Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer issue is getting scary~

chgofirefighter

Some of us (I assume Mark7 owners) started getting bulk primer and component offers from a company  a few weeks back.  Nobody posted anything (good or bad) here so I assume they are legit.

current offer is 1.5 million Argentinian primers $200/1000 

minimum order 100,000

ouch!

Edited by MikeyScuba

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/30/2021 at 10:13 PM, wdfwguy said:

If primers have a free market value of say, $150, and they're being sold for $35-40, someone will buy them and pick up the profit being left on the table.  That's not just primers, that's anything that can be legally bought and sold.  It's not immoral or personal, to think otherwise is misunderstanding basic economics.

ok I gave this more than a little thought.

as long as... the word WHY is applied.

why are the items being sold cheap.

why are the items more dear in another market.

To be clear, charging a heavy mark-up(300 percent in your example)

for food or water in a drought or failed crop area is immoral.

primers are far less clear because they are usually not considered necessities.

For any who hunt as part of living(think Dinner and defense while hunting,)

ammo prices are a real concern and so that heavy markup

can become personal or immoral.

the good news is that this situation is not likely to stay.

at 150 per K  a lot of entities will step in.

As that happens, the price will drop as competition for sales begin.

miranda

8 hours ago, Miranda said:

To be clear, charging a heavy mark-up(300 percent in your example)

for food or water in a drought or failed crop area is immoral.

primers are far less clear because they are usually not considered necessities.

For any who hunt as part of living(think Dinner and defense while hunting,)

ammo prices are a real concern and so that heavy markup

can become personal or immoral.

I think you could make the "gouging" argument when it comes to heart medicine, food, water, etc.  I'm not sure what my opinion is there, but you could certainly make the argument.

But you're essentially arguing that you have a right to someone else's property at a price that you feel is reasonable.  That's where I start to peel off into the libertarian lane.  If someone had the luck or foresight to stock up on primers, who are you to dictate what they do with them?  Or what they sell them for in a legal, consensual transaction?

High secondary market prices meet a need.  It allows the product to be available for purchase by someone who really wants them.  If every retailer sold primers for $30/k, they wouldn't be in stock anywhere.  But luckily, there are places where resellers can list primers for market prices and now you can buy primers if you really need them.

4 hours ago, warpspeed said:

We are our own worst enemy in this.

Yeah, that does about sum it up. Same thing with bullets, but to a lesser degree. I mean, if nobody can get primers, who needs Bullets???

On 6/1/2021 at 7:22 PM, jmac2112 said:

MikeyScuba: The primers being offered by Zinc Point Manufacturing are Argentinian.  Is this the company you're talking about?  

No Idea.  The US supplier (Component Connection) also cc'd everyones email to everyone else.  Sure an odd way to start a business.  When I first got the email I checked here but crickets.  It was assumed by many  to be a scam but I don't think it is.  Not that it matters to me as I'm reloading for personal use and I'm not in the USA.

13 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

I think you could make the "gouging" argument when it comes to heart medicine, food, water, etc.  I'm not sure what my opinion is there, but you could certainly make the argument.

But you're essentially arguing that you have a right to someone else's property at a price that you feel is reasonable.  That's where I start to peel off into the libertarian lane.  If someone had the luck or foresight to stock up on primers, who are you to dictate what they do with them?  Or what they sell them for in a legal, consensual transaction?

High secondary market prices meet a need.  It allows the product to be available for purchase by someone who really wants them.  If every retailer sold primers for $30/k, they wouldn't be in stock anywhere.  But luckily, there are places where resellers can list primers for market prices and now you can buy primers if you really need them.

If we had a free market it'd be easier to start up a business manufacturing ammo in this case. This would increase the supply and competition would keep prices in check. The harder it is do to business and the less competition you have the easier it is to drive up the price on any product. 

17 hours ago, wdfwguy said:

But you're essentially arguing that you have a right to someone else's property at a price that you feel is reasonable.

Quoted so you'd get notified, mostly.

please be careful when you speak for me.

I am pretty sure what you claim I said is not what I said.

in that same vein your overall post comes across to me like you didn't understand my previous post.

in that regard your post is fairly consistent.

onward...

As Racinready300ex stated, the markets for ammo are not free.

In theory I know how to make primers (take that with a grain of salt)

and that I looked into both how and price of ingredients and various laws.

Buuuuuuut, I am decidedly not allowed to make and sell them, This is the point.

"Free Market" economics are not applicable here. 

There may well be profit on the table.  More important is that

only a few have access legally to that profit.

BTW I am far more in agreement with your outlook on the situation

than you appear to realize. 

However, as long as the laws we face stand as they are,

there are flaws in applying "Total Capitalism" to this situation.

miranda

I have a cousin who keeps acquiring firearms... and now I am hunting large rifle primers

I was up to three kinds and now it does not matter.

Have the imported primers that were promised last Feb arrived?

I am hunting for a christmas present or two,

and a long lead time I can live with,

a bit of confidence in the delivery is my thinking.

miranda

• 1 month later...