Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is lack of ammo starting to hurt participation?

-JCN-

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting to see it on the Steel Challenge side. Shooters only competing with one gun, etc.  There are several who are holding on to ammo for the upcoming state and world matches. Heck, one friend who is a factory shooter for a major ammo company can't even get ammo from them.  

Im down to 20K primers and the selves are bare. Every now and then I find a couple of thousand at some out of the way place and buy them.. Even that is getting hard. The 20K will last me 4 months. I don't expect this to improve in four months.

my last score was actually before all this. A widow pawn type situation. Bunch of Remington primers at a non gun store pawn shop with old original price tags on them  19.99 per k,. 

I briefly got into mounted shooting when I quit USPSA, and ordered a max under 1 hazmat fee load of LPP for loading blank ammo.. Only did a couple matches,, and there the primers sit. This year getting into pins and 45 ACP,, ( had always only shot SPP guns)  Plus LPP's are a bit easier to find right now, have an order from Powder valley coming

I know I'm practicing less because of ammo cost and wondering what the future will bring, that's for sure. I can imagine that even with participation in matches staying up, it's the case foe many. (That and a renewed interest in reloading.)

On 8/8/2020 at 9:43 AM, mvmojo said:

Once 9mm jumped above about $0.24/round saw shooters switching to .22 for Steel Challenge matches to save on ammo costs.

I bought a ton of 22s last year when they were cheap again. Steel challenge is my backup if primers aren't back in stock for next season.

I just skip practice instead...lol.

I just shot a 5 stage 40 round per stage match.  It was full.  Most matches around here still have waitlists...but they've been limiting squad size/participants to 10 per squad or so.  The covid restrictions are hurting more than the ammo shortage 

My latest match went live last Friday.  From 0-84 in under two minutes and over 120 people registered.  I do intend to feel out the ammo situation during registration to see what people are doing and feeling 

I drive on average 2 to 2 1/2 hrs to go to matches, if round count goes down like it did before,I won’t be going. This is just me of course.  To durn hot now any way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hurting Steel Challenge the most in the KC area. More people are going to shoot rimfire and conserve their small primers.I think the bullets will come back in supply before primers. Eventually people will have lots of bullets and no primers the way it looks right now. Powder seems not to be a problem.

Well it has just started to happen around me.  The match today was not full for the first time.  I'm sure the forecast for rain all day had something to do with it, but not totally.

Many have switched Divisions because of ammo and component shortages.  The MD today shot RFPO for the first time, because he has no more 9mm ammo.  One Open shooter is shooting SS now because he ran out of 124gr bullets.  The guy I mentioned earlier switching from PCC to CO because of the shortages is now shooting SS and will shortly run out of 45 loaded ammo.  His problem is primers.  So is mine.  I've switched from Open to RFPO for SCSA because I'm trying to conserve primers.   I've a lot of 22 ammo, so I may end up shooting RFRO and RFPO near the end of the year.  Fortunately I'm good on 9mm major, because I loaded a bunch up before all this crap hit.

Edited by zzt

40 minutes ago, mpmo said:

GSSF fall match series cancelled at my local range. Citing both Covid and shortages they didn’t feel like they would have the participation.

Was that a range or a GSSF call?  Wonder if ours will be cancelled as well.

Edited by Intheshaw1
Spelling

I have been surprised at times with the number of shooters I see at matches who are shooting factory ammo. Almost always 9mm. People who have relied on being able to buy a few hundred rounds as needed for matches while not stockpiling more have it pretty rough now.

I haven't had a problem buying coated lead bullets other then a little more delay in shipping. Other bullets may be harder to get. I'm pretty set with powder and primers and brass. 

I reload everything including 9mm. More 9mm shooters will probably consider reloading when components are available now that they've seen how much ammo might cost at certain times.

have not seen it at local matches yet . participation is same or higher.  but our area was shut down for close to 3 months for matches so that has helped people that did not have a lot of ammo stored.  our matches have been going on for 2 1/2 months now so i expect to see peopel running out ammo sooner or later

• 2 weeks later...

In New England they fill in less than 1hr. 

But no one can find primers, so eventually it will slow down. 

I shot a match last weekend, shooting a match this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The Friday match will be around 300 rounds (although the website says to bring 400). That is 900 - 1K rounds in one week. 

I will definitely have to slow down. Maybe one match per month during winter. 

I know people that dont know how they will get ammo traveling cross country. Some are afraid of shipping it and it getting "lost" (I know a dude that happened to), but they also can't find ammo locally and flying with ammo you are limited by weight and quantity. 

The damn primers need to go back in stock. 

Edited by Pnut

• 2 weeks later...

It is now impacting our area. Local outdoor match in September cancelled for not enough participation. Indoor matches down to 6 or 7 people (from two squads of 10) recently. Even the local IDPA club has cut the upcoming September match from six stages to four stages with limited round count. Several people have noted that they are not shooting because of ammo situation. One large club a couple of hours north has had decreasing turnout overall.