lstange

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheap being relative to open I guess. 
With optic reliability to commit to this division you really need at least 3 sets of optics. One on the gun. One back up. And one out getting repaired. Realistically an extra slide with your backup dot mounted and sited is best option. 

Almost $1500 in “parts” there. 
Im just getting into CO myself and it’s not as easy as some believe. Or maybe I’m not that good. 😎

PS. Do people really care about overall finish? I just look at my division. 

• 5 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, Malarky112 said:

Cheap being relative to open I guess. 
With optic reliability to commit to this division you really need at least 3 sets of optics. One on the gun. One back up. And one out getting repaired. Realistically an extra slide with your backup dot mounted and sited is best option. 

Almost $1500 in “parts” there. 
Im just getting into CO myself and it’s not as easy as some believe. Or maybe I’m not that good. 😎

PS. Do people really care about overall finish? I just look at my division. 

It would seem to be that way at the moment.

• 4 months later...

At the MN sectional, the high shooter was... CO. A junior prodigy who works very hard and has a super mature and level head. 

Over a top 5 National PCC competitor and previous Limited and Production national champions, though. 

CO style run and gun is really appealing for a lot of people newer to the sport and also people established in the sport. So many good things about the class. 

Edited by -JCN-

35 minutes ago, NETim said:

My old eyes are happy CO exists.  

It's not a crime to age, kids.  :)

Truth I'm getting out of limited major my eyesight got old 😔 trying out carry optics cant justify going open yet.   

• 3 weeks later...

I watch the stats on PS for the matches I participate in and at least in area 5 it seems CO is booming, production is dwindling, limited and open are usually pretty even with open usually having more, PCC is also popular. 

Production is pretty much stone dead at the hands of CO here in western PA—barely more populated than Single Stack at the matches I attend, and a quick glance through Practiscore shows that it isn't much better at the Pittsburgh-area matches I don't usually make it to.

CO is the most subscribed division for the upcoming WA state championship, over 1/3 of the 157 competitors. 

Division
Limited 26
Limited 10 1
Open 32
Production 7
Revolver 3
Single Stack 6
Carry Optics 55
Pcc 27

2019 match had more competitors (215), but fewer CO competitors: 

Limited - 50 

L10 - 4

Open - 36

Production - 19

Revolver - 3

SS - 12

CO - 43

PCC - 48

Wow this is an old post brought back from the back catalog isn't it.  Thats crazy seeing how much has changed in just a year.  I remember when carry optics was nothing more than production with an optic added, and now its a whole division of its own right.

I have to say its growth in popularity makes sense.  In all honestly, I see it replacing Limited.  What was a limited gun a decade ago, generally speaking, was a tricked out service gun of the era.  Extended magazine, magwell, tuned trigger, etc.   Now a modern era tricked out service gun has a slide mounted optic. So perspectively carry optics IS the new limited.  

I would probably dabble in CO if the optics held up. When people have three because of the logic you need one on the gun, one spare, and one to be in for service at any given time is a no go for me.

CO is just getting started.  The reliability of the optics will get sorted out by the "market".  I'm OLD, so I remember the START of optics in open.   There was a whole cottage industry of "dot doctors" that repaired or tuned dots for reliability. Now is much better...

CO brought me BACK to the sport.  Open was just to expensive and too much hassle.  Limited was ok.  But for CO, I can buy ammo  at the store and shoot a match. 

And... and this is the big one.....

Carry Optics IS FUN! 😃

At this point, it would be interesting to see if anyone can offer up a recent Level II or higher match where CO wasn't one of the top 2 divisions. Hell, even a decent-sized local match would be nice.

Seems like Production is just dying out. And I wonder if raising the ammo limit to 15 could alter that a bit.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:57 PM, Sarge said:

I would probably dabble in CO if the optics held up. When people have three because of the logic you need one on the gun, one spare, and one to be in for service at any given time is a no go for me.

My first CO optic was a Trijicon RMR.  I ran it for 10,400 rounds in matches and practice in a little under a year and with no backup optic anywhere.  I bought a Trijicon SRO to replace it on my CO gun just because the SRO is much more user friendly with that big window and moved the RMR to my real carry pistol.  The RMR is now at just over 10,500 trouble free rounds and the SRO has accumulated 1160 rounds fired in less than 6 weeks.

If you want the surest bet, get a Trijicon.

3 hours ago, tbarker13 said:

At this point, it would be interesting to see if anyone can offer up a recent Level II or higher match where CO wasn't one of the top 2 divisions. Hell, even a decent-sized local match would be nice.

Seems like Production is just dying out. And I wonder if raising the ammo limit to 15 could alter that a bit.

Production is dead in my area (western OH) and speaking for myself, upping the capacity to 15 rounds won't make me go back (that's where I started).

You could set production and CO mag limits at 15 like IPSC and I still would not shoot production.

You could even bring CO back to 10 rounds and I still would not change.