Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated vs coated (if the same price)

Nor-cal_Shooter

I’ve read every “coated vs plated” thread on this forum and lotta people seem to favor coated. But one of the main reasons is price. But what if they were the same price? Would the coated bullets be as good, if they weren’t the cheapest?

So if they were priced at the same cheap price, which one would you use? Why would you use that one over the other?

Edited by Nor-cal_Shooter

2 hours ago, Nor-cal_Shooter said:

I’ve read every “coated vs plated” thread on this forum and lotta people seem to favor coated. But one of the main reasons is price. But what if they were the same price? Would the coated bullets be as good, if they weren’t the cheapest?

So if they were priced at the same cheap price, which one would you use? Why would you use that one over the other?

Coated is more accurate for me.  Plated bullets just suck for accuracy. Hate them 

Edited by Alaskapopo

Prefer a quality Hi-Tek coated for practice.  Cost effective plated bullets have not been as accurate for me as coated has been, in several pistols.

I'll stick with bulk jacketed instead of going with the $$ nice plated.  So, no more plated.      

In an 9mm Major Open gun I had poor results with several plated brands I tried.  While I use jacketed for matches I have very good results with a couple of the popular brands.  In a 9mm revolver,  it’s coated on top of the food change…. So,  the decision may be subject to specific gun or division run.

People, my home club does not allow jacketed or plated bullets for steel matches.  Only lead or poly coated is allowed.  There is still plenty of splatter.

Copper is soft and the plating is .004" thick at best.  If you see shiny, sharp edged stuff, it is jacket material.