Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lubing pistol brass

Dusty

13 hours ago, MadBomber said:

I use carbide dies and never use lube on pistol brass.

Just because you can does not mean you should.  What I mean by that is people say you don't need to lube when using carbide bits.  My press runs infinitely better using lube with my carbide dies.  Less interruptions in loading due to the press jerking around when loading without lube.  I imagine lube also increases the longevity of the dies and the press.   

On 10/14/2022 at 6:24 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Just because you can does not mean you should.  What I mean by that is people say you don't need to lube when using carbide bits.  My press runs infinitely better using lube with my carbide dies.  Less interruptions in loading due to the press jerking around when loading without lube.  I imagine lube also increases the longevity of the dies and the press.   

I used to not lube then tried the one shot makes the press run much smoother and easier to pull the handle so now I always use one shot.

On 10/13/2022 at 7:35 PM, Sarge said:

You have no idea what you’re missing!

Same here I use a Dillon square deal B, and I take all the dies out of it except for the sizing and decapiting die. I run all of my bras through that and let it drop in the bucket this way I also take Out in the 380 brass 9x21 brass or Strange brass like the 2 pc crap. Then I tumble them with dry media for couple hours put my press back together and reload them that's really easy and smooth this way there's no Jerking or anything you don't got to worry about some bad Cases messing up your run. It's a little more work but I've got the time to do it.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, MadBomber said:

I use carbide dies and never use lube on pistol brass.  Rifle, I use One Shot.

I do too but have found that I have to lube some 9 brass to keep from deforming the rims, some brands of brass just seem to stick, like BB.

But I always wet tumble after I lube and size, use to dry tumble but I got tired of the media getting stuck in the flash holes.

When I lube I use a gallon jar, spray and shake.

Edited by sharko

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve tried food grade silicon spray, just a quick pass for pistol and it smooths out the press. No need to tumble after loading. For rifle I mix lee sizing wax with 90% alcohol and spray, that gets wet tumbled to clean out primer pockets.

A couple or four aerosol spritzes of Frankford Arsenal case lube over a tray of around 400 water tumbled 9mm brass, thow it in the case feeder and load it.  Works better than One Shot and doesn't leave a sticky residue.  It's the best stuff I've used. 

I try to get some in the cases so the alpha dropper, or what ever expander you use, won’t stick. 

I am guessing your fear is getting it inside the case but bullet tension is from sizing brass and nothing else. Pretty sure a bullet won’t be extracted during feeding but our concern is instead always set back. 

I use the 75 PEG mixture now but the One Shot was much better so I’ll likely go back.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:18 PM, Dusty said:

Will it contaminate the primer if any gets inside?

I might be concerned if I was spraying lube onto already-primed brass, but if you’re priming the brass after you spray, I can’t see how any appreciable amount of lube could even come into contact with the new primer.  If anything, some powder might stick to the inner walls of the case, but that will still ignite after the flash.

I put my cases into a low-sided box, tip them all over so they lay on their sides, spray case lube over them, shake and swirl the box around to spread the lube around, dump them into the Dillon 650 case feeder, deprime, resize, prime, bell, charge, seat, crimp, and then run the completed rounds in corn cob for 15 to 20 minutes to polish and take off all the remaining case lube.  I then case gauge them and then put them into a “practice” can or a “match grade” can depending on how they gauge.  This system works great for me.

Edited by DwightSchrute