Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Die 9mm not kicking the Primer Out

Dutchman195

I just moved my 9mm from my 650 to my 1050. In my 650 I loaded 9mm no problemo. Same gear on my 1050-problem

About 1 in every 70 cases has the primer not get knocked out, Then the swagger smashes it back up into the case. Wasn't so bad at first but getting progressively worse. 

I called Dillon and talked with the tech, who surprisingly wasn't that helpful. his solution was that 'its a known issue, just put the die as low as you can and deal with it.'

It is a factory Dillon decapping die. I've tried any combination of die as low as possible, die backed off a little, shellplate tight, shellplate loose etc. Nothing seems to change the problem. 

I have noticed that when this happens, the primer is barely hanging onto the shell, almost as if the it is BARELY not knocking it out, or the primer is stuck on the end of the pin and is getting sucked back up when. Pictures attached: How far the primer is out of the pocket after the case goes in the die, and 2 the primer getting wrecked by the swagger. 

Any advice? longer decapping pin?

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Edited by Dutchman195

Have you tried taking the die apart and cleaning it ? Had a .22 case stuck on the pin once.

Ck for a broken spring.

Try a new decaping pin.(worn down not broken)

One of these has fixed my issues in the past.

Edited by AHI

Theres a few things you can do. What is happening is that the primer is ejecting and staying stuck to the primer pin and getting pulled back into the pocket

You can file the pin down to an angle so that it cant ghet stuck

or switch dies to another brand. I switched to a mighty armory but now I have to lube my cases which I never did before

Look at the tip of the decapping pin, see if the surface is rough or if the edges have a burr. Used to have same problem, rounded off the tip and polished it to remove sharp edges. No more primer pull backs.

Mark

2 hours ago, Dutchman195 said:

Like to a needle point? Just the very tip or the entire thing?

No, grind a bevel on one side so it's non-symmetrical. About 45 degrees or so. Don't make the tip sharp. 

What happens is the primer does get punched out, but sticks to the decapping pin, then gets pulled back into the pocket on the return stroke. The idea with a non-symmetrical pin tip is if the primer does stick to the pin, it'll get pulled back towards the case at an angle, and will fall off instead of sticking in the pocket. 

This helps a lot with all of my progressive press dies. 

RCBS, but the same idea.  It would push the primers out but the primer stuck to the tip, then as the shell casing moved downward it would pull the primer partly back into the pocket before pulling it off the tip of the pin.

I used a Dremel and cut off wheel to bevel one side a little bit, so it wasn't uniformly round/tapered anymore.  That's all it took.

IMG_0386.JPG

Mine was doing the same thing. Bad!!! Like 20 out of 100. 

I took the die out. Hit the pin tip a few times with a file to bevel it all the way around. I’ve now gotten over 4K rounds through the press with Zero primer drawback. 

On 9/13/2019 at 7:58 PM, mpom said:

Look at the tip of the decapping pin, see if the surface is rough or if the edges have a burr. Used to have same problem, rounded off the tip and polished it to remove sharp edges. No more primer pull backs.

Mark

My experience exactly.  My 650 would to leave an occasional primer partially in the case.  I called Dillon and the Tech I talked to was helpful.  He suggested smoothing the end of the decapping pin with fine sandpaper to remove any burrs and round the sharp edge.   Problem has never reoccured.

The problem might be misdiagnosed above.  There are a couple of possible causes.  One is described above.  Another is the decapping pin got moved up into the die by some swaged primer pockets.  Lower the pin so the primer gets pushed completely out.

Lastly, I had the primer draw problem when I first started using my LnL.  I followed advice similar to that given above and it made the problem worse.  Hornady said to file the bottom of the pin flat, then just break the edge.  That cured the problem 100%.

• 1 month later...

Grinding a flat wedge into the pin tip, and polishing it helps a lot.  Also, put a small vac on the primer tube.  I have the primer tube running into a small 1 gal paint bucket, and a HD Bucket Head vac running into the same bucket.  The VAC helps to suck the old primer off, and they stay trapped into the 1 gal pain bucket.  Sealing around the primer chute helps increase the vac pressure. 

On 9/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, m700 said:

Theres a few things you can do. What is happening is that the primer is ejecting and staying stuck to the primer pin and getting pulled back into the pocket

You can file the pin down to an angle so that it cant get stuck

On 9/13/2019 at 5:46 PM, Yondering said:

No, grind a bevel on one side so it's non-symmetrical. About 45 degrees or so. Don't make the tip sharp. 

What happens is the primer does get punched out, but sticks to the decapping pin, then gets pulled back into the pocket on the return stroke. The idea with a non-symmetrical pin tip is if the primer does stick to the pin, it'll get pulled back towards the case at an angle, and will fall off instead of sticking in the pocket. 

This helps a lot with all of my progressive press dies. 

Glad to hear you were able to fix your problem OP.

If the issue returns, try what these posts recommend on one of your pins. I had that issue until I added a set of angles to the tip, and haven't had a single primer pullback since then.

I'll try to post a photo later if I get the time, but I did it a little different than some describe, to ensure off-center hits. Not sure if this makes sense or not, but if you are looking from the end and divide the tip into thirds, two of those thirds have angles filed and the third portion left alone. I haven't experimented with other styles to see if they work any differently though

I had the same issue with the Dillon die, tried all the tricks with the decapping pin and still had issues, ended up just switching to a Redding Pro series titanium carbide die and I no longer have the primer suck back. I’ve loaded close to 10k rounds with Redding die and it’s never once sucked back a primer, I’m still on the original decapping pin