Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GET YOUR MONEY TOGETHER!!! (New Dillon XL750)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I  see the 750 has a "limited lifetime warranty". Dillon will either repair or replace defective parts on an exchange basis. I hope you don't have to send Dillon broken springs and other small parts to get replacements.

Edited by hrh
spelling

16 hours ago, hrh said:

I  see the 750 has a "limited lifetime warranty". Dillon will either repair or replace defective parts on an exchange basis. I hope you don't have to send Dillon broken springs and other small parts to get replacements.

What do you mean by limited lifetime warranty? The box has “No B.S. warranty” emblazoned on it just like the XL650.

I can't help but wonder, if the redesigned primer system was driven by liability and rumor or 650 primer kabooms.

My 650 is several years old, and primes more reliably than my 550b

Watching the way some you-tubers slam the machine up & down, I don't blame Dillon.

...I plan on keeping my 650 for a long time.

Dillon will continue to replace small parts, such as springs, ring indexers, nylon parts, etc, without requiring the damaged parts be sent in. On some larger parts, such as shellplates, powder measures, we reserve the right to have the damaged part sent in first, before a replacement is sent. This allows us to ensure the part being replaced is actually a Dillon OEM part, that the part was damaged or broken, and not lost (lost parts are not covered under warranty), and that the damage is not due to misuse (such as adding a auto drive), and so R&D can examine the damage, to see if changes should be made to a part design.

9 hours ago, dillon said:

Dillon will continue to replace small parts, such as springs, ring indexers, nylon parts, etc, without requiring the damaged parts be sent in. On some larger parts, such as shellplates, powder measures, we reserve the right to have the damaged part sent in first, before a replacement is sent. This allows us to ensure the part being replaced is actually a Dillon OEM part, that the part was damaged or broken, and not lost (lost parts are not covered under warranty), and that the damage is not due to misuse (such as adding a auto drive), and so R&D can examine the damage, to see if changes should be made to a part design.

Thanks for clarifying that.

On 8/19/2019 at 8:39 PM, Derek45 said:

My 650 is several years old, and primes more reliably than my 550b

...I plan on keeping my 650 for a long time.

I’m hoping so too. I just got a brand new 650 for a very nice price and just finish mounting it yesterday next to my 550.

Of by the way, kudos to Dillons customer service. I had a very old powder measure for my 550 that doesn’t have the fail safe rod giving me fits with the clanking. I said enough with it and decided to call Dillon last week and asked what to do. Ron, told me told that since I have the old powder measure; just gave me an rma to box and send it back to them to be replaced with a new one. 

New replacement powder measure will be arriving Friday according to fedex. Thanks Dillon.

I just got a  xl750 and because of the new angle of the powder measure and it’s return rod you cannot run a powder check and bullet feeder together on this machine. The new priming system is a little better but I never had a problem with the xl 650 priming system. I will have to use a different powder measure if I want to use powder check and mr bullet feeder. Maybe not a big deal but to some it maybe. Now if someone would design a tool head to use bullet feeding through a station of its own that would be ideal.

The problem is the angle of the powder measure. When the powder slide goes back it hits the mr bullet feeder. The xl650 powder measure points in a different direction so it clears everything. The priming system works great. I’ll see about posting a picture of the problem.

On 8/23/2019 at 8:59 AM, dfox said:

The problem is the angle of the powder measure. When the powder slide goes back it hits the mr bullet feeder. The xl650 powder measure points in a different direction so it clears everything. The priming system works great. I’ll see about posting a picture of the problem.

So can you still run a bullet feeder without problem or is this a issue? I don’t run a powder check so not worried about that. How is the rest of the press? Is it a worthy upgrade or should people just stick with a xl650. Thanks

You can run bullet feeder right after powder measure and not use a powder check.. press runs great, primer system I like a little better than the xl 650. I also bought the variable speed case feeder .  I don’t see any difference in reliability over the standard. I used a Mark 7 autodrive on the xl650 and the std case feeder  ran fine. On my xl650 I used snowshooze ( eBay) mods for 100.00 and it made it a great machine. I think with the snowshooze mods the xl650 is as good as the xl750 and the xl650 you can run powder check and bullet feeder with no interference. For now I am running a Hornady powder measure and everything works like I want it to. Maybe Dillion will come up with a fix or even the snowshooze guy might. Don’t think I would have upgraded from my xl650 to the xl750 knowing what I know now.

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2019 at 8:33 PM, dfox said:

You can run bullet feeder right after powder measure and not use a powder check.. press runs great, primer system I like a little better than the xl 650. I also bought the variable speed case feeder .  I don’t see any difference in reliability over the standard. I used a Mark 7 autodrive on the xl650 and the std case feeder  ran fine. On my xl650 I used snowshooze ( eBay) mods for 100.00 and it made it a great machine. I think with the snowshooze mods the xl650 is as good as the xl750 and the xl650 you can run powder check and bullet feeder with no interference. For now I am running a Hornady powder measure and everything works like I want it to. Maybe Dillion will come up with a fix or even the snowshooze guy might. Don’t think I would have upgraded from my xl650 to the xl750 knowing what I know now.

Thanks for the honest review. I've heard that same conclusion from a couple of guys at the range too. I'm sure the 750 is a good machine and would certainly be the one I'd buy if I were in that market. But it makes little to no sense to get rid of a working 650 to get one, IMO.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:34 AM, dogdoc1 said:

Dfox

could you run an rcbs lockout die (powder check) with your bullet feeder? Is the priming system as reliable as the 650s?

thanks

dogdoc

If you run the RCBS seating/crimping die, it opens up a station. Works great on my 650.

If you run the RCBS seating/crimping die, it opens up a station. Works great on my 650.

Only problem is you can’t seat and crimp in the same step with lead/coated bullets, it causes lead shaving. But, that would affect the guys running lead/coated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/7/2019 at 9:54 AM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Only problem is you can’t seat and crimp in the same step with lead/coated bullets, it causes lead shaving. But, that would affect the guys running lead/coated

I did not know that, thanks. I've only ever loaded copper coated bullets over the last 30 years or so of loading.

I did not know that, thanks. I've only ever loaded copper coated bullets over the last 30 years or so of loading.

No problem. IIRC, it’s because when doing both steps at once, the case can start being crimped before the bullet is fully seated, which causes the case to lose its bell obviously and can catch the side of the billet causing lead scraping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2019 at 7:01 PM, Jim Watson said:

My thought exactly.  Where's dub, he's had his for 11 days now.

Mine is still sitting in the box......waiting on me to set it...and the new 550C up.

Between working 13+ hour shifts and assisting my with through her battle with cancer there hasn't been much time for anything. It's comical how few range sessions I've had in the last year+.   

On the sidelines, waiting to get in the game.

I have a long weekend off next weekend.  If things line up like I hope....then I may get some progress on getting it done.

I really want to get it cranking out good ammo before the 750B is released, lol.

I have been ordering some powder, primers and such.