Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer issue is getting scary~

chgofirefighter

2 hours ago, Silver_Surfer said:

Heck, we are only at the beginning stages of this issue!!! 

Yep. When it passes all these guys who got caught short will stock up while swearing to never get caught short again. THEN, next time a whole new group of shooters will get caught short and start the whole process over again. It’s a never ending merry go round. 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Yep. When it passes all these guys who got caught short will stock up while swearing to never get caught short again. THEN, next time a whole new group of shooters will get caught short and start the whole process over again. It’s a never ending merry go round. 

History ALWAYS repeats itself 🙂

9 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Yup! 

This is my third cycle. Heck my state is now tiring to pass ammo registration on ammo purchases.  

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Yep, this is my first cycle with reloading but I've been around for a few of the ammo shortages. Pretty much everyone I know is now looking to buy their first gun as well as stock up on ammo. No one listens when things are cheap and plentiful but halfway through a shortage and people come out and ask where they can find guns and ammo.

2 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

No one listens when things are cheap and plentiful but halfway through a shortage and people come out and ask where they can find guns and ammo.

Isn't that the truth!  You hear "I'm going to wait till the prices goes down even further"

or "It'll never happen again"

If you keep an eye out and are willing to travel a bit to a few far flung stores in this area, you can find them when they come into your area.  Seems like 2 weeks ago there was a shipment to our part of the country (Midwest) and a number of stores had them.  They didn't last long and when one vendor had them I contacted all of the stores in a 100 mile radius.  It'll probably be another couple of months before this happens again.

Every single store had a limit on what could be had in one transaction, most were limiting to a thousand per size.  Took my Dad along with me as he was able to "assist".

Edited by NuBLee

Last time around, I swore I'd never drop below 15k primers. Kept ordering whenever I slipped below that mark. Luckily, my last reorder came just before everything started going crazy. Still, it's a little frightening - looking at how many months I can shoot before I start spending more time with a different hobby. No way I am going to pay the inflated prices for components.

Maybe Lee will come out with a Primer Re-manufacturing tool set. First stage pops out the anvil, next step swages out the dent in the cup, third stage drops in a new priming compound wafer and the last stage re-insert the anvil and re-sizes the cup to factory size.

Before you discount this piece of fantasy, remember that Speer started out making jacketed bullets from spent .22 cases during WWII when other materials were unobtainable!

On 12/12/2020 at 2:00 PM, TonytheTiger said:

My LGS yesterday told me that they are getting plenty of primers. I said cool, where are they? Apparently they don't even put them on the shelves, they go straight onto GB to get bid up to $150-200 per 1k. I wasn't super impressed.

Like most people selling them on GB they are most likely not hazmat certified. With any luck they will get caught and get a fine wiping out their profits on them.

I don't know, but my local guy said haz-mat is nothing more than a different label on the box...  I don't like price gouging any more than anybody else but that's what happens in free markets where demand significantly out-strips demand.  This too shall pass.

There are different classes of Hazmat,, Shipping primers has far more involved than a different label.

at least in VA on the big state page,  along with some crazy priced ones that have been sitting forever there seem to be quite a few 1 for 1 traes going on. I am not short anything,, but probably have more LRM than my shoulder can stand in a lifetime.
Fellow just doesnt seem to have all day range sessions with belted magnums. 

I’ve been getting lucky at academy. They’ve been having cci primers pretty often. Picked up over 2500 last couple weeks. They limit to 3 trays only. With my wife I’ve been getting 600 each trip. I don’t go everyday only when I am around the store. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TNKenski said:

Owner of Mid South Shooters supply got 1mm primers from Federal in late summer.  Said no more for at least 3 years.

That's enough for me, but what are the rest of you guys going to do?

:)

Yesterday morning Powder Valley loaded up and released inventory on CCI - SPP, Federal Match SPP, and Winchester SRP all at the same time....Limit was 1000 each and once you loaded the primers in your cart you hit the check out and of course the “processing” buffering icon pops up...I had to try four times before I finally got my cart with available inventory...I tried to get 1000 each of the three different configurations but was only able to secure 1000 CCI - SPP.....Cost of the primers were just $39.50, Haz-Mat was $19.95 and shipping was $9.95.......I started to cancel the order but $70.00 for 1000 primers may be the new normal for a while.....

I will get 1000 rounds of 9mm loaded up for use in the next 4 - 5 SC matches in our area...

If you've been doing any kind of shopping lately, you'll notice that besides primers, powder, cases and jacketed bullets are hard to find as well, as are some cast/coated or plated bullets. Many sites are listing these items as "out of stock, no back order".  I'm still looking for some 45 acp cases to bolster my stock. 

48 minutes ago, Andy9 said:

Has anyone used the "Prime-All" primer compound and re-primed their primers?

Labor intensive, but available if it works.

went googling...

from sharpshooter-22lr?

looks interesting.  

Just now, Miranda said:

went googling...

from sharpshooter-22lr?

looks interesting.  

I already have have it, I'm am just wondering if anyone has tried it. for shooting sports use, i would have to figure out a way to do at least 100 at a time, and then setting the anvil, i would probably need to make myself a special tool to not set it all the way down, but still far enough to ignite. 

it would take 4 to 8 times longer than manually flipping primers and loading primer tubs. 

in some poking around...  the only guess for the chemistry I've read

is that it is a variant on h48 priming compound.

if so, it should be ok.

and you will need to clean your firearm after use.

I'd consider it real emergency priming.

miranda

On 12/12/2020 at 8:00 AM, chgofirefighter said:

Finding primers is like finding gold nuggets at the end of the rainbow these days.  I have about 3200 primers left if things don't chage its going to limit not only practice but also competition.  I know this topic has been discussed before but will things change anytime soon?  Hopefully after 2020?  Gunbroker, etc selling primers for a ridicolous amount of money, ammo is being sold at 3 to 4 times the price even from reputable places.  Sucks to have all this reloading equipment and not put it to good use~ 

I refuse to pay $1,600 for 5k primers that's just insane!  

if people keep buying at these outrageous prices, then the price will not go down...supply and demand