Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the most unsafe thing you've seen at a match?

matir

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:14 PM, ima45dv8 said:

The more I think about the most dangerous thing I've seen at a match, I keep coming back to this guy who DQ'd his wife...

He'd have to turn the radio up REAL LOUD on the drive home. And, stopping on the way at her favorite restaurant might not hurt.    🤗

Edited by GOF

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Was that John Wick or Arnold ?

You wouldn't believe what I would have said, after I was resuscitated.     :eatdrink:

It was very, very gross. He was cool as a cucumber though. The rangemaster went with him to the ER because he was concerned about liability problems coming back on the range. That was honestly the last time I shot there. 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I believe that too many people are DQ'd for reasons that are against the written rules,

but no one was actually endangered by their infraction.

Isn't that the gold standard for good safety rules and good safety rule enforcement? We want to dq people before other people are actually put in danger. If that is not the intent then I need to find another hobby. 

20 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Personally I think this turn and draw stuff should just simply be done away with.

I agree.  

On 5/25/2019 at 12:39 AM, Mushki25 said:

Slow turn and draw.  It still happens before your ready, even the second time after a reminder not to repeat the mistake.  The guy was an old cadger that was simply having too much fun.  I felt bad dqing him even the second time.  I still see him at matches three years later from time to time but am happy to have not been on his squad.

I wouldn't want that guy at my range, and I wouldn't feel bad sending him home.

22 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Personally I think this turn and draw stuff should just simply be done away with.

1 hour ago, CSEMARTIN said:

I agree.  

No, just no

4 hours ago, RJH said:

No, just no

Plus one! We can’t bring matches down to the lowest level of competence for every scenario. What would be next? No uprange movement? 

If we're talking about matches other than USPSA/IPSC, I've been to more than a few GSSF matches where firearms were regularly handled/pointed when people where downrange pasting/changing targets.

Local USPSA match a guy whipped out his gun to dry fire his walk through during our '5 min walk thorough'

Then tried to argue that he does that all the time. 

Not directly from my eyes, But I was 2 bays over when it happened and heard about it at the club house afterwards.

1 hour ago, Dutchman195 said:

Local USPSA match a guy whipped out his gun to dry fire his walk through during our '5 min walk thorough'

Then tried to argue that he does that all the time. 

Not directly from my eyes, But I was 2 bays over when it happened and heard about it at the club house afterwards.

then he must get dq'd "all the time."  if not perma-banned from the various clubs.

At an NRA NPSC match years ago there was a guy who lit one off trying to jam his gun into his holster. There were 100 shooters on the line waiting for the tower to turn the targets. The round ricocheted off cement and hit the guy standing next to him. Maybe it was a chunk of cement that hit him, it just left a big welt. The Official zebra said “that’s ok, it was an accident”, and let him continue. I’m pretty sure they later did disqualify him.

• 2 weeks later...
On May 25, 2019 at 9:33 AM, Joe4d said:

at every turn and draw stage,,, as A shooter at make ready I stick my hand out indicating which way I am turning,,, as an RO I ask

It's been a few years, but one of the senior people in NROI told me I shouldn't ask, supposedly because it can be considered a form of interference (I really didn't understand that reasoning, then or now).

It might be because shooters may indicate one direction, but when the mind-emptying buzzer sounds, they go the other.

I've had that happen to me so I quit asking. And when told by the shooter which way they intend to turn, I just say Thanks while preparing for them to do the opposite.

14 minutes ago, kevin c said:

It's been a few years, but one of the senior people in NROI told me I shouldn't ask, supposedly because it can be considered a form of interference (I really didn't understand that reasoning, then or now).

Yeah, it’s bad practice to ask things like this of the shooter.  It doesn’t make any difference to me what way they turn. 

I recall from RO 1 being told to strictly stick to THE COMMANDS. Anything else is unnecessary distraction. The worse case scenario presented was the notion that it might be the only English an International IPSC competitor might know. If there's a choice of direction at the beep, I just back off to make either safe.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, laz2011 said:

A shooter arguing a 180 DQ  with an RO with a loaded gun in his hand . 

This should never happen if the RO does their job correctly. After the shooter breaks the 180 (or commits whatever DQable act):

Stop!

Unload and show clear. 

If clear, hammer down and holster. 

Range is clear. 

You broke the 180 when... I’m sorry but you are disqualified. Im going to call the RM over to discuss it with you. 

Discussion about or even simply telling the shooter why you stopped them can and must wait until after the gun is safely unloaded and holstered and the range is cleared. If they want to talk about it beforehand, repeat “Unload and show clear” and if you need to, tell them you’ll talk about it after the range is clear. 

The second the ro  yelled stop he began arguing the 180 break . The RO followed the commands . And  repeated  the unload command . There was no discussion  .You weren't there . The RO handle it fine . Also I can't say I ever experienced anything close to this since . And I ROed some matches .

5 hours ago, laz2011 said:

The second the ro  yelled stop he began arguing the 180 break . The RO followed the commands . And  repeated  the unload command . There was no discussion  .You weren't there . The RO handle it fine . Also I can't say I ever experienced anything close to this since . And I ROed some matches .

I didn’t mean to criticize the RO. I’ve just seen - and been tempted to do it myself - where the RO stops the shooter, then wants to explain why while the shooter is still standing there holding a loaded firearm, instead of giving the rest of the range commands first. 

I could definitely see how an argumentative shooter who thinks he knows why you stopped him could start arguing before you’ve even had a chance to say anything beyond the Stop command. At that point, it’s going to be awkward and uncomfortable no matter what. 

Back in the days of IDPA, I had a guy who on the load and make ready command, stove pipe his gun trying to Barney a round.  As I watched him struggle to clear the jam, I noticed he was getting close to the 180.  I Yelled stop and as we were taught in SO class, I went to swing his forearm back to a safer downrange position, he backed up and BANG!  I immediately looked down at my hand for a bullet hole while counting all five fingers.  Thankfully I was still intact with no bullet holes. 

• 2 weeks later...