Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the most unsafe thing you've seen at a match?

matir

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Got swept (with a loaded gun) by a gentleman doing the 180 turn and draw. Of course he drew then turned.

I've always thought stages that begin with the shooter facing up range was a bad idea.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:30 PM, ima45dv8 said:

Yeah. I honestly thought I broke the old man during the disarm. 

I felt really bad about that.

I got "broken" once very early on in my shooting.  It was the best thing for me.  I never forgot it and never did it again.

Stage start had on deck shooter to the left while the shooter laid pistol on a barrel down range. At the buzzer, the Nationally known shooter went to grab pistol and kicked barrel causing pistol to turn to the left and as he grab it, caused a ND 1 foot into berm beside me..MD came over and DQ’d shooter, but let him continue later saying it was a prop issue..

another time a National ranked shooter at the buzzer did a full 360 sweeping the whole squad and once again, the MD gave him a pass to continue to shoot..

57 minutes ago, GmanCdp said:

Stage start had on deck shooter to the left while the shooter laid pistol on a barrel down range. At the buzzer, the Nationally known shooter went to grab pistol and kicked barrel causing pistol to turn to the left and as he grab it, caused a ND 1 foot into berm beside me..MD came over and DQ’d shooter, but let him continue later saying it was a prop issue..

another time a National ranked shooter at the buzzer did a full 360 sweeping the whole squad and once again, the MD gave him a pass to continue to shoot..

That sounds pretty wild

I had a guy after giving the ulsc, decided instead to turn around with loaded pistol still in hand pointed at my midsection and started walking up range. 

I holler at least 3 times to turn back towards the berm. He says, "it's ok for me to do this, I know how to handle a gun"

After finally getting him to ulsc, I of course DQ him. He walks away (i thought to go home) but then shows back up when our squad was on the next stage and says the MD said he could still shoot. 

After having a chat with the MD and letting him know what actually happened, the guy got sent home and was told not to come back to that range if that's the casual attitude he has about gun safety. 

1 hour ago, Matt1911 said:

He walks away (i thought to go home) but then shows back up when our squad was on the next stage and says the MD said he could still shoot. 

After having a chat with the MD and letting him know what actually happened, the guy got sent home and was told not to come back to that range if that's the casual attitude he has about gun safety. 

the md overrode your dq without talking with you first, or was the shooter lying about that?  i wouldn't call his attitude casual, i'd call it almost if not actually criminal.  and i would have gone straight to the md after the dq and had him walked from the premises.

1 hour ago, davsco said:

the md overrode your dq without talking with you first, or was the shooter lying about that?  i wouldn't call his attitude casual, i'd call it almost if not actually criminal.  and i would have gone straight to the md after the dq and had him walked from the premises.

He lied about talking to the MD.

You're right, I should have talked with the MD after the incident, but I thought i had it solved and the guy was going home. 

It should have gone straight to the MD and let him decide his fate for future participation immediately. 

A lesson learned on my part. 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:34 PM, CSEMARTIN said:

I've always thought stages that begin with the shooter facing up range was a bad idea.

yeh,, I agree. Yes we should be able to do it, but really what is the point ?

6 minutes ago, davsco said:

it's fun.  it's challenging.  it's different.

Agreed. I prefer not to shoot a major match with 12 stages that are all “facing downrange hands at sides gun loaded and holstered. “ Throw a bunch of different stuff in there.

5 hours ago, GmanCdp said:

MD came over and DQ’d shooter, but let him continue later saying it was a prop issue..

"A relaxed range will soon become a dangerous one" -Bart Reiter. 

I remember the day Bart addressed the crowd before the start of a match.  His words struck a chord with me.  At the time I was a fairly new shooter and hadn't thought of it this way.  Over the years visiting many different clubs, I now understand what he meant.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:37 PM, CSEMARTIN said:

This is another example for why I am the last one on the range when it’s my turn to shoot.

Yes, when I'm given the "make ready" command before I pull my gun I visually affirm the range is clear.  The worst are stages that have hidden spots and if at all possible I will move to see behind them or hesitate long enough to allow them to clear.

You guys are seeing a lot more than I do.  But at my first ever match in 1978, 2 guys everyone else but me knew (I was a 22 yr old newbie) walked up to each other and drew against each other in the parking lot!?  I almost left, stayed, shot and saw no other issues during the match.  I quickly became part of the working group and was always strict on safety.  Never saw those 2 after I became active.  I had read (though common sense made it obvious) and corresponded with Cooper and knew that wasn't acceptable actions and I believe they were chastised for it.

Since, the worst was on an unloaded start w/gun on barrel.  I was RO'ing and cleared the range, turned to walk back to the start postiion and the next shooter pulls his pistol and places it on the barrel.  I will never get used to seeing a muzzle pointed at me.  The shooter earned a trip to Dairy Queen, a respectful explanation of why.  He learned his lesson and haven't seen that again.

At a match I try to always be on point for safety issues.  It can be life and death for sure so there is no room for error.

The most painful was again RO'ing and seeing the base of the bullet with rifiling a micro second before it hit me below my nose after it had rebounded off of a rebar stand.  Hurt like hell, bled a lot but didn't break the nose or lose any teeth.  One in a million shot doc, swear!  I won't use rebar plate stands anymore and thankfully no more T-posts holding up barricades.

I've seen 2 people (unrelated) shoot the ceiling of 2 different indoor ranges.  Saw a guy running trip and fall on his face with gun in hand.  Guy dropped his gun at a sectional and it spun a 360 on its way down sweeping everyone.

Edited by EazyRhino

Same guy draw before turning, gun pointed directly at me (the ro), at two different matches over the course of one summer.  I waited until he turned past me both times to stop him.  Both time he turned back facing me with the gun out to see why I stopped him.  I dqed him both times.  I would no longer ro for the guy.  Of course it was idpa.

2 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

The more I think about the most dangerous thing I've seen at a match, I keep coming back to this guy who DQ'd his wife...

😂 ☝️

One of your buddies, be a long ride home. 🤬

3 hours ago, Mushki25 said:

Same guy draw before turning, gun pointed directly at me (the ro), at two different matches over the course of one summer.  I waited until he turned past me both times to stop him.  Both time he turned back facing me with the gun out to see why I stopped him.  I dqed him both times.  I would no longer ro for the guy.  Of course it was idpa.

he must either be the faster drawer in the world, or the slowest turner in the world, or both, to get that gun out and up like that.  certainly after the 2nd time i would have pushed to have him banned from the club.  that's some serious stuff right there.

11 hours ago, davsco said:

he must either be the faster drawer in the world, or the slowest turner in the world, or both, to get that gun out and up like that.  certainly after the 2nd time i would have pushed to have him banned from the club.  that's some serious stuff right there.

Slow turn and draw.  It still happens before your ready, even the second time after a reminder not to repeat the mistake.  The guy was an old cadger that was simply having too much fun.  I felt bad dqing him even the second time.  I still see him at matches three years later from time to time but am happy to have not been on his squad.

21 hours ago, davsco said:

after the 2nd time i would have pushed to have him banned from the club.  

I believe that too many people are DQ'd for reasons that are against the written rules,

but no one was actually endangered by their infraction.

BUT, in this case, the RO was a tenth of a second from getting shot.   Twice.

I would seriously recommend he be banned, for life, from all competitive activity.

At a local IDPA match before I was shooting USPSA we had a guy draw, stick his off hand in front of the muzzle and put a clean .45 wadcutter hole directly through his hand. He immediately stopped, said I DQ myself, and then calmly looked through his hand down range with an "I'll be darn, I can see through my hand." 

34 minutes ago, Limitless13 said:

put a 45 wadcutter through his hand.  He said,  "I can see through my hand." 

Was that John Wick or Arnold ?

You wouldn't believe what I would have said, after I was resuscitated.     :eatdrink:

at every turn and draw stage,,, as A shooter at make ready I stick my hand out indicating which way I am turning,,, as an RO I ask... The common sense thing is to turn into your gun, most people arnt fast enough to clear leather and DQ,
Occasionally a more than partial retard stage has a turn and draw with the first target hard right on the range,, basically inviting most shooters to turn into their weak side, inviting unsafe actions and or a DQ trap.
Personally I think this turn and draw stuff should just simply be done away with.