Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are local matches in your area getting canceled?

forty5cal1911

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, L3324temp said:

My local private range was closed this week. I Don’t agree with it at all, a busy weekday would have maybe 6 shooters at any one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree.  Gun stores are open in most states as “essential retail” and some of those have ranges.  So you can go to a stuffy indoor range but not an outdoor range with constant fresh air.  I get match cancellations but I don’t understand why outdoor ranges need to be shutdown.  Especially since most states allow you to exercise during the stay in place orders... I mean I am out of breath after some of our field stages.  It’s exercise officer!

As an MD that made a decision to cancel I'll add that there's a lot more to the decision than meets the eye. Negative press for the range, possible liabilities down the road as the China flu spreads, shelter in place orders in my state (IL) that everyone ignores but its harder to bend the rules in groups of 50+ even though its outdoors, and a big one for me is reduced attendance vs. the range rental fee putting the match in the red financially. 

There's a lot to think about as a match administrator, and even though as a shooter I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a match right now, I have no desire to jump into a net of red tape so others can shoot.

I agree with Tony.  It’s not that mds want to cancel but it’s really the smart decision. 

for my club we are a border club.  Meaning we border restricted states and are barely minutes across the state lines.  We draw from as far north as massachusetts at times and routinely have people from the ny and nj metro area. We also get people from near philly and towards the middle of pa.  That’s a lot of people to bring together with a wide disbursement area if someone has the vid. I’d really hate to hear that someone who shot at my match was sick and then worry about the rest of the crowd getting sick and tracking it home. 

6 minutes ago, egd5 said:

I really think most people understand cancelling a match. It's closing down an outdoor range where there's plenty of room to spread out that seems overkill.

Exactly.  I get and 100% stand behind the MD’s canceling matches.

Our outdoor local range cancelled all matches, classes and gatherings, but is trying to stay open for members.  Neighbors have called the sheriff a couple times that we know of to complain that it's open and not 'an essential business', but as long as the 'outdoor activities' exception is in the stay-at-home rules, it should stay open (and way busier than usual).

The two clubs I belong to have both closed the indoor ranges, canceled all matches and activities, and asked for social distancing on any outdoor ranges.  I also believe all of the matches in my area have been canceled/postponed for at least March/April.

Another thing to consider is the average age of the participants, which in the case of USPSA, I believe skews to a bit of an older crowd. This is a higher risk group, and probably not the best time to be congregating. I am not the liberal media by any means, but do work in a health care facility, and this virus is something to be taken seriously. I am super disappointed by losing the shooting season, and I don’t think it will be ending anytime soon. Stay safe everyone.

29 minutes ago, clw42 said:

The two clubs I belong to have both closed the indoor ranges, canceled all matches and activities, and asked for social distancing on any outdoor ranges. 

Special social distancing rules seems like a good alternative to closing. I could see ranges tightly packed with laid off and bored shooters otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Special social distancing rules seems like a good alternative to closing. I could see ranges tightly packed with laid off and bored shooters otherwise. 

You would think, but over this past week, I went twice and both times there were only a few people there.

I'm okay with the distancing stuff if it keeps the outdoor ranges open.

My main range is still open as it is a private members only range.  We didn't have our USPSA match in March.  April is still in question.  A couple of the indoor weeknight matches shutdown and the ranges are mostly closed.  Here is IL the state order to stay at home extends until April 7th but there is talk of it being extended into late April.  

Luckily, I own my own piece of property that I can shoot on whenever I want.  I won't be hampered other than by weather in my live fire practice.