Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are local matches in your area getting canceled?

forty5cal1911

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of COVID-19 cases here in AZ has thankfully been lower than in other areas of the Nation. Many of our local matches here in the Phoenix area have still been cancelled, but not all. Some matches,  where the MD assesses that group size (social distancing) and number of hands on the timer/tablet (hygiene) can be effectively managed, appear to be going ahead for the moment - for example, my home club ran a USPSA match today accommodating up to 80 shooters (8 squads of 10 persons), with appropriate admonitions relating to conduct.

I shot a rifle match this morning at another area range; they also limited squad size to 10, and minimized the number of hands touching the timer and tablet (which were also sanitized between uses). We were asked not to come if we have any symptoms or had had contact with anyone else who is sick.

In general, I think competitive shooters are pretty educated and responsible folks that are smart enough to figure out how to minimize the risks. As the facts on the ground change, or as government mandates evolve, I am confident they will do the right thing. To be honest, I felt safer at the match today than I did when I went to the grocery store yesterday.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

a couple of local clubs have shut down outdoor matches now, color me very bummed.  as noted above, i think there are ways to manage it without too much difficulty.  and if MD's are worried about not enough folks showing up to justify match costs (time and money), just specify a minimum signup (perhaps including a little slop) or the match is cancelled.

I understand matches shutting down due to state restrictions, potential fines, etc.  It would be nice if more outdoor ranges were open but I understand if the economics don't support it.  Outdoor ranges could get creative and offer less services.  I do think it would be better to be open for a few at a time than not at all.  If total shutdown leads to bankruptcy then we're in trouble.  It's all about cash flow.  

Just posted our plans for the start of the year.

With the first outdoor match opening for registration in just under two weeks we have a few updates for every one due to Covid 19.

1 The outdoor matches are still on.
2 Total squad size will be limited to 10 with 5 squads.
3 We will not be holding a shooters meeting before the match and ask that every one report to the bay your squad will start on.
4 We are asking for everyone to pay online. If that is not possible you need to bring $25.00 even so we are not making change as this will speed things up reducing the line and people handing things back and forth. We are not mandating online payment yet but that may change if we are making a lot of change. Several area matches have already gone to online payment only.
5 Please give the registration table space.
6 At this time Big Sioux still plans to be open but that could change and should not effect matches other than the club house may not be open to buy water so plan on bringing anything you need for food or drink.

Big Sioux is our host range.