart for svi to split off and focus on quality. 

Ya SV can’t complain about work now. These guys are over 2 years out last I checked!

Just now, nikdanja said:

Hmm. Maybe the guy I called just blurted out a number. Oh well, to late now. 

They do stand by their guns tho. My buddy has a used sv and be cracked the feed ramp. Sv said they will replace it for free but the down side is it’s gonna be a month or so.