Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA considered expensive compared to other sports or hobbies?

I play hockey (goalie) and my mask alone was $1000, add $500 for a cool paint job, $2500 for pads, and about $1500-$2000 for the rest of the gear and you are in it for a ton.

USPSA is mid ranged IMO. Not cheap, but there is a lot more expensive stuff out there you can do!

Yikes. remind me to buy the goalie a beer next time.

I spent under $500 on my entire kit when I started playing hockey 2 years ago.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play hockey (goalie) and my mask alone was $1000, add $500 for a cool paint job, $2500 for pads, and about $1500-$2000 for the rest of the gear and you are in it for a ton.

USPSA is mid ranged IMO. Not cheap, but there is a lot more expensive stuff out there you can do!

I used to play semi-pro so of course I gotta buy all the expensive stuff now cause that's what I'm used to lol

I used to play semi-pro so of course I gotta buy all the expensive stuff now cause that's what I'm used to lol

so like the hockey equivalent of a Cameron Customs open gun..... ;) I'm pretty much running a glock with a better trigger (upgraded my skates to decent eastons on sale last year).

Hahah exactly. I've got the special offset thin blade Bauer skates... Luckily I was friends with an employee of the local hockey store and saved 50% on them, they still cost me $400!

Edited by Vanniek71

That's about what a good pair of skates will cost. Or two sticks.

That's about what a good pair of skates will cost. Or two sticks.

brazos custom sticks maybe. I got a stick better than i can use on sale for $120 or so, with a buy one get one free deal for the next model down in the same bend and flex.

There is so much gear on closeout out there, I feel no need to spend big bucks until i'm experienced enough to know exactly what I need. I guess I feel the same about guns tho.

compared to other hobbies or sports would it be considered expensive? for a day for me to shoot a match its probably about $50 in bullets, entry and gas.

so how would this compared to other sports or hobbies you have done?

All things considered, I do not think it is that bad. Now 3Gun and PRS, those are pretty pricey.

My friends who golf once a week spend about $50 for 18 holes when they add it all up. Shooting USPSA is cheaper than auto-racing, 4-Wheeling and probably even boating.

Fishing can be cheap, but some make it expensive. RC cars, planes, etc seem to be about the same outlay if one is serious about it. Hiking and biking are likely less costly and maybe better for you too.

I'm cheap, frugal or whatever and always try to save money when I can, but If you are somewhat responsible saving for retirement ect., you still need to have a life now. I can think of a few guys that never made it to retirement, or had big plans but are now held back by physical problems.

Hard to believe but I spent a lot more money on Archery over the years. A Glock isn't expensive and reloading is cheap.

That's nowhere as bad as Photography. New cameras are expensive and lenses will put you back a bunch.

Tooth guy comes closest to the core of the analysis. Anything you don't enjoy doing is costly in terms that matter - time away from things you enjoy. If you really enjoy something, you make it a priority and budget accordingly.

If you're trying to justify it to a significant other based on dollars, you might be missing the point completely. Doing things you enjoy brings energy and enthusiasm to your relationships. This is truly priceless.

Once the kids are fed, clothed and housed, everything else is a matter of setting priorities. If you love to ahoot, you can make it work by driving a cheaper car, brown bagging your lunch, etc.

If how you spend money is a friction point with wife or girlfriend then shooting not cost isn't the problem. Control is the problem and you need to fix that first. In my experience control battles are indicators of trust problems.

Now to your question, as other have noted shooting is cheap compared to fishing or flying. I usually spend less than $50 on a match, including lunch and gas. The hardware- pistol, holster, etc is sunk cost so I just amortize it. Really, the guns I shoot cost nothing compared to ammo for a year, but I don't own a custom built 1911 that I didn't build. I really like shooting production or Revolvers.

My most pricey handgun is a revolver that Toolguy fixed up for me. Best return on investment I have ever had in guns. He is a truly gifted machinist and teacher.

So back to the point. Don't try to justify based on fiat currency. The things than matter most are how much you enjoy the surplus in your life: surplus time for leisure, surplus money for joy, and surplus energy for the people who matter in your life.

I hunt. For the price of an average elephant hunt in Africa one can order several Infinity handguns and shoot thousands of rounds a year and attend various handgun boot camps. As a matter of fact I just ordered an Infinity, it cost less than one of my hunting rifles.

USPSA is inexpensive compared to a lot of other hobbies.

That being said, it is the enjoyment one gets from a hobby not the best bang for the buck that matters. If I wanted a real cheap hobby to occupy my time I'd go bowling ;) .

The initial cost can be high depending on the gun and gear you buy. Plus to help keep the cost down reloading is a must unless you pickup some great ammo sponsors. Also finding guys that will split the cost of ordering bulk helps out a ton. And in the end you control the rest of the cost depending on how much you want to shoot and travel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheaper than a boat... add in fishing ..... ... like the man said.. you get what you pay for :)

Yeah no kidding. I just sold my "cheap" boat and that thing would buy a nice Brazos custom limited gun.

All of the time away from the family, fighting traffic to/from Galveston, paying for boat gas, bait, ramp fees, etc., it was damned expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk