Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small pistol primers in 9mm major

jsoupene

Throwing into the mix a couple off brands STI GrandMaster 9 Major with HS-6 or VV 3N38 with MG 124 JHPs.

Unis Ginex 5.56 SRP primers, over 1000 now with no problems - although I did buy them for my ARs. Servicios y Aventuras, about 500+ now, surprisingly have been 100% in my open gun. Not so much in my Production Glock. Leads me to believe that these are hard NATO-type small primers. Getting them for $50.00/k. Just bought 10,000. I tried my Federal 200 SPMs, although they ran great I did notice a bit of cratering, but I am running an obnoxious HS-6 load. I dont think they will do that with the 3N38 I'm loading now.

Edited by frankge

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used both federal small pistol and rifle primers with HS6 for major loads in my 2011 Trubor and can not tell the difference. The chrono data was near identical. Brownells Smyth Busters talk about it here on YouTube. The gist is the harder cup of the rifle primer is the only thing you really need to worry about when loading IPSC Major loads, but as always, they remind us to work up loads when changing components.

I have loaded thousands of major loads using both small pistol and small rifle primers with no distinguishable speed difference as mentioned above. This is using a hammer. Have heard of issues using a striker fire, but no experience there myself.

• 2 weeks later...