Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL750 or RL1100?

A friend with both appreciates being able to feel primers seat (loading 9mm) on the 750 vs not feel anything on the 1100...

I've been loading on a 550c and just bought a friend's 750 (he bought an 1100).  Looking forward to most likely double production for the time spent, but I *rarely* had any issues on my 550.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, fyaman43 said:

A friend with both appreciates being able to feel primers seat (loading 9mm) on the 750 vs not feel anything on the 1100...

I've been loading on a 550c and just bought a friend's 750 (he bought an 1100).  Looking forward to most likely double production for the time spent, but I *rarely* had any issues on my 550.

Coming from a 650 to an 1100, I initially missed the "feel" of the primer being seated. But being able to adjust the seating depth, and coming to trust the 1100,  I wouldn't look back. Having the swager is a game changer!

On 11/17/2021 at 10:29 AM, xrayfk05 said:

I get it,  you are a fan of the 550. But slightly slower than a 650/750? I don't see that happening no matter what scenario.

Without a case feeder but with bullet feeder I can do 1100 rounds/hour easily on my LnL AP and 1200 to 1300 on the 650 which has both. I don't see the 550 coming even close to that.

And you are worried about squibs on the 650 but not about double charges on the 550? Fiddling and forgetting to index a 550 would scare me a lot more.

If you have to fiddle that much with your 650 fix it or get it checked, no press will run perfect but even on my LnL AP I can load without fiddling too much. (Expecting the occasional split case or crimper primer pocket)

Yes I have a 550 (for now) because the price was too good to pass up on, tried it an the manual indexing just is a deal breaker for me. As soon as I find somewhen who needs it, it's gone.

Agreed.  I have more worry about having a double feed on a 550 than I do a squib on the 650.  I had one early squib on the 650 and after that I just remove the case that is in the primer/powder slot if there is any hiccup at all on the press.  If I have any doubt at all on the rest of the stages then I just pull everything for later evaluation.  Next case that comes out of the powder feed gets weighed and then I'm off an running again.

I would love to have a 550 on hand for load development though.

2 hours ago, Kletus said:

That is one thing a 550 has in it's favor. I have used a Lee Classic Turret for the same purpose.

In my mind where the 650/750 separates itself from a 550 is that you can have both case feeder and bullet feeder stations as well as separate seat and crimp stations.

Plus after several years of having only the Classic Turret I'm spoiled by the automatic indexing. 

I would not give that up.

3 hours ago, Kletus said:

That’s one of the two reasons I kept my 550 and sold the 650 after getting my 1100. The other reason is for loading large primer ammo such as .45acp and .308Win.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:40 PM, AHI said:

Once you load using a 1050/1100. A 650/750 feels like a toy.

I couldn't believe how cheesy my 650 felt after loading on the 1100.  I was really surprised by how much smoother and beefier the 1100 is.  That's not to say the 650 isn't good, I love it and if I'd never touched an 1100 I wouldn't have known any better.  Now I want to know if I'm missing out by not having gotten the Apex 10.  I was scared off by folks having primer feed issues and the sometimes spotty level of service that's been reported.  But still...

I agree after I bought the super 1050 my 650 did feel like a cheap toy, but it does reload 9mm really well,  I have considered selling it and getting another 1050 or 1100.  load 9 mm on it or maybe keep the 650 and load my 357 sig. just need to catch me in the right week, I guess. 

On 2/2/2022 at 3:38 PM, AHI said:

At one time locally we called the 650.

Squib o Madick 650. Every time someone had a squib.

It was loaded on a 650. No other press.

Why would that be? I loaded many, many 1000's of 9mm on my 650 with never a squib. 

9 hours ago, jejb said:

Why would that be? I loaded many, many 1000's of 9mm on my 650 with never a squib. 

Same. The 550 on the other hand is a squib producer for sure

Edited by Sarge

8 hours ago, jejb said:

Because everyone of the people who had one was constantly fiddling with it. They were the type of person who would never ask for help. Nothing ever was working correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2022 at 9:06 PM, Sarge said:

Same. The 550 on the other hand is a squib producer for sure

yep, my opinion too, it seems like every KB I have witnessed and read about was a reload from a 550.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2022 at 8:18 AM, jejb said:

Yeah, I missed feeling the primer in when I moved from a 650 to an 1100. At least at first. But the 1100 is more consistent, so I'm over it. Nothing wrong with either system, IMO. 

This is very true.  You can't feel the primers going in with the 1100.  My solution, add a camera that allows you to see them before the powder throw.  In this video I show it.

More videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLEAh7Bstw0lf4LLNWm9P6A

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

You can't feel the primers going in with the 1100.

I can feel if there is a primer seating issue on my 1050.  I cannot imagine the 1100 is that different.  There is three distinct feeling in regards to De-priming/priming at the bottom of the down stroke and subsequent upstroke.  If it feels spongy before you bottom out there is a ringer meaning the case in the swage station is still has a primer in place and the swage rod is compressing the old primer.  If there is no spongy feeling but at the bottom of the stoke it does not feel clean, not like a spongy feeling but not a definite hard stop there is most likely a primer seating issue, once you start the upstroke, and the shell plate starts to advance and as you raise the handle there seems to be a hitch in the advancement of the shell plate, then you have drug a primer out of the case.  Sometimes the smashed primer drops out of the press once the shell plate completes its advancement, but sometimes it does not.  I check the case in the powder drop and the primer tends to be missing.  Of course there are other mechanical issue that feel similar, but those happen so infrequently (as long as you maintain your press properly) that 98% of the time it is one of these three issues.  At least this has been my experience.  

Unfortunately all of this feedback goes away if you automate.  

On 2/13/2022 at 6:59 PM, jejb said:

I have loaded 7K rounds of 9mm on my XL750 and have never encountered a squib.  Not sure how that could happen unless I let the hopper run out of powder.

EDIT:  I thought of another way it could happen.  If you short-stroked and the shell plate advanced a station, a case would not get a powder charge.  I have a powder check die, so I would get alerted, but I would also be aware if I short-stroked the press to that extent.

Mike

Edited by VortecMAX

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chapo said:

Max1, that's true.  To change caliber on a 1050/1100 you are looking of upwards of $300.

A lot more than that if you're getting a toolhead for each caliber. They are $250 alone from Dillon. Add dies, conversion kits, etc, it's not hard to get up to $600 for a conversion. And it take a lot more time to swap the toolhead than 650/750. I like my 1100 a lot, but conversions kind of suck on it. 

A nice option is the Armanov toolhead, which uses the Hornady LNL bushings. 

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/products/quick-change-toolhead-assembly-for-dillon-super-1050?_pos=3&_sid=d21a86bc1&_ss=r

Edited by jejb

16 minutes ago, jejb said:

A nice option is the Armanov toolhead, which uses the Hornady LNL bushings. 

Man this would be awesome especially when changing dies.  Thanks for sharing.  Was not aware of this item.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:55 PM, VortecMAX said:

I have loaded 7K rounds of 9mm on my XL750 and have never encountered a squib.  Not sure how that could happen unless I let the hopper run out of powder.

Squibs can happen on progressive presses if the press has a hiccup that did not allow a full pull of the lever, then the operator advances the plate during a trouble shooting phase.  Rare but it can happen if the operator is not diligent about checking the rounds at the powder drop station and bullet drop station.  

Anytime I have an issue with the press, I verify the powder drop station, bullet drop station and ensure the next bullet that advances to the powder drop station has a primer before continuing operation.  

A little bit of attention to detail prevents squibs.  

32 minutes ago, jejb said:

I like my 1100 a lot, but conversions kind of suck on it. 

Expensive, but once paid for its a luxury where you just slap a complete head and conversion on then load.  Plus the Dillon stuff especially tool heads maintain their value.  

But yes, conversions are pricy.