Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics Zero

MC_DO

A would suggest going between 15-20 yards so you don't have to think too much about hold over/under. Close zero minimizes need to hold over for close targets, but requires more holdover for far targets. 

Roughly speaking for practical pistol ranges your POI shift will be (target distance - zero distance)*bore offset/zero distance. So if your offset is 1" and you zero at 10 yards, you'll be 1" low at point blank, on at 10 yards, 1" high at 20 yards, 2" high at 30 yards, etc.. Drop starts to come into play around 50 yards, but that's rare in any pistol match. 

A 15 yard zero will put you +- your bore offset between point blank and 30 yards, which for an open gun is probably about +- 2". 20 yard zero gives you +- 2" between 0 and 40 yards. 

I zero all pistols at 25 yards, because 15, 25 and 50 yards are the only places targets can be set.  I have zero problems with a 25 yard zero.  RFRO at 16-17 so it is dead on at 50.  PCC at 25, because that is the closest target stand on that range.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember, our gracious host Brian does it in 17y. w/ due consideration to the size of the dot he uses. Cant remember if it was 4, 6, 8... but the idea is that from near (5y?) to farthest target (50y) the POI is always inside the area of the dot. Say a 6moa dot is about 6” at 100y,  1.5” at 25y and POI is within 0.75” above or below center of dot. At 50y size of dot is 3” and POI is within 1.5” from center of dot. So there is no hold over/under needed within 50y. POI will always be within the dot. 
Hope I got it right. Its how I zero my 6/8 moa reddot til now. I dont hold over/under at any distance I shoot and usually hit where my dot is whenever my trigger pull is good. Im using cmore serendipity and slideride by the way. 

Edited by BoyGlock

17 yards seems to be the happy point for me. You can hit an extremely precise shot at most distances you will ever see in a match and the close up stuff is not that far off with a micro red dot.  You still need to check your POI at 50 yards though as those sometimes come up and you need to know where to aim.