Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer issue is getting scary~

chgofirefighter

Finding primers is like finding gold nuggets at the end of the rainbow these days.  I have about 3200 primers left if things don't chage its going to limit not only practice but also competition.  I know this topic has been discussed before but will things change anytime soon?  Hopefully after 2020?  Gunbroker, etc selling primers for a ridicolous amount of money, ammo is being sold at 3 to 4 times the price even from reputable places.  Sucks to have all this reloading equipment and not put it to good use~ 

I refuse to pay $1,600 for 5k primers that's just insane!  

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All, or almost all, of the available primers are going to ammo companies.  And even then, they cannot get all they want.  A distributer ordered 1000 cases of ammo from Atlanta Arms in July.  They had run out of primers and didn't get more in until about a month ago.  He was notified his order shipped yesterday, but he isn't getting all he ordered.  Evidently they are allocating ammo so everyone gets at least some of what they ordered.

Judging by what US manufacturers have said, mid-summer next year is the earliest you will see some primers in stores or online.

From Fox Business:  Chris Metz, the CEO of Vista Outdoors, which owns CCI, Federal, Blazer, Speer and now Remington said on Nov 5, "We currently have over a year's worth of orders for ammunition in excess of $1 billion."  Their sales were up 29% vs last year and profits are up 78%.  He attributed the quarter’s improved revenue to several factors, including the "surge in hunting" as people seek outlets amid the pandemic; the skyrocketing number of first-time gun buyers; and the increased diversity among firearms purchasers – “in part inspired by safety and personal protection.”  Now that the Remington deal is complete, it was reported that they are recalling the 300 workers that Remington had furloughed at the Remington Arkansas ammo factory.  They will have 700 employees at that plant producing ammo.  They're working 3 shifts but he said ammo will continue to be to be scarce well into 2021.  Interestingly, since March when ammo demand started ramping up, Vista Outdoors stock is up four-fold, just about the same increase as the price of ammo.

1 hour ago, chgofirefighter said:

Finding primers is like finding gold nuggets at the end of the rainbow these days.  I have about 3200 primers left if things don't chage its going to limit not only practice but also competition.  I know this topic has been discussed before but will things change anytime soon?  Hopefully after 2020?  Gunbroker, etc selling primers for a ridicolous amount of money, ammo is being sold at 3 to 4 times the price even from reputable places.  Sucks to have all this reloading equipment and not put it to good use~ 

I refuse to pay $1,600 for 5k primers that's just insane!  

You willing to pay $1000 for 5K?

kind of like the old story about the ant and the grasshopper I seen this coming a long time ago and over time stocked up (not toilet paper crazy) but added to my stash same with powder I will be set till I slip into the dirt blanket   

10 hours ago, MRBerg said:

kind of like the old story about the ant and the grasshopper I seen this coming a long time ago and over time stocked up (not toilet paper crazy) but added to my stash same with powder I will be set till I slip into the dirt blanket   

Similar here...my wife always asked me when a new shipment of primers arrived  "do you really need so many of these??"  My answer, not now, but maybe in a year or two.

I started reloading several years ago when there was also a drought on everything. Had a hard time finding powder then, was happy to go away with a pound of Longshot.

But I learned my lesson and stock-up whenever I can. Should be good for some time.

In So Cal primers are available from between $80 to $120 a thousand. I've got 10k, but when those are gone I'm shooting .22s. When those are gone, I'm done shooting until prices come down.

Edited by ysrracer

This happened in the last go round. Things got scarce, everyone panicked but it seemed like no one conserved what they had. By reading the forums it was almost like a competition to see who could burn up their stash the fastest. Come on people, use your friggin brains. We all get stuck in a rut but just have to stop and think of what we’re doing. Just because you used to burn through 200 rounds every range trip doesn’t mean you still have to. Make every shot count! I saw guys just aimlessly emptying magazines on 22’s and then bitch because they couldn’t get any more ammo. Don’t be that guy. 
rant off. 

Edited by Farmer
Sp

6 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Ysrracer - What an amazing list of reloading items for sale or trade. Glad I am in MS because if I was living in an area where these items were within driving distance I would be Broke-Broke-Broke....

I know a guy that's selling Federal Small Pistol Primers, one at a time. A good looking Jewish guy...

...named ysr_racer :)

It's not only primers that have become unobtanium, brass prices have gone nutso too. At least one local range here is sitting on their range brass waiting for prices to go even higher.  When I go I ask other shooters if I they do not reload if I can have their brass , invariably they not only let me take it, they also help me harvest it..

So far that's been profitable but one range employee did not like me asking shooters if I could take it saying once it hit the floor it belonged to the range. I disagreed and said it was the property of the shooter and it was theirs to pick up and keep, leave it on the floor, or give it away, and I invited him to call the police for a definition of whose property the brass was.  🙂  He declined! 

Anyway, reloaders who are also bullet casters are immune from one of the issues, it's nice to have at least one thing less to be looking for.