Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubing pistol brass

Dusty

For those that lube their brass with peg 75 lanolin mixed with iso alcohol, do you make sure every piece is laying side ways?  I usually tumble rifle brass after lining and sizing, but with pistol, I plan on just sizing and loading in 1 step. How critical is it to keep it out of the case mouth?  Will it contaminate the primer if any gets inside?

23 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

I use a circular tupperware bowl and I shake vigourously after spraying.

Are you spraying the brass directly?  I am using a Tupperware bowl, it’s just a pain to get them all laying sideways, unless I just do a minimum amount. Not sure if any gets inside the case, if it will contaminate the primer. 

Old towel...

Dampen with lube.

Pour a bunch of brass into center of towel.

Pick up the four corners of towel, brass hangs low in center.

Alternately raise and lower opposite sides allowing brass to roll back and forth.

Dump into bucket.

14 hours ago, Dusty said:

For those that lube their brass with peg 75 lanolin mixed with iso alcohol, do you make sure every piece is laying side ways?  I usually tumble rifle brass after lining and sizing, but with pistol, I plan on just sizing and loading in 1 step. How critical is it to keep it out of the case mouth?  Will it contaminate the primer if any gets inside?

I spray my mixture of Iso/lanoline which I cannot remember off the top of my head, into a 1 gallon ziplock bag.  2 sprays for first batch of loading session and only 1 spray for every batch after initial batch for that loading session.    Put 5 hand full of brass into bag.  Massage thoroughly, and dump into a 1 gallon bucket to dry.  I have Qty. 3, 1 gallon buckets to help speed up the drying process.  Only one bag per bucket to ensure the mixture will dry. 

I do clean my lube off after lubing using electrical contact cleaner.  I feel you can shoot it without cleaning the lube off, but you would need to clean your bags more often.  Plus I prefer to get rid of the lube, so all of my ammo can be stored dry.  I do find the lanoline gets sticker the longer it sits on surfaces.  

The Lanoline mixture is extremely cheap.  So if money is not an issue, one shot may be the way to go.  If you are on a budget and have the time, Lanoline may be the route to go.  

when i dry tumbled, i used Dillon case lube - worked great.  now, I am wet tumbling and i am using brass juice in a plastic tub with lid and shake, shake, shake...it works OK.  I have used one shot and they both work similar.  I am seriously thinking about dry tumbling with the Dillon case lube after the wet process...

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, davsco said:

do you do anything after loading the rounds, such as wiping them down with a towel etc?

If I want to run them through my DAA auto brass marker I tumble in corn cob for 10 minutes but I have done  thousands with out cleaning off with no issues.

Edited by dtuns

I use a cardboard tray that holds a dozen cans of dogfood or similar before they go on the shelf. I make sure the cases are on their sides, then a couple blasts of One Shot Case Lube. That lube will migrate around the cases in a minute. Then into the case feeder. One Shot leaves a little to no residue.