Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is lack of ammo starting to hurt participation?

-JCN-

A few guys at a match last weekend were complaining that Area 7 did not get cancelled. I asked them why dont they withdraw and let someone else take their place. LOL, they didn't like my question. 

Edited by Pnut

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got bullets, Primers and powder, if I can find 9mm brass, i'm golden....

Otherwise I'll have to go back to Limited from CO.  I've got enough .40 stuff to last a year. 😉

The match near me at Triple C Range filled fast, I only got in because they added another another squad. 🙂

18 hours ago, Chutist said:

I've got bullets, Primers and powder, if I can find 9mm brass, i'm golden....

Geez, at the clubs I shoot at the brass buckets are filled with 9mm brass.  If you want to buy some, Ken Marx of Kenny's Brass, LLC sells fully processed same HS brass for $150 per 3000.  Fully processed includes primer pocket swaging and roll sizing.  He also sell the less desirable HSs for less.  kennethallanmarx@yahoo.com 

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

Geez, at the clubs I shoot at the brass buckets are filled with 9mm brass.  If you want to buy some, Ken Marx of Kenny's Brass, LLC sells fully processed same HS brass for $150 per 3000.  Fully processed includes primer pocket swaging and roll sizing.  He also sell the less desirable HSs for less.  kennethallanmarx@yahoo.com 

Hey thanks, I'll reach out.  A-1 is like 9 months out...

35 minutes ago, Chutist said:

Hey thanks, I'll reach out.  A-1 is like 9 months out...

Don't wait unless you don't care which HS you get.  Good, same HS brass is getting harder to come by.  I had to wait 2-3 weeks for the order that just got delivered.  I now have 12k on hand, so I'm good for another year assuming I find primers.

Well, I'd have to say yes judging by the participation at the last three matches I've shot. I normally register for a certain SCSA match at 6 PM Sun when registration opens, because it fills quickly.  For some reason I forgot to and didn't remember until late Mon morning.   I logged into Practiscore sure I would be waitlisted.  Amazingly there were open slots; a lot of them.  Now on Wed afternoon there are still many open slots.

Our local indoor matches (2x/month) just cancelled for the rest of the year because only 4-6 people have been showing up (vs. normal of 20 to 24).

Local monthly IDPA match went from 6 stages to 4 stages with reduced rounds. Numbers down quite a bit.

One larger area club having lower attendance.

• 1 month later...

Well, one club I belong to has a monster match every Nov.  They will again this year but are limiting the round count to 200ish because of the ammo and component shortage.  Of course I'm going to shoot the match, but I'll reserve judgement.  If they cut out the outright hoser stages, I'm fine with it.  I'd rather shoot high round count technical stages with lots of movement.  At 73 it's about the only exercise I get until the gyms open again.

31 minutes ago, Steppenwolf said:

Only match within 150 miles radius is a monthly IDPA with reduced to 3 stages with limited round count. Only 7-9 people showing up last two months. USPSA indoor matches cancelled for two clubs for who knows how long.

Wow!  I feel lucky. All the matches around me are pretty much filled.  The only difference is you don't have to register in the first 90 seconds to avoid being waitlisted.  There are still 2 open slot for the SCSA match this Sat.  That was unheard of pre-covid.

^^ This.  Stop for a while and everything else starts taking up the time you had previously reserved, making it tougher to get back to it.

Also I see very few new shooters coming in, whereas there were usually a handful every match, so regular attrition is eating away at the numbers.  Coupled with covid fears, low availability of components, ammo and current-hotness pistols and it's no wonder if growth is not there. 

Since I last posted to this thread in August, we've seen a big shift to .22 not only in steel challenge but also in our Action Steel matches.  Numerous PCC shooters have switched to the 10/22 or S&W 15/22 platforms.  We're still getting full squads and we've added another stage to Action Steel.  We did reduce the round count from mid to high 20 rounds down to the low 20 rounds per stage.  Adding another stage kept total round count about the same but allowed us to accommodate more shooters by adding another squad, and give shooters more variety.  USPSA participation has gone down some, but I don't know if ammo is the reason or not.  IDPA shooters also seem to be rationing their 9mm during practice sessions.

many  matches in my area are shutting down for the rainy season soon  so that will help folks on the ammo issue ..  folks that have stuff now are concerned if they will have  enough stuff for next season.  lotsa talk out there about the primer drought lasting a couple of years 

Just shot the last outdoor match of the season.  162 rounds expended, same as always.

We did see quite a few of no shows, not sure if it was weather or ammo related.

Nobody I know around here gives a s#!t about the chinese virus.

Edited by SGT_Schultz