Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the most unsafe thing you've seen at a match?

matir

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/25/2020 at 4:27 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

If you mean bullet splatters falling to the ground from folks shooting steels, that is just part of the game. 

If you mean you were standing where you were not protected from actual ricochets (bullet retaining mass and in the next range and some idiots shooting steel targets that are not flat and rated for their guns) then I understand. 

It made a wheezing whistling sound when passing overhead. The ones that hit the ground made a thud sound. 

At a local match. There was a V shaped stage. I wasn’t on the stage when this happened, but the shooter was towards to the point of the V on the left side and the RO was at the point of the inner V and when the shooter crossed over to the other side of the V. The RO was now in front of the shooter. Lucky no one was hurt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 7:10 PM, Gomar83 said:

At a local match. There was a V shaped stage. I wasn’t on the stage when this happened, but the shooter was towards to the point of the V on the left side and the RO was at the point of the inner V and when the shooter crossed over to the other side of the V. The RO was now in front of the shooter. Lucky no one was hurt.

Have seen the exact same thing at an IDPA match. 

Sectional championship, don't remember what year....During LAMR, as the gun is holstered, it goes off, bullet strikes the ground just to the right of competitor's foot.  RO says "Unload and show clear".  As the competitor un-holsters the gun, it goes off again....  Here's your ticket to the Dairy Queen....

This other guy only shoots matches.  Never comes to practice.  At the monthly outdoor match, gets DQ'ed for 210 break (as in 30 degrees past the 180).  Next outdoor match, he's DQ'ed again as his pistol gets hung up on the side of a barrel and another 180 break.  Next match is indoors.  I'm sitting in the back right corner of the range, he's running a stage that is on the front left side of the range.  He goes around a Bianchi barricade, dragging his gun along the side of it and now it's pointing directly uprange, after sweeping me and everyone else working the match along with half of the other competitors!  Third DQ in successive months.  Went to the club's Board of Directors and requested he be banned.  They sent him a registered, signature required letter informing him he is not allowed back on the property.

Looking down the barrel of a loaded gun in the hands of someone you know is dangerous is not fun.  As @Sargehas already said, it happens so fast....

BC

Edited by BillChunn

An Appleseed weekend, not a competition/match.

Old guy shows up with two of grandsons, probably 12/13 years old.  He's got a mini-14.  He pulls two old British Enfields out of cases and hands to the boys along with boxes of ammo.

The kids and grandpa listen to the opening instructions/etc. and it's time to start the instruction/shooting.  The kids grab their rifles and ammo and hit their shooting mats/rugs.

Right away one of them has issues trying to chamber a round.  Just can't get the bolt to close.  I go over, kneel down between the two boys and start trying to help the first one.  Uh oh.  7.62 NATO and a .303 chambered Enfield.  Figured the kids got the ammo mixed up and grandpa didn't check to make sure.

Turn to help the other kid and his rifle won't chamber the 7.62 ammo either.  First thing I thought was "another .303."  Nope.  Cosmoline.  Took it off the line and the grandson, too.  Got back behind the firing line and even had cosmoline in the barrel.  I like to never got that cleaning rod pushed through the barrel and it took a good while with brushes, patches and solvent to finally get that barrel clean of that old grease.  Darn good thing the chamber was plugged up, too, or there'd have been a mess when that kid touched off that first round.

Of course, grandpa was down on the line having a good old time while someone else was working to keep his grandsons safe.

14 hours ago, 71Commander said:

Never. You can accidentally grab the trigger.

This is no joke.  When I was going through my agency add on back in 2009, one of the firearms instructors decided to put his g19 on the toilet paper roll while he was going to the bathroom.  the roll rotated, gun fell, he caught it and hooked the trigger.  The round went past his face and missed it by 3 inches.  He felt the heat from the round/gun going off on his cheeks and needless to say, after that morning, we never saw that contractor again.

I've seen a number of true 180's. And one 360+ ,  but oddly enough I didn't feel I was in any danger with that one (low muzzle).

Saw a guy trip and throw his gun about 30 feet across the range.

An acquaintance of ours did shoot a hole in the long brim of his own hat.

Edited by cas

We had a shooter back out of a "hallway" and do a 270 to get to the targets on one side.  DQ.

The bad part was, I saw him shooting a while later.  I tasked the MD and he said "He is a Master shooter and knows what he did wrong.  He drove a long way to get here and I am letting him shoot for fun."

I attend an indoor match on Wednesday evening.  I have seen shooters get in such a hurry as to skid and go down on the painted concrete floor, even though it is swept between shooters to avoid brass roller skates.

After the recent dropped gun, shot RO, on a hard floor, I am more nervous than before.

Steel Challenge match, young shooter goes to holster, gets shirt tail caught as he does, puts round into the ground.  Luckily no on was hurt.

I have seen far more injuries setting up or tearing down than I have ever seen while shooting or ROing.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:54 PM, JFlowers said:

I have seen far more injuries setting up or tearing down than I have ever seen while shooting or ROing.

Ain't that the truth. Those target sticks have teeth by the end of the match.

Edited by matteekay