Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most reliable 1911 single stack?

MisterPlink

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about a rock island. You'll spend less than half your budget on the gun leaving you $$ for mags, mag carriers, holster, ammo etc. For the gun itself, you'll need to buy a magwell and that's it.

These guns are reliable and rock island has a good customer service reputation.

Sig Max comes already set up with quality parts, including Dawson Ice magwell. Hard to beat that deal, as long as the funky slide contours don't bother you. Bonus, you get front strap checkering.

Same for Dan Wesson.

These will cost more but you wont need to spend any more on the gun itself.

In December I picked up a new Taylor Arms 1911 in 9mm (RIA), tricked out from the factory for under $580 with tax.  

It had an ambi safety and a magwell.  Shoots 4" groups at 50 yds and once I bought good cmc and metalform mags it's been 100% reliable.

All I've done is a trigger job.

Worth a look.

3 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Sig Max comes already set up with quality parts, including Dawson Ice magwell. Hard to beat that deal, as long as the funky slide contours don't bother you. Bonus, you get front strap checkering.

Same for Dan Wesson.

These will cost more but you wont need to spend any more on the gun itself.

The Sig Max and Springfield Range Officer are definitely on my short list. I like the Max because it comes tricked out from the factory. The less I have to tinker with it ... the better.

2 hours ago, MisterPlink said:

The Sig Max and Springfield Range Officer are definitely on my short list. I like the Max because it comes tricked out from the factory. The less I have to tinker with it ... the better.

If I was starting over, I'd go with the Sig Max in 9mm & .40 S&W (back when they made them in .40 S&W). 

In my experience, most $1500 1911s are pretty reliable (or they come from a good enough manufacturer who will make it right). In any case, the 1911 has been around a long time and there a ton of aftermarket parts and local smiths in case you want to modify them. If $1500 is your total budget, be sure to save a few bucks for a magwell and at least 4-5 mags with extended bases. 

You didn't mention caliber, but that is another variable. Depending on gun and caliber, the type/brand of magazine and bullet profile can affect reliability. 

I've had a bunch of 1911s over the years and some have had to make trips back to the shop, some ran perfect out of the box, some needed some break-in, others needed some minor polishing or tweaking to run particular ammo. No factory gun is immune to these possibilities. 

Springfield RO, Sig Max, Dan Wesson, STI Trojan are all good options. All of these companies support the sport, too.

Edited by JayDee

Buy once, Cry once is almost always a good strategy if you want something good that will last a long time and also hold its resale value well. Look at the For Sale thread on this forum. The higher end 1911's are selling for not much less than their new price. Rolling the dice on a "Cheap" 1911 and hoping it will be good is gambling. I have seen many of the $600 - $800 price range 1911's have frame/slide/barrel fit quality worse than an untrained monkey could do. I have also seen some that were fit really well. Not to mention the extensive use of MIM parts on the really cheap 1911's that won't hold up to competition level high round count use. People usually try saving money with buying cheap guns then dump more money than the gun is worth in high quality parts or reworking poorly fitted components. All the while battling it the whole way. Save yourself the grief and buy a good quality 1911 to start off with. At least that way, if you don't like it you can sell it for not much less than what you paid for it.

If you are serious about competitive shooting, then the cost of a high quality gun is going to be much lower down on the overall participation expenses list anyway. For example, if you reload your own ammo at .15 cents a round, and shoot 25K a year, that is $3,750 in ammo alone. Or fly to 5 out of state major matches a year is easily $5,000 in travel expenses. Once you start putting the cost of the gun into perspective to the other major expenses, spending several thousand dollars on a high quality gun is easily justified.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Im shooting a sig max in 9mm and have been very happy with it with the exception that the slide stop did not play well with my dawson mags.  The follower would over run the stop.  Put in a EGW slide stop and now all is well.