Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the most unsafe thing you've seen at a match?

matir

1 hour ago, DKorn said:

In fact, well-run matches with good safety practices are probably safer than participating in, say, a softball league. 

I used to do this kind of stuff for fun:

image.png.4e6149adadd5297dbef0b5acfeb050be.png

image.png.831287fff2a20d6b92c4e10978a32b2b.png

I got more injuries in 5 seasons doing that, than I have in 21 years as a shooter.  I even watched someone become a quadraplegic during a jump training session, and eventually die about a year later (the classic Christopher Reeve accident).

Shooting is safe

Edited by elguapo

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Is that eventing or cross country ?  would love to go watch that without having to sit through dressage and arena jumping...

Cross country is a part of eventing.  The three events (dressage, stadium, and xc) happen one at a time so you can watch whichever you want and ignore the others.  Personally I'm a dressage nut.  Hard as f*#k to ride well.

You should hit one of the big 3 star events around VA/NC/MD or make the trek to the KY Horse Park on the last weekend of April for the Rolex 4 star.

Edited by elguapo

Just now, Joe4d said:

What I got into after shooting,,, although  I briefly got into both mounted shooting,,, was fun,,,  50 mile endurance racing

img021.jpg

Nice.  Pony looks pretty fit and lean

Before at bottom think she was 848 lbs, and after, dont recall weighing,,, probably 9 plus, beefed her up  quite a bit, she is only 14:3 and I rode at 215 with tack,,,  tough as nails.  6 for 6 on 50's

14172013_10209405848376248_1487864782_n.jpg

Sandhills 50,,
humm back on topic guess I need to find pic of where I hooked my foot in gate on a mounted shooting course and nearly got dragged off horse with gun in hand,,, although kept muzzle down

_MG_9784_wm.JPG

Guess I'm too much of an animal lover, because there is nothing I hate worse than looking at something like Kentucky Derby, I would always be like " How about you get your asses off the horses and run down the track yourself ". They get glorified by getting something else doing all the hard work.

Always wish someone would round up them jockeys,  whip the crap out of them and see how fast they can run.

Edited by Vmax606

Since we're on the topic of horses, this is what I did for 20 yrs before starting competitive shooting.  Not me, but same thing.  Lower back got so bad couldnt walk after getting off horse.  Still miss it a lot.  

roping.jpg

One of the surgeons in town presented a case at our weekly morbidity and mortality meeting.  A woman was kicked by her horse and ended with a colostomy bag.  That sucks, right?

A couple of years ago I took care of a horse jockey.  While he never had a horse injury, he was in South America riding his bicycle.  The chain slipped off, he crashed, the handle bars got him right in the gut and his bowels popped out.  I'm not sure which is worse. Having your bowels pop out or being in South America when it happens.

I was RM at a match in the SanFran area. I was watching the action on one stage, and just before the start signal, an 84 year old gentleman turned around and leveled a .40 at my midsection, with his finger on the trigger. The muzzle was less than 2 feet from me.

I was in a bad mood for the remainder of the day.

25 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

I was RM at a match in the SanFran area. I was watching the action on one stage, and just before the start signal, an 84 year old gentleman turned around and leveled a .40 at my midsection, with his finger on the trigger. The muzzle was less than 2 feet from me.

I was in a bad mood for the remainder of the day.

It's almost as if you have to be (as an RO) ready to physically intervene to stop something like that.  I mean like physically controlling someone's arm/hand/pistol so that if it does discharge at least the only hole is in the dirt.

3 hours ago, Vmax606 said:

Guess I'm too much of an animal lover, because there is nothing I hate worse than looking at something like Kentucky Derby, I would always be like " How about you get your asses off the horses and run down the track yourself ". They get glorified by getting something else doing all the hard work.

Always wish someone would round up them jockeys,  whip the crap out of them and see how fast they can run.

You really don't know what you don't know.  

43 minutes ago, elguapo said:

You really don't know what you don't know.  

Probably goes for most of us. With dog racing you've basically got a situation where a lot of throw away animals are bred and a many of them who are not throw away animals still do not serve a purpose after they are past their prime. I'm not sure about the life of competition horses, if it is a good one then aok.

In a bullfight, I'm always hoping that the bull will draw first blood, and a lot of it. 

5 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Probably goes for most of us. With dog racing you've basically got a situation where a lot of throw away animals are bred and a many of them who are not throw away animals still do not serve a purpose after they are past their prime. I'm not sure about the life of competition horses, if it is a good one then aok.

https://friendsofferdinand.com/

https://www.retiredracehorseproject.org/

https://www.thoroughbredadoption.com/

http://www.horseadoption.com/

https://www.canterusa.org/

They are not throw aways

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

It's almost as if you have to be (as an RO) ready to physically intervene to stop something like that.  I mean like physically controlling someone's arm/hand/pistol so that if it does discharge at least the only hole is in the dirt.

Yeah. I honestly thought I broke the old man during the disarm. 

I felt really bad about that.

heard they are tasty also,,, remind mine I want to find out every now and then.
I know nothing about Derby style racing or treatment of the animals so dont comment. I do know about endurance, and you are dead wrong about horse doing all the work, also while some horses get pushed those that arnt into their job get pulled at the vet check.
Endurance is definitely a team sport. Depending on the terrain I may do as much as 20% on the ground. Also my teammate is depending on me to find food, water, keep them hydrated, monitor heart rate, its more like cavalry days. 
Take care of your horse or VOILLA ! you just got reclassed to infantry.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:11 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Back in the mid-80's at a semi-major match in Glen Rose, Texas a competitor did the unthinkable.  I did not witness his actions but word got around the match quickly.  I was told later that in addition to a match DQ, it also resulted in a permanent ban from USPSA.

A competitor on "unload and show clear" rushed through the process and holstered his pistol.  The RO advised he did not see an empty chamber and asked he show clear.  Per the version we heard, the competitor drew his gun, cocked back the hammer, pointed it at his temple and dropped the hammer.

Wowzers!!!

50 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

At USPSA nationals this last year a guy on our squad shooting a sig 320 holstered...gun was clearly in the kydex holster and the gun went off impacting right beside his foot. 

That might have been the gun.  It's a known issue.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

Back in the mid-80's at a semi-major match in Glen Rose, Texas a competitor did the unthinkable.  I did not witness his actions but word got around the match quickly.  I was told later that in addition to a match DQ, it also resulted in a permanent ban from USPSA.

A competitor on "unload and show clear" rushed through the process and holstered his pistol.  The RO advised he did not see an empty chamber and asked he show clear.  Per the version we heard, the competitor drew his gun, cocked back the hammer, pointed it at his temple and dropped the hammer.

My gun club has a sign at the front gate that says "No Stupid People Allowed!".  Maybe that club should have one also. His DQ and permanent ban was certainly justified. Ya can't fix Stupid!