Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GET YOUR MONEY TOGETHER!!! (New Dillon XL750)

Then let’s all assume that it borrows from the 1050’s sliding powder bar system, and not the 550’s.

I loved that upgrade when moving from the 650 to the 1050: it always works, you have actual control over seating depth, and it doesn’t spit out primers when a case is absent.

While I’ve never used a 1050. I see primer system problems all over the Internet discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, hotshot357 said:

That's what I was told. He said they had one set up in the show room. He told me also that it will have a new priming system.along with other improvements. The man said Dillon listened to what the buyers were telling them. He didn't say it but I'm guessing it will be a XL 750.

A new priming system on a 650??? The 650 has the most robust and reliable priming systems of all the Dillon machines.

1 hour ago, cvincent said:

While I’ve never used a 1050. I see primer system problems all over the Internet discussions.

The priming system on my 1050 sucked! I hated that machine!

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Then let’s all assume that it borrows from the 1050’s sliding powder bar system, and not the 550’s.

I loved that upgrade when moving from the 650 to the 1050: it always works, you have actual control over seating depth, and it doesn’t spit out primers when a case is absent.

looking at the pic it sure looks like a 550 primer set up.  I moved to my 650 when I had to take down my 550 every 5 or 600 rounds to clean the primer slide.  

So They took some parts off a RL1050 and slapped them on a super1050, and call it a 1100. Took some parts off a 1100 and call it a cp2000. Took some parts off a 550, slapped them on a 650 and call it a 750. Boom. Got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, m700 said:

The 550 priming system is OK if you keep it clean/lubricate/Add roller bearing.

Meh, not really. I consider the priming system to be the Achilles heel of the 550.

6 hours ago, Sarge said:

Meh, not really. I consider the priming system to be the Achilles heel of the 550.

Sarge, what kind of problems were you having with the primer system on the 550 and what did you do to correct them (besides going to a 650)? 

I've had a few issues, here and there, with priming on my 550...but change out the tip on the primer tube, or put a new slide in (old slide was worn out and wobbly) and they cleared up....so, I attribute the issues I had to wear and tear, not poor design. 

Just wondering if you were having different issues, and what corrected them.

I didn't like the 550 primer system due to the fact the bearing surface had to be cleaned very frequently. Repeated tweaks of the operating rod, the plastic tip of the primer mag wearing out and the little nylon screw under the primer stack needed attention. Repeated polishing of the bearing plate and bottom of the primer bar. Other than that, it was carefree 😉.

(But the real reason for going to the 650 was the lack of case feeder for the 550 (2004). Heck, if I knew I was going to wind up mostly 9x19, I would of went 1050...)

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Sarge, what kind of problems were you having with the primer system on the 550 and what did you do to correct them (besides going to a 650)? 

I've had a few issues, here and there, with priming on my 550...but change out the tip on the primer tube, or put a new slide in (old slide was worn out and wobbly) and they cleared up....so, I attribute the issues I had to wear and tear, not poor design. 

Just wondering if you were having different issues, and what corrected them.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I didn't like the 550 primer system due to the fact the bearing surface had to be cleaned very frequently. Repeated tweaks of the operating rod, the plastic tip of the primer mag wearing out and the little nylon screw under the primer stack needed attention. Repeated polishing of the bearing plate and bottom of the primer bar. Other than that, it was carefree 😉.

LOL. Pretty much sums it up. In my case add in a warped bar that gave me fits for a few months until I tried a new one. Took awhile to figure out the bearing plate was Teflon coated so hitting it with green scrub pads was counter productive. But I have to say constantly bending the operating rod looking for the ever changing sweet spot was the worst.

So it looks like Dillon has stopped taking online orders for the 650.  I have also now seen a pic on a different forum of the 750 at the Dillon store.  How long are we going to be able to get parts for the 650?  If I cant get parts will there be a cheep way to upgrade my 650 frame?

For all you folks who said they had issues with their 550's primer bar, allow me to point out one significant difference between the 550 and this new 750.

According to the pic posted on the first page of this thread, the 750 will be priming at Station #2...kinda like the 650 does now.

The 750...like the 650....will still deprime at Station #1.

The problem with all the dirt and grime getting on the 550's primer bar is that the 550 deprimed at Station #1 AND then re-primed at Station #1 also.

Sooo...like that old saying about direct impingement AR15's/M-16's, the 550 "poops where it eats" (or eats where it poops).

34 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

For all you folks who said they had issues with their 550's primer bar, allow me to point out one significant difference between the 550 and this new 750.

According to the pic posted on the first page of this thread, the 750 will be priming at Station #2...kinda like the 650 does now.

The 750...like the 650....will still deprime at Station #1.

The problem with all the dirt and grime getting on the 550's primer bar is that the 550 deprimed at Station #1 AND then re-primed at Station #1 also.

Sooo...like that old saying about direct impingement AR15's/M-16's, the 550 "poops where it eats" (or eats where it poops).

I hope this is all the fix that is needed but only time will tell.  I will not be buying or upgrade until we see how it works

1 hour ago, rustychev said:

I hope this is all the fix that is needed but only time will tell.  I will not be buying or upgrade until we see how it works

I just went through my club/range contact to order another 650 and a casefeeder.

My one gunclub/range has a dealer's account with Graf's of Mexico, MO.

Ya know what's weird about this whole thread/topic?

1. we didn't hear a thing or rumors or hints from January's SHOT show about this press...whereas, that CP1100 and whatever other press was all the rage at the last SHOT show...and this new 750 press is supposed to be orderable come August 1st????

and

2.  who is eye searingly absent from this thread?  who hasn't posted in this thread?

You would think USPSA'ers make up a sizable chunk of Dillon's customer base, so you would think a rep from Dillon would be here answering questions or dropping hints...trying to drum up interest and sales.

Kinda weird...

5 hours ago, rustychev said:

So it looks like Dillon has stopped taking online orders for the 650.  I have also now seen a pic on a different forum of the 750 at the Dillon store.  How long are we going to be able to get parts for the 650?  If I cant get parts will there be a cheep way to upgrade my 650 frame?

I called Dillon and spoke to a gentleman named Sam.

He told me that I could be assured of 20+ years of future support with my 650.

9 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I wonder if Dillon will sell just the basic XL750 "core", i.e. the loader body with no accessories so those of us with XL650's can reuse our current accessories (tool heads, powder measures, strong mounts, powder checks, case feeders, etc.)?

The base model is $650.. Talked to them on Friday..