Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone know why sti is getting rid of their open guns?

nikdanja

A guy I shoot with went through 3 dvc open guns.  He would shoot the season with the cracked comp and send it back for a replacement at the end of the season.  Started the new season with a brand new gun.  Was a little pathetic they couldnt get it right.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about price comparison between STI vs a custom gun and what is included.
Does a custom gun include 3 magazines?
I see that the DVC-O includes 1-170 and 2-140 which gets you in the game to play ball... even if it is a short life expectancy of the DVC

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, buss544 said:

Question about price comparison between STI vs a custom gun and what is included.
I see that the DVC-O includes 1-170 and 2-140 which gets you in the game to play ball... even if it is a short life expectancy of the DVC

Seriously???By the time you replace the springs, followers and base pads, the cost savings is irrelevant compared to the annoyance of having an open gun that doesn’t run reliably

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

keep in mind that was also march of 2019...now its almost november. im sure they have just added to their waittime in that time period

Wait time *should* be down.  They have new machines that can make frames at 3x the rate of their old machine.  

2 hours ago, Edge40 said:

A guy I shoot with went through 3 dvc open guns.  He would shoot the season with the cracked comp and send it back for a replacement at the end of the season.  Started the new season with a brand new gun.  Was a little pathetic they couldnt get it right.

I know a guy like this as well.  Has 3.  Main gun, backup and one at STI, in constant rotation.

Seriously???By the time you replace the springs, followers and base pads, the cost savings is irrelevant compared to the annoyance of having an open gun that doesn’t run reliably
Seriously???
Still didn't answer the question.

3 hours ago, nikdanja said:

Ya but it’s a contract. A legal binding contract so if they don’t pay, here comes the lawyers. 

You watch too much TV. 

No, there are some who believe that lawyers are NOT the solution to everything. They just move on to other companies and other things. It is good to know people like this who are not sue happy. 

It's funny I spent 3k on an sti and I feel like the trigger is still very sloppy. 

By contrast I have a 1911 that i milled out and built from the ground up and i feel like the trigger is so much more clean and sharp feeling. 

For the money, I have a hard time justifying buying an sti when you can Save more money and get a better gun

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

Whatever happened to so & so coming back to STI in order to get the company back on track? Won’t be long until STI is a distant memory. What a huge fall from grace.

It didn't take long for him to go back to making sights.

I've spent a lot of time talking to Tony Pignato the last several months putting our group purchase together.  They are making an obvious run at the LE/MIL market right now with a focus on reliability.  I didn't ask about open guns specifically, but they are building about 50 guns a day right now and I don't think they will be going away anytime soon.  

23 minutes ago, buss544 said:

Seriously???
Still didn't answer the question.

When you order a custom gun, you can get as many magazines as you want. That’s why it’s called custom. Price will be adjusted accordingly. The point, which I’m not sure you’re grasping, is that including some STI stock magazines does not make up for their perceived reliability inadequacies

1 hour ago, buss544 said:

yes look at whats included,

compare an Atlas Titan to a DVC-L

for about $1k more you get a $650 grip, EGW fire controls, a fantastic trigger job, and a better fit gun. On top of that you get customer service that is miles ahead of STI. to me it seems like a simple decision to me. 

Admittedly you get a couple less magazines but we are not talking about starter gun money here if a STI was $2K like the edge used to be then sure but we are not.

5 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

yes look at whats included,

compare an Atlas Titan to a DVC-L

for about $1k more you get a $650 grip, EGW fire controls, a fantastic trigger job, and a better fit gun. On top of that you get customer service that is miles ahead of STI. to me it seems like a simple decision to me. 

Admittedly you get a couple less magazines but we are not talking about starter gun money here if a STI was $2K like the edge used to be then sure but we are not.

Bingo. DVC-L is probably going to need some trigger work done, and the PT Evo grip is way better than the plastic grip. And smiths charge a bunch if you want to fit a metal grip later.

Plus, the Titan doesn't have slide cuts that create a bunch of stress risers.

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

keep in mind that was also march of 2019...now its almost november. im sure they have just added to their waittime in that time period

I placed a SV order in early September and was told it was a 6-8 month wait. They have a bunch of new machines that reduced the lead time. 

1 hour ago, ELSOS said:

I placed a SV order in early September and was told it was a 6-8 month wait. They have a bunch of new machines that reduced the lead time. 

They're letting the intern build your gun.

4 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I've spent a lot of time talking to Tony Pignato the last several months putting our group purchase together.  They are making an obvious run at the LE/MIL market right now with a focus on reliability.  I didn't ask about open guns specifically, but they are building about 50 guns a day right now and I don't think they will be going away anytime soon.  

Trace (asking this respectfully) can you explain why a LE agency would use taxpayer funds to pay 5 maybe 6 times the cost per unit when compared to a glock?  

1 hour ago, Hawk21 said:

Trace (asking this respectfully) can you explain why a LE agency would use taxpayer funds to pay 5 maybe 6 times the cost per unit when compared to a glock?  

I think you hit the nail on the head   "use taxpayer funds" its not their money and they spend it that way

18 hours ago, Hawk21 said:

I can't speak for other Agencies, but we (Texas Rangers) are buying these with our own money.  And not everyone will buy one.  Some will buy 2-3 to pass them on to their kids and grandkids.  They are giving us a really good discount on an already fairly priced pistol.  We've all paid a lot more for SV, etc.

And FWIW, we pay taxes too.  

based on how they are discontinuing guns. I still think they only care about the LEO market now. Pretty much all you see. Selling expensive guns to Swat teams and whatnot that have big budgets. 

The DVC was kind of a s#!t show, DVC Classic had a bunch of issues, The Open guns had cracks. Dave Dawson was there but then left.

If your getting started its a great base gun, but your going to spend a bunch of money to make it how you want it. Just pay the extra 1g and get a custom built. 

I was disappointed when they did away with the 1911s and the contingency program. Especially since the new slogan is 'Find you Win'