Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Middle priced 1911

Woodsparrow

7 hours ago, Brooke said:

I think your money is burning a hole in your pocket. If you don't know what you want or what division you want it for then you shouldn't be buying anything.

The price of a gun is peanuts versus the price of ammo and match travel and entry fees to come later. There actual value of the gun to you is the most important consideration.. Hoew it feels and how well you shoot it is key.. Not the price.

You're not ready yet if you think you want a 45. Figure out what division you want to shoot then look for the gun. Production get a 9mm.. Limited get a 40 and shoot major with a 2011 or some CZ or equivalent. Best advice I have is but a Da/Sa CZ like a Shadow 2 and shoot Proc

ruction until you get a clearer picture of your future.

Eh, yeah. I thought I was pretty up front about that.  I get bored and shop. Good advice. Just filling time here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, EEH said:

Nope, you can still buy them at your budget. One of the guns I wish I had back.

You may need to show me a link. All the pistols on their website start at 2200 or more.

Edit: May have been unclear on my part, but my budget for this was more in the 1500-2000 range, not the other 4500 number - I'd only spend that if I was a serious competitor.

Edited by Woodsparrow

On 10/17/2019 at 12:23 PM, Woodsparrow said:

I just worked a ton of OT and got a refund from some other stuff. All told it's poking around 4500 left in the 'gun fun' bucket. And really I'd only like to spend a portion of that anyway.

I don't think I can afford a true 'custom' 1911, and I know for sure it would be a wasted value on me. If I wanted to spend 1500 or so, what would I look for?  It'll be a fun, range, maybe try USPSA single stack or something (unless someone has a double stack suggestion I guess).

Dan Wessons get good reviews, but the lower entry level vigil has an aluminum frame, and I'm not sure about that. Meanwhile the higher tier guns seem to start around 2000$

I'm open to single/double stacks, and 45 or 9. I know the Springfields get good reviews, I was just curious about buying a better gun instead.

Edit: I found Dawson Precision has STI Edges for 2k. So let's use 2k as a better base line?

if you ever wanted an STI edge you better snatch one up for that price.  when they are gone, they are gone... STI won't be making anymore of them

5 minutes ago, GOF said:

If you're looking for a good Single Stack 1911, take a look at the Ruger Custom Shop Doug Koenig 9mm and .45. I've shot both. Excellent guns.

Interesting. MSRP is well over $2000. Any idea about real world pricing?

5 minutes ago, perttime said:

Interesting. MSRP is well over $2000. Any idea about real world pricing?

No idea. But I would suspect in today's market the price would come down a few hundred dollars, at least. You might do some online price checking.

I would consider a "used" Baer, Wilson, Guncrafter as they can be found for around the 2K - 2.5K price point gently used.

Any of the above tend to hold their value rather well.

I have a GC NoName that I like very well.

1911 addicts is a good place to find quality used 1911's

I purchased a customized and tuned S&W 1911 E-series for a very good price about a year ago.

On 1911 addicts you can often find some very good/fair prices on the used mid tier 1911's  like Baer, Wilson, NightHawk, GC, etc

The guys over on 1911 addicts, just like here, are generally good folks.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:03 PM, nikdanja said:

Back in the day I started out shooting ss with a kimber custom 2. Still have that gun and won’t ever sell it. The kimber mags they send you are junk but it’s a great gun. 

When I hear someone say "Back in the day" when talking about a Kimber Custom II, it just makes me feel old.