Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL750 or RL1100?

Like the title says, asking what people think if I should buy an XL750 now or wait until the RL1100 comes out and get that. Pros and cons would be most excellent. I know that the swager makes it almost a no brainer to buy the 1100, but at the same time you only get a year warranty and it is also quite a bit more expensive. Thanks everyone!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, EEH said:

RL1100. When ?

If it comes out by the first of the year-ish.

And just so you know, I have a 650 right now, but is the 750 that big of an improvement over the 650?

Edited by Sfisch0311

To me the 750 looks like a cheaper version of the 650 but at a higher price point. It's probably a cost cutting measure by Dillon, too bad.

P.S. The sliding primer system sucks.

Edited by 4n2t0

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

This topic was moved to the Dillon forum because it is pretty much about Dillon gear 😉

ETA: here is the link to the 750 thread:

I found it lol. I thank you for the link though! 🤙

3 hours ago, Sfisch0311 said:

If it comes out by the first of the year-ish.

And just so you know, I have a 650 right now, but is the 750 that big of an improvement over the 650?

I love my 650. I have it set up and mod'd enough that it just works perfect! IF I were to upgrade to anything it would be to the 1050/1100 but I just can't justify it right now. I can load a years worth of ammo over Christmas vacation or a couple of long weekends.

It all depends on what your using it for If your not loading five thousand rounds a month in one caliber you'll be fine on the 650/750. Once tubes are filled and you find the rhythm you can load 800 an hour.  If you want the 1100 you may have to wait.

I was hoping dillon would have called me and told me they are giving me an 1100 because I'm awesome. But it hasnt happened yet, confirming my suspicion I'm not that awesome.

The major difference between the 1050 and the 750 is that the former swages. Changing out the tool heads for each caliber is MUCH more expensive for the 1050 vs the 750. My 650 works like a champ loading 800+ rds/hr in several pistol calibers and several hundred rounds/hr in rifle calibers. Do not see a need to spend $$$$$ for the 1050 if the 650/750 will do the trick.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:16 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

There's a lengthy (5 pages) discussion of the pros and cons of the 650 vs 750

right here on BE.

Yes, and that before anybody actually has a 750.  Imagine the discussion over real presses. 

I started with a 650 upgraded to a 1050, for me the 1050 is a lot better to load on. Yes you have to tweek it to get it running but well worth it in the end.

Either one will do but if you can swing the 1100 I would get that.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:05 AM, m700 said:

I was hoping dillon would have called me and told me they are giving me an 1100 because I'm awesome. But it hasnt happened yet, confirming my suspicion I'm not that awesome.

I emailed Dillon and told them that I was just as awesome as you are.

They haven't responded yet. Perhaps their email is down? 

sigh...I suspect I won't get a free 1100 either.

On 8/7/2019 at 5:47 PM, DudeRick said:

I bought a 650 to get away from the 550 primer system, thats a deal breaker for me with the 750.

The difference is the 550 primes at station one and the 750 at station 2, that means you don't get all that crud in the primer system.

That being said, I'm glad I have my pair of 650s.

I have a 1050, get the 1100...  you will not regret it.   Forget about the warranty issue, that really should not be a part of your decision.  I have never had to buy replacement parts for my 1050, and if I did... so what, pay for what you broke.  Dillon is excellent to deal with.

Like I said I already have a 1050, if I were to buy another press today it would be an 1100 (or another 1050, someone is selling)

On 8/5/2019 at 6:16 PM, EEH said:

I like my 650, would not think of changing just for primer system, basically that’s all they changed.

I agree.  I had a lengthy discussion with a Tech at Dillon.  From what I understand, the main difference is the priming system which I like in my 650.  I also have a bunch of the aftermarket upgrades installed on it. (Rotocam follower, Rotocam actuator, Bearing upgrade, primer stop switch)  why change it? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 4:47 PM, DudeRick said:

I bought a 650 to get away from the 550 primer system, thats a deal breaker for me with the 750.

The xl 750 priming system works as good and better than other presses including the xl650. The priming is done on the second station not the first like the 550. I didn’t like the rotary priming on the Xl 650 because of the dumping of primers if there was a glitch. But that was just more of an inconvenience, than a major problem. If you have a 650 I wouldn’t upgrade. You might check out snowshooze on eBay he has some great add ons  for the 650.

Edited by dfox

8 hours ago, rustybayonet said:

RL1100?

Haven't heard about that

750 looks like a nicer model than the 650

But im a 550 fan boy😁

You know, the one they announced at shot show. LOL They announced 1100 as coming this summer yet made no mention of a 750. 😂