Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer issue is getting scary~

chgofirefighter

Now AzShooter is a person all of us reloaders need to be more like. We shouldn't be hoarders but helpers to our reloading community.  I am desperately in need of primers but do not live in AZ. Hopefully some of the reloading community will be helped out by him.

Edited by adamastergunner

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm late to the conversation, but wondering if anyone has bought, or more to the point, received any primers from Zinc Point Manufacturing.  At $0.14 each the price is still high, but they seem to be the cheapest of the outfits that are taking orders and claiming they can actually deliver (2-3 weeks).  Feel free to PM me if you've had a bad experience.  I'm not interested in slamming anyone publicly, just getting desperate.

Down to my last 1000 primers, tapping into my endless supply of dryfire ammo....

John

1 hour ago, jmac2112 said:

I'm late to the conversation, but wondering if anyone has bought, or more to the point, received any primers from Zinc Point Manufacturing. 

I have zero experience with them but I saw on the internet this morning that Zinc Point Manufacturing is building new facilities in Huntsville, Texas.  Hopefully this is encouraging.

At this point I'm good on primers but will keep an eye on them to see how they are doing in the near future.

2 hours ago, jmac2112 said:

I'm late to the conversation, but wondering if anyone has bought, or more to the point, received any primers from Zinc Point Manufacturing.  At $0.14 each the price is still high, but they seem to be the cheapest of the outfits that are taking orders and claiming they can actually deliver (2-3 weeks).  Feel free to PM me if you've had a bad experience.  I'm not interested in slamming anyone publicly, just getting desperate.

Down to my last 1000 primers, tapping into my endless supply of dryfire ammo....

John

I purchased from them back in November. Pricing was slightly lower but not by much.

At that point they were selling Ginex primers. I don't know if that is still true.

No complaints about either Zinc Point or the primers.

Not necessarily pistol primers but here’s a little tidbit that I was told. My cousin shoots trap and one of his fellow shooters knows the Fiocchi rep. The rep told him,  Don’t expect to buy or find any Fiocchi primers for about a year. Reason was that they are using them for their own shell production. I know this is for shotgun but I’m thinking that it’ll also trickle down to the others. And also not just Fiocchi. 
Don’t shoot the messenger!

11 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Not necessarily pistol primers but here’s a little tidbit that I was told. My cousin shoots trap and one of his fellow shooters knows the Fiocchi rep. The rep told him,  Don’t expect to buy or find any Fiocchi primers for about a year. Reason was that they are using them for their own shell production. I know this is for shotgun but I’m thinking that it’ll also trickle down to the others. And also not just Fiocchi. 

Yeah, that only makes sense. Why sell a low cost low demand item, when you can sell all the profitable product you can make?

7 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Absolutely.  If they can sell their ammo for premier prices, why take the time to box up and market their primers.

It's all based on manufacturing capacity.  If loaded ammo sales volume soak up 100% of primer manufacturing capacity then you don't sell primers in favor of selling higher margin loaded ammo.  The business decision is whether to increase your primer manufacturing capacity.  After all, primer sales are profitable also, just maybe not as profitable as loaded ammo, but you'd like to have both if possible.  But, adding manufacturing capacity is fairly capital intensive investment.  History suggests that current capacity is adequate except in extraordinary circumstances like we find ourselves in now.  So, why make a long term capital investment to build more primer manufacturing capacity when the odds are within a year or so demand will likely drop down to current supply levels...

1 minute ago, mvmojo said:

So, why make a long term capital investment to build more primer manufacturing capacity when the odds are within a year or so demand will likely drop down to current supply levels...

Yep, econ 101.

I can't speak to supply, but demand is certainly dying down.  Prices on GB are down, and our local Scheels had primers in stock for at least week.  Same with local sellers. 

And as prices start to come down, I think you'll see hoarders and speculators start to dump product as well.

I would think the speculators are the guys buying online at $80/k or whatever the going rate is so I doubt there will be a severe loss.

I just hope everyone remembers this time if it's good for the 5 years. It's always boom and bust so prepare for the next time there is craziness.

7 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

I don't really understand that thinking, but to each his own.

Hopefully a lesson for those who go out of their way to screw people over. Some learn from reading, some by doing and some just need to feel the pain. 

Edited by Farmer

12 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I would think the speculators are the guys buying online at $80/k or whatever the going rate is so I doubt there will be a severe loss.

I just hope everyone remembers this time if it's good for the 5 years. It's always boom and bust so prepare for the next time there is craziness.

This happens every 4 years. Every 4 years people say it is the worst, ever, cry a lot.  Every 4 years I agree with that assessment. 

In between those 4 years, it is always an insanely plentiful buyer's season. Even when prices dont die back down to pre-election pricing, they have been very reasonable, even accounting for inflation.

Before the shortage hit this past time, it was one of the best. Factory quality 9mm for $10 a box to your door. 223 was under $300 shipped per 1k to your door.

We told everyone to stock up on componentsand ammo. Many didn't listen.  Many said money was an issue, then bought brand new expensive cars, guns, etc. Then the same thing happened every 4 years. It wasn't money. It was priorities. 

I'm a poor ex college kid, so instead buying a nice car, I continued to drive my $2000 Toyota and bought enough 223 and 9mm to last at least a year of drought, which was typical of what we saw every 4 years, no matter how long they always said it'd be a shortage for.

I'm not here to condescend; on the contrary, because I stocked up, I was able to equip earnest local new shooters with 9mm supplies when they couldn't and lined up at Academy for 4hrs every week.

We always hear, "well some us don't...etc". Maybe. But I think the real answer is priorities. The rest are excuses.

Reminds me of the parable of the grasshopper and the ants.

Edited by blueorison

20 hours ago, Farmer said:

Hopefully a lesson for those who go out of their way to screw people over. Some learn from reading, some by doing and some just need to feel the pain. 

If primers have a free market value of say, $150, and they're being sold for $35-40, someone will buy them and pick up the profit being left on the table.  That's not just primers, that's anything that can be legally bought and sold.  It's not immoral or personal, to think otherwise is misunderstanding basic economics.

4 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

If primers have a free market value of say, $150, and they're being sold for $35-40, someone will buy them and pick up the profit being left on the table.  That's not just primers, that's anything that can be legally bought and sold.  It's not immoral or personal, to think otherwise is misunderstanding basic economics.

So your a fan of Martin Shkreli?

On 5/30/2021 at 9:13 PM, wdfwguy said:

Part of the economics of primers are people not admitting to themselves that their value has gone up a lot in the last year. Last summer people refused to pay gunbroker prices of around $100/k but now happily pay that at any of the online retailers when they are in stock.

I'd be shocked if we ever see primers under 50/k again, if not for supply and demand but also the inflation that's starting to creep up.