Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL750 or RL1100?

28 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Man this would be awesome especially when changing dies.  Thanks for sharing.  Was not aware of this item.

You're welcome. It's a good option, especially with the built in light. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Expensive, but once paid for its a luxury where you just slap a complete head and conversion on then load

Same with the 650/750's. But the toolhead is super easy to change. Pull two pins and slide it out the side. And they are only $40 from Dillon. 

18 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Squibs can happen on progressive presses if the press has a hiccup that did not allow a full pull of the lever, then the operator advances the plate during a trouble shooting phase.  Rare but it can happen if the operator is not diligent about checking the rounds at the powder drop station and bullet drop station.  

Anytime I have an issue with the press, I verify the powder drop station, bullet drop station and ensure the next bullet that advances to the powder drop station has a primer before continuing operation.  

A little bit of attention to detail prevents squibs.  

Good points. But the RCBS lockout die or other powder check dies cure squib issues. 

1 minute ago, jejb said:

Good points. But the RCBS lockout die or other powder check dies cure squib issues. 

Unfortunately that takes up a station.  My stations are full so no powder check for me.  

That would be another con on the 1050/1100 presses is the limited stations in comparison to the Mark 7 presses and the new Frankford Arsenal X-10 press which have 10 stations.

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Squibs can happen on progressive presses if the press has a hiccup that did not allow a full pull of the lever, then the operator advances the plate during a trouble shooting phase.  Rare but it can happen if the operator is not diligent about checking the rounds at the powder drop station and bullet drop station.  

Anytime I have an issue with the press, I verify the powder drop station, bullet drop station and ensure the next bullet that advances to the powder drop station has a primer before continuing operation.  

A little bit of attention to detail prevents squibs.  

Yes, the solution is diligence.  I had a bit of brass shave off a previously crimped primer pocket and get wedged under the shellplate.  I had the shellplate advance a position while I was fixing that.  I was very aware that the plate advanced without charging a case.  I removed that case and continued loading.  You must be very aware.

I also have a light that fits into the center hole of the toolhead that allows me to look inside each case before I place a bullet (for pistol cases at least).  So I have the powder check die, but also look.

Mike

Edited by VortecMAX

18 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Unfortunately that takes up a station.  My stations are full so no powder check for me.  

That would be another con on the 1050/1100 presses is the limited stations in comparison to the Mark 7 presses and the new Frankford Arsenal X-10 press which have 10 stations.

I use a seat/crimp all in one die, so I have room for the powder check and MBF on my 1100 when loading pistol. I don't use the MBF on my rifle toolhead (just don't load enough to justify the conversion), so I have room there too even with separate seat and crimp dies. But more stations is not a bad thing either. 

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Rockchucker, Dillon 550 and 1100 automated. (Mark 7) Rockchucker used to size and deprime large caliber such as 458 socom, 50 Beowulf and 45/70.  550 to load these three as well as the 1100 does not have a shell plate for these, Dillon tells me that the reason is the rebated rims on the 450 and 50 Beowulf won't work with the brass feeder, seems like not enough people load these if you ask me.

The automated 1100 has a sensor on nearly every stage.  Unfortunately, there are not enough stations to seat and crimp the bullet separately if you use the powder sensor. But being automated, I would never load without that sensor.

It took a very steep learning curve to go from the 550 to the 1100.  Just when you think all the sensors are working and the process has been worked out, another issue comes up.  I will say that after a while the issues have been smaller and less frequent and almost nonexistent.  I learned that processing brass in a separate pass makes things go much smoother and most of the issues come up in sizing and depriming, this way you avoid spillage and non-primed cases.  This also allows me to run the cases per hour much higher when processing brass as well as loading it, therefore not a big time difference, in addition to it being automated so no physical effort on my part, saving my shoulder for large caliber.

Conversion sets are very expensive.  But... When I set up a caliber to load, I will load 15,000 - 20,000 of one caliber, then set up for the next, as such, I only need to load each caliber every 1-2 years.

Maybe once I retire, I will shoot more and then buy a toolhead for each caliber, but the sensors cost a small fortune as well, so would still reuse the only set for each caliber, thus making the need for separate toolheads less important.

I have two toolheads, one for processing which takes 5 minutes to set up and one for loading.  The loading toolhead takes a good while to set up and tweak each time.

BTW, I have never had a squib on either system and have loaded some 80k-90k on my 550 over the years. I have had missed primers, but you know pretty quick when powder spills into the output bin.

Even with the powder check on the 1100, I visually look into the shell casing to ensure roughly the same amount has dropped into each case.  for 223, I installed a camera to look down into the case, but it does take my eyes off the machine a bit and I like to see the bullet seat to make sure it is reasonably upright.

All three are great machines, but I process and  ALOT more, and faster on the 1100 with 0 physical effort, I can save my shoulder for bowling.