Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA considered expensive compared to other sports or hobbies?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

expensive for what you get out of it, or dollars per minute actually shooting a match.

to me it is in-line cost wise with other things. like pedal biking? well you've got an expensive up front cost for a bike. then the right clothes and shoes. then maybe a rack. a few accessories. then got to find time to ride it so your fitness is good so you're not bad at it. then there is social riding groups, then races ect.

it's cheaper than aaannnyyything with a motor invovled, that's for sure.

I think its comparable to most other things that adults - mostly but not always men - do for leisure activities. I have friends that dump untold cabbage into golf, fishing, fly fishing, ice fishing, motocross, camping, etc. I have friends who spend big bucks going to NFL football games and getting the NFL satellite package. And they never leave town. My brother has 8 horses and a donkey. Pick your poison, be honest with your budget and enjoy your sport while your health still allows it. If possible, take your wife/kids/friends. Life is short.

cheaper than anything you have to feed or buy gas for.

way more expensive than just about anything involving a couch/table unless you're into super big ticket booze.

there's a reason all the broke folks i know play video-games all day, the dolar to hour ratio is unbeatable.

#11...??? Is this one for real? I am not intending to be disparaging in any way. Just learning about new things that people choose to spend their time/$ on...

My wife has found "baby wraps". She uses them to wear the kid. Pretty handy in all honesty, but only used a few times a week and generally for fairly short periods of time. She has paid anywhere from $60-400 for these pieces of fabric and has around a dozen of them now. They make her "happy" or at least she derives some form of pleasure from it.

I would agree that shooting is generally no worse than most other hobbies can be. You can choose to make it as expensive as you want. A Glock and cheapo ammo to shoot local IDPA matches doesn't take much cash. You CHOOSE to make it more expensive by adding big matches, more expensive weapon platforms/divisions, and tons of other bits and pieces that drive up the cost.

Edited by wgj3

Any hobby you get truly interested in and want to pursue is going to cost money. It just depends what you want, or can afford, to spend on it. And, how interested you are in pursuing that hobby.

I would say that USPSA is about middle of the pack when it comes to expense in shooting sports. GSSF and IDPA could be considered less expensive, Skeet/Trap/Clays, 3Gun, PRS, SASS, could be considered more expensive. Not really a big difference from the expense of Golf. Racing is much more expensive.

I keep telling myself it's cheaper than golf---------definitely cheaper than anything that has a motor and the word "racing" involved.

Actually, it's VERY comparable to golf. A set of clubs is about what a gun costs. A match costs what a tournament costs, etc etc.

It's cheaper than my wife's sewing hobby. Her machines cost about 4 tanfo stock 2's each! Bullets are cheaper than fabric and thread.

Me and my family come from a drag racing and motocross back ground. This is by far cheaper and we can enjoy it year round, with some of the places we shoot indoors .

To keep cost down, you might want to consider reloading, if you aren't already doing so.

My grandkids (2 of the 5) play ice hockey ... :surprise:

Now, we are talking real money here (double for two of them).

if they are on a travel team, that stuff adds up pretty fast. If they are just playing locally, it should be reasonable except that kids outgrow equipment fairly quickly. Of course leagues with refs are a bit more expensive than pickup games, but around here I think it's still in the vicinity $10-15/game.