jsoupene

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
On 4/11/2021 at 10:14 PM, japarker82 said:

I've run with no problems small pistol, small rifle, and magnums. They all work fine. 

I run small pistol, small rife, and the magnum versions of each interchangeably. I have run thousands of rounds each without any issue whatsoever.. The magnum versions run about 10 ft/sec higher muzzle velocity and others have said 15 ft/sec. Don't think so much. Shoot

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2021 at 4:24 PM, jsoupene said:

I have always heard and have used small rifle primers in my 9mm major pistol because of harder cup.  Due to primer shortage what is everyone's opinion on using small pistol primers? 

I always preferred Magnum small pistol primers for .38SC and 9major.

I friend had a svi opengun and he told me, svi recommends sp primers which kinda blew my mind.

when I thought about it, PF used to be 175 for major and I used to load my 38SC to 180, and primers would flatten, crater, and blow the dimple back out, so rifle primers made sense

after that I started used spm with no problem, until this latest primer famine, now I use what I can find

• 4 weeks later...

I have been running Fed 205s SRPs for 9mm major without issue and I also tried some CCI 550 small pistol magnum primers, which seemed to work as well. As some others have said, I think any and all will work. I was recommended to start with SRP because they are rater for higher pressures. I've never used SPP in my major loads, but most the people I shoot with do without issue.

Like others have mentioned I have not had luck with the small rifle magnum primers, they just didn't go off reliably enough for me. Even in a Glock with a full weight striker spring I was getting about 5%-10% that wouldn't go bang.

I have used all small primers. Federal to ginex. But I run my 9 major ammo at about 178pf. No issues ive foud. Even when doing some load development and had one load going about 1480FPS. I will say at that load the gun was damn flat shooting. But a little too hot for me to be cool with it. Lol

• 10 months later...