Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Cleaning - How often?

Stafford

In the last month, I've been in conversation with or overheard at least 4 shooters at matches say they never clean their guns. One did say that maybe once a year when changing springs the gun will get cleaned. Two of the shooters have Sig P320 Legions, one shoots CZ's, and the other shoots a Glock and a Tanfo. 

I used to clean every gun after every range session or match. Now, I clean my CZ after 3-4 matches, or approximately 500 rounds. But, I'm beginning to wonder if that is overcleaning.

For the typical production type guns, how often do competitors here clean? Or do you just add lube occasionally and go shoot? 

If you shoot a Limited or Open gun, do you clean your mags more often that the pistol?

lol @ 'overcleaning'. I enjoy when people who brag about not cleaning their guns have malfunctions. Because I'm polite, I wait until they unload and show clear before mocking them ruthlessly.

My experience is that not all guns need the same treatment. Sloppy rattly plastic guns don't need as much cleaning as overpriced extra-tight 1911's. Personally I enjoy handling my guns more than I like watching tv, so I clean them semi-frequently. I'll shoot a local match with a gun that has 50-100 rounds on it since the last cleaning, but I clean them in between each day at a major match. It's clear to me that mrs moto's 320 legion doesn't really need cleaning quite as often, but we shoot alot and I keep my guns a long time, so why would I want dirt and grit to be in there creating wear?

Magazines get cleaned every time they hit the ground.

I normally clean after every match.  Why take a chance?  

If I let my Ruger Mark IV go over 500 rounds without cleaning I'm asking for a jam.  Never had problems with my 1911s but still cleaned them after every match. That's the way I was taught and old habits are hard to die.

My revovlers get a good brushing and wipe down after every match.  I don't take the side plate off unless I'm replacing a spring.  The barrel gets brushed and then wet patched and clean patches.  Cylinders get brushed with a wire brush in an electric drill for 20 seconds each.  

I clean any gun I  plan to use in a match several days prior.  That way, cleaning is quite easy.  As a caveat, I've run mu Open gun and backup Open gun for three matches just to see what would happen.  I built the backup quite recently.  The main gun had to go back for a warranty frame replacement.  I refit everything and went shooting.  Both are tight as a drum.  In early Jan I'll wait for a really cold day, leave the guns out, and shoot 100 rounds through each.  If I get no jams I'll send them out for finishing so I have them back before the first match in Apr.

As far as mags go, if dropped in dirt, dust ot mud, they get cleaned immediately.  If on stone or gravel or grass, no.

Once a month here for a full cleaning and a bore snake and lube rag after every session.  With the caveat of EVERY TIME I shoot FFFg the gun/guns get a full cleaning.  Then a Complete tear down about every 6 months for the competition guns. 

Between 3 of us we shoot Titegroup in all of our pistols & PCC's. They tend to get pretty dirty. We clean/lube them every couple of matches depending on round count. I hate malfunctions and they never malfunction in practice. Deep clean before any major matches and then run rounds thru them before the major. Seems to work. 

gerritm

I'll do a basic clean before each major match.  Making sure to have at least 1 range session on it before the match.  I'll do a complete detail on them each year when replacing stuff.  I did this when I ran Shadows and Shadow 2s and now with my p320s.

As I'm playing some more with my 1911s right now I'm finding they do seem to run a little better clean compared to my production/CO guns.  They run a little sluggish after a few thousand rounds.  

I'll shoot 2 locals before I clean but add oil if it needs some. Usually doesn't. I have gone a little longer a couple of times just to test it out. Good cleaning before majors.

If I shoot my cowboy guns with black powder, like Modoc, they get cleaned pretty quickly.

16 hours ago, Southpaw said:

Maybe every few years...maybe...

yeah, this is about it for me too. But I shoot Glocks and they tend to run when dirty as long as you don’t lube them. Sure, it may wear out a few years early, but that will be my kids problem, not mine. 

I’d almost rather just buy another gun than clean the one I’m shooting…

I shoot 1911's and 2011's and I clean them after every session. 

mostly because I like clean guns, and it just bothers me if they're dirty. 

I enjoy nice pistols and revolvers, and therefore I want them to look good as well. 

To me they are not just a tool.  

Plus I know of a few guys shooting 1911's and not cleaning their guns...   Their guns don't run. 

(Also because their knowledge of the platform is limited, but still)

About every 3 matches unless a really nice day and  some extra time hit at the same time, then I may clean them anyway.  I don't bother with taking the extractor and firing pin out but maybe every 3rd cleaning.  My guns don't fail unless I have an ammo issue which is extremely rare.

10 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i shoot my open guns without cleaning until i hit a match where the gun fails and the slide slows down

once every 5ish matches seems to be the sweet spot

so you pay money to enter a match and take the time away from your family knowing that every 5th match or so your gun is going to fail? that sounds a bit bizarre when you say it out loud.