Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nice guns dont make better shooters

rock751

On 10/23/2020 at 9:32 AM, DD78 said:

If you're talking about a local match, and are looking at place rather what percentage you finished compared to the winner of your division, the placement is meaningless.  For example, let's say you came in 5th in limited.  Awesome right?  Then you look at what percentage you can in compared to the person who won limited and see that you're 40%.  That's the bottom of C class.  A lot of people look at their placement versus the more important metric of percentage of the winner.  If you went to a sectional or area match, that 5th place would likely turn into a 60th or lower.  

Don't take my post as criticism, or trolling because it's not.  I use percentage of the winner in my division as a way to gauge whether or not I'm improving.  If I'm consistently improving, that percentage should keep rising when shooting against the same better shooters.  

Regarding guns, the gun doesn't make the shooter, but a good shooter with an expensive gun knows how to leverage the gun to shoot better.  A new shooter with a 6K limited gun will not shoot much better than if they were shooting a Glock or some other plastic gun.  They might improve a little bit, but not that much.  There is one local guy who has an expensive 2011, and when he made the switch, his skills or percentage of where he finished in his division didn't change.  He just doesn't have the base fundamentals of shooting down.  If you ask him to shoot a group at a head box at 25 yards, out of 10 rounds one might be in the head box.  

why buy a cheap or inexpensive gun?

Buy the best you can afford.

When your budget blaster breaks or malfunctions at a major match, how much did you save?

I know there are some guys like Nils rocking it with an inexpensive production gun but that is rare.

I know people will bring up coley and his glock, ain't much glock in coley's glock.

Yes the average shooter will see a benefit of shooting a $6,000 limited gun over a Glock, better trigger, heavier, it makes a big difference.

Is a headshot at 25 yards something that is done at a lot of big matches?

Good skill to have but not something that will be seen much.

I have seen GM's cry about Standards at Nationals that didn't have shots that hard.

As you improve, the shooters you are shooting against are or should be improving also, you are not the only one practicing and getting better.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, DirkD said:

why buy a cheap or inexpensive gun?

When your budget blaster breaks or malfunctions at a major match, how much did you save?

I LOL at the people suffering through malfunctions with expensive, custom guns while cheap ass Glocks, CZs, and S&Ws keep on trucking with accuracy to spare to win this game lock, stock, and barrel.

43 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I LOL at the people suffering through malfunctions with expensive, custom guns while cheap ass Glocks, CZs, and S&Ws keep on trucking with accuracy to spare to win this game lock, stock, and barrel.

That's definitely the exception rather than the rule.  At least when it comes to custom guns from reputable builders.  Most of them run just fine.  Doesn't mean a guy with a Glock or RIA won't beat him, but that doesn't happen very often.

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I certainly miss the days of dropping Glock mags in the mud and sloshing them around in a puddle to clean them. But it's not real common to see a well built custom gun fail to run. There is a lot of stuff to keep up with, namely ammo QC and mag maintenance, Keeping the guns cleaner, etc. Usually when they don't run it's some kind of preventative maintenance needed.

Then again there are the tinkerers. LOL "Finally got my Open gun to work 100% so I think I'll go home and change out the (name any part)". We used to have a guy around here notorious for doing just that.

54 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Then again there are the tinkerers. LOL "Finally got my Open gun to work 100% so I think I'll go home and change out the (name any part)". We used to have a guy around here notorious for doing just that.

Ahahaha  I think I know who you're talking about..........

19 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I see more problems with Glocks people try to make into a race gun than a quality custom gun.

Best way to make a Glock not run is by trying to make it better and throw in a bunch of upgrades.

Why don't we see Glocks winning National Titles very often?

A good gun doesn't make a bad shooter better but a cheap gun will not be as good as a quality gun.

Why are there so many people shooting custom guns if it isn't worth it?

19 hours ago, Sarge said:

I certainly miss the days of dropping Glock mags in the mud and sloshing them around in a puddle to clean them. But it's not real common to see a well built custom gun fail to run. There is a lot of stuff to keep up with, namely ammo QC and mag maintenance, Keeping the guns cleaner, etc. Usually when they don't run it's some kind of preventative maintenance needed.

Started this game with a Beretta 92FS because it was on the cover of a gun magazine.  Could not hit $hit with it.  Sold it at the local gun store and bought something else.  It was so long ago, I've forgotten what it was.  Have gone through multiple guns in multiple divisions (including a couple of Glocks, a few STI's, SV's and custom built carbines) and have found some consistent things:

1.  A gun HAS to run, absolute dependability is first and foremost.

2.  A better trigger always helps.

3.  Quality Checking (QC) your ammuntion is mandatory, even if it's factory.  

Finally, @Sarge is correct.  Going from a stock production gun to a custom gun is like changing from your "Grocery Getter" car to a Top Fuel dragster.  They require more maintenance.  The good gun builders have much closer tolerances than what is put together at the factory.  A dirty racegun is going to stop well before a dirty Glock.  If it's not maintained properly, expect that it will malfunction at precisely the wrong moment....  Learn how to clean and maintain your gun so it will last until you have shot out the barrel.

Been there, done that, was 800+ miles from home with no backup gun....  At the next major, went to the vendor tent and bought a backup gun from George at EGW.

Lesson learned.  There is now a backup gun for every competitive division that I shoot.  For USPSA there are two PCCs and two CO guns.  For Steel Challange, there are two Rimfire Rifle Optic guns.  It's just one less concern, allowing you to focus on your performance.  

As others have said, don't feel like your equipment is holding you back.  Buy once.  Cry once.  Sell it when you are done with it.  A well maintained, always functioning gun will make the new owner very happy.

BC

I've said it before, if your nice gun means you enjoy it more, will practice more and will enjoy matches more then yes, nice guns will make you shoot better. 

I made Master with a Glock but I made GM with a Tanfoglio and a 2011. Switching platforms reinvigorated my motivation and increased my practice/participation level. 

On 11/30/2020 at 4:50 PM, Sarge said:

🙋🏻‍♂️🤦‍♂️🍺😎

19 minutes ago, lroy said:

Does anyone really give a chit what other people are shooting?

Figured most people might look at it and say neat, then get on with their lives

People are more worried about others more than themselves. Also people are more worried about stirring the pot with threads like this than they are about which gun people shoot.

I'm a newcomer to the sport, and I've heard lots of people say the gun doesn't matter (much).  But I didn't really believe it until I bought a Shadow 2 to replace my Glock 17.  It's a sweet gun, and feels great to handle and to shoot, but I'm not going to move up to the next class because of it.  Less muzzle flip is great, but it seems like if you have the technique to control the muzzle well enough on a Shadow 2, you'll also be able to control it well enough on a polymer gun.  And now I have to be a lot more careful about sand and dust getting into it or into the magazines because it will jam a lot sooner than my Glock would, and I also can't shoot it in IDPA.  But, like MuayThaiJJ said, it's supposed to be fun, shoot whatever the heck makes you happy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...