Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nice guns dont make better shooters

rock751

What my title says isn't really a new thing. Most people know that its not the gun that makes people a better shooter. I just shot my 2nd USPSA match this weekend using my stock Glock 34 in Limited. I'm only shooting Limited because I only have 2 mag carriers.  Out  of 18 other people shooting limited I got 5th place with my minor  power factor Glock and I'm really happy with that. 

I'm very guilty of going on social media and almost drooling over my favorite shooters and their much nicer guns. I always tell myself that I should get one someday. But at both of my matches when I was shooting against people with "better" guns than me I knew that their is no reason to get something nicer because I'm not even close to out shooting my Glock. It almost the only time that I haven't wanted something nicer LOL. All of the mistakes were because of me and I would have shot exactly the same with a different gun. 

With all of that said I think I crushed it my second match. My first one I took it easy and slow. This one I pushed just a little and I think it paid off. I also took my buddy to his first match and we  both had a blast. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, dansedgli said:

Life is too short to shoot guns you don't like. 

I do love my Glock but.... fancy CZs and tricked out 2011s just seem like they are amazing. I totally understand if people buy a nicer guns because they just enjoy it more

Correct, and we have guys that placed in the top 10 at nationals shooting glocks, reinforcing what you are saying. When it comes to gun / gear selection (including ammo), is to have stuff that works. After that, caliber / mag capacity / gear that is competitive for your division. Beyond that....it comes down to competency and training. 

Now if you are going to spend lot's of time in the sport, it's well worth getting something you enjoy shooting which may or may not be an expensive 2011. There is also something to be said for a less complex platform that is easier to maintain. Shooters choice!

If you can't afford a $5k 2011, get a sub $1000 gun and put the rest into practice ammo, training, and classes.

9 hours ago, rock751 said:

1.    I got 5th place with my minor  power factor Glock and I'm really happy with that. 

2.    All of the mistakes were because of me and I would have shot exactly the same with a different gun. 

1.  You should be very proud of that - fantastic, and congratulations.     :cheers:

2.  IMHO, you would shoot better if you had improved :   trigger,  sights,  magwell,  grip,   accuracy job, shooting Major.

Or, at least they wouldn't hurt any.

Improvements on guns are made, at large expense, because they improve performance, IMHO.     :) 

Obviously no reason to improve your shooting, since you're having a blast shooting a stock Glock.

Have fun with it.

It's definitely the arrow, not the Indian!

Kidding. Correct. Better guns do not make the shooter any better. Though, some options help.  

Buy what you like. Don't buy what you don't. That's my motto. 

While I like the glock and shoot one currently in CO. If I was shooting Limited I'd probably choose something else.  I know who shot what this year at nats and where they finished. I'm just saying while I like the glock and shoot one well, for Limited where I can have something like a  2011, I'm choosing that over a glock. This is based on gear. There are other factors to consider. Like cost or maintenance.  

OP, it's awesome that your getting into the sport and having a good experience!  Sounds like your doing well. 

Edited by B_RAD

I’m just a weekend warrior who isn’t in this game to be national champion. While I did spend quite a bit to have two custom open 2011’s, if I went back to Production I would go back to a 34 or an XDM and keep it simple. To me simplicity is the beauty of Production.

As you said, no one is buying a new expensive gun because they think they will shoot better. We buy fancy guns because that is what makes us happy. Not saying your trying to talk anyone out of that but I do see it often.

It’s the same as any hobby with wanting the next newest or coolest thing, and there is nothing wrong with it. I think this mindset should bc encouraged rather than discouraged. Get what makes you happy. It’s how we push manufacturers to develop the next coolest thing. If we all kept buying glocks imagine how boring that would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot with regular group of friends and CZ Fanboys. They like to pick on my gen 4 G34. Their guns all cost about 3 times as much as mine and I still beat  them on a regular basis. 

One thing I like about competing with a Glock is that my carry gun is a G19. While they’re not identical it still feels so familiar when I pick it up. 

I've said many times, and absolutely believe, that there is now amount of gadgetry that will make up for lack of basic shooting fundamentals. If you haven't mastered the basics a $10,000 pistol isn't going to help you. 

BJ Norris won the Carry Optics class at the Steel Challenge this year with an overall time of 75.37. KC Eusebio took the open class with a time of 78.34. How does someone shooting Carry Optics beat the time of an open shooter? It certainly wasn't by having the latest greatest gadgets.

You want to be good? Put your wallet back in your pocket and learn to SHOOT.

BTW: Both shooting Glocks.

Edited by Dranoel

3 hours ago, Dranoel said:

I've said many times, and absolutely believe, that there is now amount of gadgetry that will make up for lack of basic shooting fundamentals. If you haven't mastered the basics a $10,000 pistol isn't going to help you. 

BJ Norris won the Carry Optics class at the Steel Challenge this year with an overall time of 75.37. KC Eusebio took the open class with a time of 78.34. How does someone shooting Carry Optics beat the time of an open shooter? It certainly wasn't by having the latest greatest gadgets.

You want to be good? Put your wallet back in your pocket and learn to SHOOT.

BTW: Both shooting Glocks.

I’ve never met a single person who though that an expensive gun would make them shoot better though. This whole argument is a fallacy that most of the time is perpetuated by people that want to always announce to the world that they  “beat people with fancy guns all the time with my stock glock”. It’s some kind of complex that these people have if you really dig deep into the behavioral psychology of it. 

Yes it’s absolutely true that expensive guns will not substantially improve your shooting ability and especially not so to the degree that these guns cost above your average gun. Meaning that yes a 2011 with a great trigger will give you marginal improvement over a glock but no way in hell does it improve your skill 10 times for 10 times the price. But I circle back to my point, no one is spending $6,000 on the gun for that reason. They simply WANT IT because they like it and can afford it or even those that can’t afford it still DESIRE IT or save up towards it. I’ve never heard of anyone making this bogus claim that they will become a much better shooter because of the gun.

I respect all the offers of advice that are aware of this and just suggest that the money could be spent towards things like training or ammo that could improve your ability as long as the person asking the questions said that was their intent to become better. I can’t respect when people are dismissive of someone else’s desires and especially not when they feel the need to interject how great of a shooter they are with a stock gun tooting their own horn. No one asked you about your shooting ability! (Not directed to Dranoel)

Edited by hurley326
Spelling**

On 10/13/2019 at 7:30 PM, dansedgli said:

Life is too short to shoot guns you don't like. 

Amen!  Ergonomics is one of the biggest things for me. i don't like glock ergonomics, and DA Cz trigger is too far forward for my fingers.  I stick to 1911/2011/springfield guns for ergonomics.

31 minutes ago, hurley326 said:

I’ve never met a single person who though that an expensive gun would make them shoot better though. This whole argument is a fallacy that most of the time is perpetuated by people that want to always announce to the world that they  “beat people with fancy guns all the time with my stock glock”. It’s some kind of complex that these people have if you really dig deep into the behavioral psychology of it....

This is really well said. 

I run a Glock because that's what I have and it's a cheap entry point. 

But I hate the argument of a budget gun beating an expensive gun as money is all relevant but skill is usually the deciding factor. I know people that balk at a 5k pistol but is it any different than buying a 5k watch? I don't hear anyone saying that the guy with the Rolex can tell time so much better than the guy with the Timex.

I do feel like the gun and gear are the about the cheapest part of getting into this game if you plan to take it seriously and shoot a lot. So you might as well shoot something you enjoy to shoot.

We have a newer C-level Production shooter at my most regular match who has been doing pretty well with his G34: likely to get B-class soon. A couple months ago he mentioned switching guns so I lent him a Shadow 2 and a 75 Shadow (short dust cover) and their associated gear. After playing around for a couple weeks he figured the G34 was good enough and it wasn't worth switching.

OP: Keep telling yourself that until you can afford to get something better!   I shot a Glock for a while in Limited, and when I switched to a steel framed pistol with an incredible trigger it made an immediate difference.  Of course you can make GM with your Glock, 2 guys in my area did it.  But the truth is, some pistols really are better than others for what we do.  I hear "It's the indian, not the arrow" a lot, but do people realize how much time archers spend selecting and testing their arrows?

I think Dolly Parton sums it all up with this quote if you change a few words “Money(expensive gun) cannot buy you happiness(make you a great shooter), but you can sure dress nice(look good)while you are looking(working) for it. 
🏻

I think Dolly Parton sums it all up with this quote if you change a few words “Money(expensive gun) cannot buy you happiness(make you a great shooter), but you can sure dress nice(look good)while you are looking(working) for it. 
[emoji1308]

Expensive Gun can absolutely buy you happiness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wide range of discussion in these forums on this subject spans from the "run what you've got" on one end of the spectrum, to the "sky is the limit" or "whatever shiny popper makes you happy" on the other. The existence of these forums are testimony to the fact that there is no single answer or solution to any of the variables in our sport. I think we'll all agree that if you set personal [shooting sports] goals for yourself, you'd be wise to choose the equipment that best allows you to achieve them in the most efficient way possible. You can drive a nail with a crescent wrench... But there are many alternatives, influenced by how good at it you intend to be...

2 hours ago, Shep said:

If this is all true, where are the High Points and Taurus. I've shot the not so good, and can say with out a doubt...its way easier and a lot more fun with something nicer.

I think there is a minimum quality that those don't hit. 

I would think Glock, M&P, etc would be on the minimum quality side and accessories side of thing.

So maybe the Glock 34 should be the only gun eligible in USPSA.  Lets see how that works out in match participation. Not sure why anybody should be deciding what gun I choose to shoot. If you can't afford one that's not my problem  Should have paid more attention in school. 

On 10/25/2019 at 6:30 AM, obsessiveshooter said:

OP: Keep telling yourself that until you can afford to get something better!   I shot a Glock for a while in Limited, and when I switched to a steel framed pistol with an incredible trigger it made an immediate difference.  Of course you can make GM with your Glock, 2 guys in my area did it.  But the truth is, some pistols really are better than others for what we do.  I hear "It's the indian, not the arrow" a lot, but do people realize how much time archers spend selecting and testing their arrows?

So true!  Actually, the more comparable statement would be "it's the indian, not the bow".  The point holds true though.