Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer issue is getting scary~

chgofirefighter

On 12/12/2020 at 8:00 AM, chgofirefighter said:

Finding primers is like finding gold nuggets at the end of the rainbow these days.  I have about 3200 primers left if things don't chage its going to limit not only practice but also competition.  I know this topic has been discussed before but will things change anytime soon?  Hopefully after 2020?  Gunbroker, etc selling primers for a ridicolous amount of money, ammo is being sold at 3 to 4 times the price even from reputable places.  Sucks to have all this reloading equipment and not put it to good use~ 

I refuse to pay $1,600 for 5k primers that's just insane!  

if people keep buying at these outrageous prices, then the price will not go down...supply and demand

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, g mac said:

if people keep buying at these outrageous prices, then the price will not go down...supply and demand

It is supply and demand... Primer prices seem to be relative to ammo prices.  While 9mm remains high, primer cost will remain in the double digits per primer.  As long as you can load your own ammo for roughly 1/2 the cost of new ammo, people will be willing to pay what today seems like exorbitant prices for primers.  Once demand for ammo falls (and as long as guns remain legal to own), ammo prices will come down, primers will be more plentiful and their price will come down also.  It's just supply and demand.

Edited by mvmojo

On 1/15/2021 at 5:06 PM, Sarge said:

I don’t believe that.

All I can tell you is that I was striper fishing in East Tennessee, the owner and his wife were on my boat, and that is what he stated.  

BTW, there is a Gunchoker auction at the moment for 10,000 Federal small pistol primers at over $3,300.

Federal #100 Small Pistol Primers lot of 10000 - Reloading Supplies at GunBroker.com : 889934589

On 1/15/2021 at 5:06 PM, Sarge said:

I don’t believe that.

All I can tell you is that last August, the owners of MidSouth were striper fishing with me on my boat in East Tennessee, and that is what he stated.  

BTW, there is a Gunchoker auction at the moment for 10,000 Federal small pistol primers at over $3,300.

Federal #100 Small Pistol Primers lot of 10000 - Reloading Supplies at GunBroker.com : 889934589

Edited by TNKenski

Primers will be available when ammo demand subsides.  Until then, we're SOL.  And prices will be up in general for a variety of reasons.  Winchester already announced across-the-board increases on ammo and components and you can expect the others will follow.

As for the gunbroker auctions, big surprise there.  Lots of people are lazy and/or just plain dumb.  As of last week, I found a guy selling Federal primers at $760/10k.  Not exactly cheap, but pretty reasonable considering the circumstances.  There's still stuff out there for not so crazy prices, just takes a little time, effort, and a functioning frontal lobe to find it.

5 hours ago, TNKenski said:

All I can tell you is that last August, the owners of MidSouth were striper fishing with me on my boat in East Tennessee, and that is what he stated.  

I was stripper fishing in a gentleman's club, but my wife saw the credit card bills and made me stop going.

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

I know one thing. What I thought was a good number before will become much greater when things start becoming available again 

You and me also...As much for primers as well as bullets for me...Powder I am good on but the current bullet prices are hard to swallow so Ibuy what I can afford which has been ZERO since the first of the year....

On 1/21/2021 at 10:25 AM, TNKenski said:

Cannot believe those are up to $3350.00 

More money than brains! Gonna watch just to see how stupid somebody is. 

Edited by Farmer

Sure hope this clears up sooner rather than later....but I'm not sure it will. Now that my son got the itch and bought his first hand blaster....well, it's in my name...he's going through my supplies like nobody's business. But, I'm delighted he's into it so I can't complain.

59 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Cannot believe those are up to $3350.00 

More money than brains! Gonna watch just to see how stupid somebody is. 

The thing is, even at 33.5 cents a primer , it still works out better to reload than 60-90 cents for factory ammo currently. A friend of mine recently bought a bunch of syntech direct from federal for $700 per Thousand. Crazy, but if he wants to continue to live fire, it’s what he chose to do.

maybe someday things will go back to what they were in 2019 or maybe they won’t. Either way, it’s not gonna be any time soon.

The seller now has a new auction for 10,000 CCI's

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890656024

Ginex, S&B and CCI's are still available in Canada.  You might have to wait a week or month but they show up.  Federal SPP's are long gone but LPP's are showing up.

Given the border restrictions increasing you won't be seeing any of us heading down south with primers anytime soon....

8 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

The seller now has a new auction for 10,000 CCI's

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890656024

Ginex, S&B and CCI's are still available in Canada.  You might have to wait a week or month but they show up.  Federal SPP's are long gone but LPP's are showing up.

Given the border restrictions increasing you won't be seeing any of us heading down south with primers anytime soon....

Has me thinking more and more about selling the 7k I have.  $2500 currently with 3+ days left.