Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Middle priced 1911

Woodsparrow

I just worked a ton of OT and got a refund from some other stuff. All told it's poking around 4500 left in the 'gun fun' bucket. And really I'd only like to spend a portion of that anyway.

I don't think I can afford a true 'custom' 1911, and I know for sure it would be a wasted value on me. If I wanted to spend 1500 or so, what would I look for?  It'll be a fun, range, maybe try USPSA single stack or something (unless someone has a double stack suggestion I guess).

Dan Wessons get good reviews, but the lower entry level vigil has an aluminum frame, and I'm not sure about that. Meanwhile the higher tier guns seem to start around 2000$

I'm open to single/double stacks, and 45 or 9. I know the Springfields get good reviews, I was just curious about buying a better gun instead.

Edit: I found Dawson Precision has STI Edges for 2k. So let's use 2k as a better base line?

Edited by Woodsparrow

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just worked a ton of OT and got a refund from some other stuff. All told it's poking around 4500 left in the 'gun fun' bucket. And really I'd only like to spend a portion of that anyway.

I don't think I can afford a true 'custom' 1911, and I know for sure it would be a wasted value on me. If I wanted to spend 1500 or so, what would I look for?  It'll be a fun, range, maybe try USPSA single stack or something (unless someone has a double stack suggestion I guess).

Dan Wessons get good reviews, but the lower entry level vigil has an aluminum frame, and I'm not sure about that. Meanwhile the higher tier guns seem to start around 2000$

I'm open to single/double stacks, and 45 or 9. I know the Springfields get good reviews, I was just curious about buying a better gun instead.
do you specifically want 1911/2011 platform? what division were you thinking of?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

do you specifically want 1911/2011 platform? what division were you thinking of?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I think so. I have a nice CZ, and would like to add in a 1911 or 2011 for some division. I'm told single stack is dead locally, so prod/limited?

3 minutes ago, Woodsparrow said:

I have a nice CZ, and would like to add in a 1911 or 2011 for  prod/limited?

If I had a "nice CZ", I'd stick with it and shoot it a lot    :)

You can't use a 1911 for either Production or Limited, but you can use either

a Glock for Production or a 2011 for Limited.   BUT, why not the CZ for Limited ?

Are you tied to any caliber?

An alternative is to buy a RIA and eventually have some work done just to see if its even the platform for you.

STIs are very nice but i have no experience with the edge aside from holding one once.

I jumped in and bought a Wilson cqb as my first pistol and have been very satisfied with it for the past 14 years or so.

2 hours ago, Woodsparrow said:

Price wise the Dan Wesson PM 9 is the best off the shelf gun in a 1911 Style

Seems like you don't want the Stainless.

Question, is it because it's stainless metal or because of the color.

If it's color only get it nitrated or something like that in black/blue.

And or call Dan Wesson and ask them if they will color it for you or build a Carbon PM 9 

They have been very accommodating when it comes to custom work but I don't know if they will do a new custom finished gun

Just some thoughts for you to think on!

W, I shoot  CZ TS, 1911 and 2011.  I like them all with a caveat.  When switching between the TS and a 1911/2011 I have to dry fire first, because of the different grip angle and ergonomics.  If I don't I have to look for the sights.

You want a gun.  You're willing to spend $2k, but you have no idea what you want.  The first thing you have to do is be honest with yourself and decide what you really want a new gun for. 

If you want to shoot bullseye, SS, L10 or IDPA CDP, then get a 1911 in 45.  You have lots of first rate options to choose from in your price range.  If you pick 45 you pretty much have to reload.

9mm 1911s are problematic.  The guns are great, but mags can be difficult.  I went through four name brands before I found some that worked.  Your choices of first rate guns is also limited.  Unless you simply wnat to shoot store bought ammo, I honestly don't see the point of a 9mm 1911.  That being said, I did build a custom 1911 9mm Open gun for steel challenge.

2011s:  you are not going to find a first rate 2011 in your price range.  STI is the last place I would look.  Anything new in that price range will require tweaking to get it to run.

BTW, you can have a good 2011 built for $2k or slightly more.  For 2011 I'd choose 40 S&W.  You can shoot Limited major, or minor, and minor for steel challenge.

Hello: You could look at the Sig Max in 9mm. I had the 45 but it did not fit my large hands and I didn't want to start cutting on the frame. The Springfield Loaded in 9mm is pretty nice if you can find one. The old STI Spartans are pretty nice for the money as well as the Trojans. If you don't reload I would get a 9mm and some Dawson magazines. Any of the name brand pistol companies make good 9mm 1911's from what I have seen. The Springfields fit my large hands better than most of the others. Thanks, Eric

19 hours ago, Woodsparrow said:

Do those come in something aside from stainless? I haven't seen them.

The PM9 comes in around $1,300 so you could get it refinished however you like with the money left over. 

I currently shoot a PM9 Dan Wesson.  After shooting it, I wouldn't even consider another manufacturer.  Awesome piece of gear.  Mine runs like a sewing machine.  Definitely my favorite gun to shoot.  I was hesitant because I don't prefer stainless guns either.   Once you shoot one, you won't care what color it is. 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:23 PM, Woodsparrow said:

Edit: I found Dawson Precision has STI Edges for 2k. So let's use 2k as a better base line?

The STI Stacatto retails for 1999.  

I think your money is burning a hole in your pocket. If you don't know what you want or what division you want it for then you shouldn't be buying anything.

The price of a gun is peanuts versus the price of ammo and match travel and entry fees to come later. There actual value of the gun to you is the most important consideration.. Hoew it feels and how well you shoot it is key.. Not the price.

You're not ready yet if you think you want a 45. Figure out what division you want to shoot then look for the gun. Production get a 9mm.. Limited get a 40 and shoot major with a 2011 or some CZ or equivalent. Best advice I have is but a Da/Sa CZ like a Shadow 2 and shoot Proc

ruction until you get a clearer picture of your future.