Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small pistol primers in 9mm major

jsoupene

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, jsoupene said:

I have always heard and have used small rifle primers in my 9mm major pistol because of harder cup.  Due to primer shortage what is everyone's opinion on using small pistol primers? 

I have run CCI SPP with zero issues. PF stayed nearly identical as well

I've never run SRPs in 9 major.  Mostly CCI 500s.  Never a problem.  I've been told a couple of times by manufacturer's reps that the priming for both is identical.  The only difference is the harder cup on the SRP. This doesn't apply to LPRs and LPPs.

Used SPP with both 115 and 124 gr major loads. In conjunction with Silhouette and now Major Pistol.

I switched to SP magnum primers for my major loads, but the difference is negligible. Maybe a touch better accuracy and cleaner burn. Maybe. SDs and ESs were low with all varieties of primers.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, jsoupene said:

I have always heard and have used small rifle primers in my 9mm major pistol because of harder cup.  Due to primer shortage what is everyone's opinion on using small pistol primers? 

I have shot open for ~17 years and only used WSP. No issues. 

8 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

I prefer SRP, but SPP work just as well. Have heard some SPP can cause breach face erosion, but have not experienced it personally. 

I thought that was the other way around? 

Rifle primers do it because the cup is too hard and doesnt seal to the case when fired. 

8 hours ago, dansedgli said:

I thought that was the other way around? 

Rifle primers do it because the cup is too hard and doesnt seal to the case when fired. 

I have seen a couple cases of this. 9 Major and 40 Major

• 7 months later...

because of the primer shortage i recently used small rifle magnum primers for my 2011 0pen gun and have noticed i have to make sure the primer is seated fully to the bottom or i get light primer strike. I think it is due to the primer cup being harder other than that they all seem  to work the same.

I've started using up Wolf Small Rifle primers in my 9mm Major. Essentially, because I had them on hand, I don't have a small rifle primer caliber, and with the primer shortage now is as good a time as any. 

I am getting light strikes through a Glock with a heavier 6lb striker spring. I have not yet tried reseating them with my hand primer tool as part of my quality control. I'm just using them for practice, and Pistol Primers will be for matches. 

I can tell you with confidence that Federal AR Match SRP’s will not go bang in my open guns.

From day one I have used Federal match and standard SRP’s exclusively in my open rigs with no problem but the AR primers are hard.

On 4/13/2021 at 4:01 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

i use spp, srp, spm

basically if it goes bang i shoot it out of my open gun

except small rifle mags, those are thicker and wont touch off with my hammer spring

Hey you just answered a question I've been trying to figure out for a little while now. Thanks!

I had instances where small pistol primers were popping out of the brass and jamming up the gun. I switched to small rifle primers for a couple years, until I had a batch of winchester small rifle primers that a couple wouldn't go off in my gun, so I switched to federal small pistol.

I believe that it it was brass that had very loose primer pockets that was the original issue, but I changed who I purchased brass from as well as primer type to the point where there's too many variables to pin anything down and I was just left with superstition.