Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Middle priced 1911

Woodsparrow

On 11/1/2019 at 8:21 AM, George16 said:

You can send it to the Sig armorer (Mr Burke) and have him do his magic on the trigger. 

I have felt his x5 trigger job.  He does fantastic work.  👍

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In an effort to be helpful, in this thread.. a few posts up... I  posted a link to the 1911Heaven web site as CJ is downsizing and has several nice Les Baer pistols on sale.

Well... I ended up buying one myself🙄

On 11/3/2019 at 6:44 AM, DWS said:

Another good source for 1911's and he is currently downsizing and the following are below wholesale.

This guy (cj) is well know and has a good rep in the 1911 community

https://cj1911heaven.com/LesBaerInventory.html

Thanks for this info. I just contacted him and ordered another Les Baer. Dang good prices and a super nice guy. Be ready to talk.......

Edited by AZGlock21

26 minutes ago, AZGlock21 said:

Thanks for this info. I just contacted him and ordered another Les Baer. Dang good prices and a super nice guy. Be ready to talk.......

Agreed - John (CJ) is top shelf and more than willing to share his experiences and stories !

I had a similar budget and wanted a dual purpose 9mm 1911 (SCSA and USPSA).

I went a different way, a $500 lightly used Springfield RO.  It totaled at $550 with shipping and dealer's fees.

I did the trigger work, and added a magwell, guide rod, safeties, etc.  I also sent the slide out to be tri-topped and have front serrations cut.

My goal was to have the gun I wanted and to do enough of the work to have a better knowledge of how MY gun worked.

I still have to checker the front strap (I haven't bought the jig and files yet) and have it refinished, DLC.

My total investment is close to $1500.  With Trip and Dawson mags, it runs great and groups better than I can shoot with 115's, 124's and 147's.

I own a Baer Premiere II, a great gun, and have shot a couple of DW PM9's that were also great guns.  I didn't want to spend $1200-$1500 on a gun and then start the changes.

I did the same thing, Cferree. 

I picked up my Springer Range Officer Elite in 9mm this Tuesday. 

It was like new. The guy had it as a back up gun for Classic Division and hadn't even changed anything on it.   Just fired a few rounds and left it at that. 

I added a Dawson magwell. 

Put in a 10 pound recoil spring. 

will add Ed Brown mag catch plus reduced-power spring this week.

Added competition main spring. 

Added a full length guide rod. 

I will still add a Vario X-line straight trigger. 

The down side is indeed the lack of forward serrations on the slide and the lack of checkering on the front strap. 

But the barrel is TIGHT and that's for sure a positive. 

Unfortunately it does not feed my reloads as it has a really tight chamber, but I'll start using a EGW U-die to solve that issue. 

Springer.jpg

I would 100% be looking in the  1911addicts.com classified section.  Those guys are all reasonable, and the with the market being down you can score a really amazing gun for much less than they should be going for.

ive seen Wilson’s in the sub 2k range of late.

Dont rush and buy when you know it’s the right deal!

Additionally, most of those guys are not gamers, so the majority of the 1911’s there will be very much like new.  

If you’re looking for a single stack option, STI just announced their Staccato-R. It’s a pretty sexy single stack with a 5” bushing barrel/slide and polymer single stack grip, a single stack version of their modular double stack. 

I have the Staccato-C and I am very happy with it. 

3 hours ago, Descartian said:

If you’re looking for a single stack option, STI just announced their Staccato-R. It’s a pretty sexy single stack with a 5” bushing barrel/slide and polymer single stack grip, a single stack version of their modular double stack. 

I have the Staccato-C and I am very happy with it. 

Two guns for the price of one and an extra 2011 grip frame?

Only problem is it is not currently legal for Single Stack division

Special conditions: 
Only 1911 production type pistols.  Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning.  Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory originals are acceptable.  Frames must be metal. 

I received the Les Baer CC with magwell, single sided safety, fiber optic front sight on friday that I had ordered from CJ at 1911Heaven. Took it out on the maiden voyage yesterday morning. Wiped it down on the outside, shot a bunch of lube into it after bumping the muzzle to get the action open (since its a Baer). I put 500 round of 230gr S&B, Winchester white box, and a hundred or so of my 200gr LSWC reloads through it. I expected multiple malfunctions due to break in. I didn't experience a single malfunction. the thing ran flawlessly. At 2000 bucks I think this thing is a winner. 

On 11/17/2019 at 1:13 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Only problem is it is not currently legal for Single Stack division

Special conditions: 
Only 1911 production type pistols.  Must be available to the general public and have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning.  Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory originals are acceptable.  Frames must be metal. 

The "Frame" as ATF defines it, is metal.

That's what the STI rep said USPSA decided.  The lower grip section is just some fancy grip panels.

From the Feb 2019 BOD minutes:

15. Competitor    and    range    equipment    review-President    &    DNROI    

b. Modular    single    stack:        It    was    determined    by    consensus    to    fit    within    existing    
division    rules    as    the    frame    is    metal.    

7 hours ago, shred said:

The "Frame" as ATF defines it, is metal.

That's what the STI rep said USPSA decided.  The lower grip section is just some fancy grip panels.

From the Feb 2019 BOD minutes:

Ok

you gotta love the power of advertising.

2 years ago Troy. said an old school STI I had was not legal because of the poly grip.

It was one of the old STI grips that used 1911 mags with a 2011 frame.

It's good news for those who like the pistol.  the more the merrier!

On 11/17/2019 at 4:06 PM, AZGlock21 said:

I received the Les Baer CC with magwell, single sided safety, fiber optic front sight on friday that I had ordered from CJ at 1911Heaven. Took it out on the maiden voyage yesterday morning. Wiped it down on the outside, shot a bunch of lube into it after bumping the muzzle to get the action open (since its a Baer). I put 500 round of 230gr S&B, Winchester white box, and a hundred or so of my 200gr LSWC reloads through it. I expected multiple malfunctions due to break in. I didn't experience a single malfunction. the thing ran flawlessly. At 2000 bucks I think this thing is a winner. 

Nice !

I ordered almost the exact same, will shoot it this weekend.

Agreed, at that price point, it's hard to beat !