Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GET YOUR MONEY TOGETHER!!! (New Dillon XL750)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's what I was told. He said they had one set up in the show room. He told me also that it will have a new priming system.along with other improvements. The man said Dillon listened to what the buyers were telling them. He didn't say it but I'm guessing it will be a XL 750.

Edited by hotshot357

51 minutes ago, cjmill87 said:

Is it really going to be the 750?  They already have the 750 designation as the tumbler

Yes

42 minutes ago, hotshot357 said:

He didn't say it but I'm guessing it will be a XL 750.

They told me today that it'll be called the XL750.

33 minutes ago, Furrly said:

has any one seen a post or thread on it...would like to see the details 

It is being released August 1.  I tried to get them to share some info with me and they wouldn't.

27 minutes ago, m700 said:

Damnit just bought a 650 a month ago

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I almost bought a 650 a few weeks ago.  I was so close.  I was having trouble with their website.  I called...got put on hold...said screw it and hung up.

Well, I can assume from this post on Facebook that there is a new machine on the floor. And not a Cp2000 or 1100. Until today I never heard a peep about a new 650. They didn’t even have a 1100 or CP2000 on the floor last time I was there a few months ago. Very interesting.

b9fa0070114bd71d6d3517bec87a4960.jpg

85b195322e150f60d57b1ecc881b836e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kJgChuz.jpg

Just bought a 550C & XL650 w/ case feeder within the past few weeks, lol.   They should more than cover my needs.  It will be fun watching everyone go nuts over the new stuff, though.......assuming there actually is new stuff.

Edited by DubfromGA

The timing of this is uncanny: I was all set to finally buy a press this week.

I just got off the phone with Dillon about 10 mins ago. Here's what I learned: 

- The 750 is on the same frame/chasis as the 650, with a few places machined out differently for some tweaks. The big differences between the 650 and 750 are the priming system and how it indexes.

- The 750 uses a priming system more like the 550, with a sliding bar that will hold a live primer until a case is in the station (no more dumping live primers down the ski jump if there's no case present). And this system is also supposed to be safer, because there's more space/separation between the primer magazine and the primer in the station, reducing the possibility of a chain detonation. 

- The 750's indexing is supposed to be slower to reduce /eliminate powder spillage. It's also supposed to use a roller bearing to make it smoother.

It also doesn't start turning the shell plate until a bit later in the stroke, to allow for longer cases to be used. (Those are the words of the Dillon sales guy). They've also supposedly redesigned the bearing surfaces to reduce the index ring (I think that's what he said?) breakage that the 650 has. 

- Price is +$50 from the cost of an xl650. 

- Sales guy said almost all 650 accessories will still be compatible (tool heads, roller handles, case feeders, etc will all still fit). 

- 750 is supposed to start shipping next Thursday. When it does, 650 will still be supported (obviously) but will no longer be sold. 

So now I'm in a dilemma. As a guy who was literally ready to buy a 650 this week, what do I do? 

A: order the new model hotness, and learn the idiosyncrasies and issues on the fly and find the tweaks and fixes along with the rest of world, because it's a new press. 

OR

B: order the soon to be discontinued, 650, secure in the knowledge that because of the 20 yr service history, all of the known issues have known fixes and tweaks, after market parts or DIY solutions for them. 

Edited by Crash-7
Formatting

24 minutes ago, Crash-7 said:

The timing of this is uncanny: I was all set to finally buy a press this week.

I just got off the phone with Dillon about 10 mins ago. Here's what I learned: 

- The 750 is on the same frame/chasis as the 650, with a few places machined out differently for some tweaks. The big differences between the 650 and 750 are the priming system and how it indexes.

- The 750 uses a priming system more like the 550, with a sliding bar that will hold a live primer until a case is in the station (no more dumping live primers down the ski jump if there's no case present). And this system is also supposed to be safer, because there's more space/separation between the primer magazine and the primer in the station, reducing the possibility of a chain detonation. 

- The 750's indexing is supposed to be slower to reduce /eliminate powder spillage. It's also supposed to use a roller bearing to make it smoother.

It also doesn't start turning the shell plate until a bit later in the stroke, to allow for longer cases to be used. (Those are the words of the Dillon sales guy). They've also supposedly redesigned the bearing surfaces to reduce the index ring (I think that's what he said?) breakage that the 650 has. 

- Price is +$50 from the cost of an xl650. 

- Sales guy said almost all 650 accessories will still be compatible (tool heads, roller handles, case feeders, etc will all still fit). 

- 750 is supposed to start shipping next Thursday. When it does, 650 will still be supported (obviously) but will no longer be sold. 

So now I'm in a dilemma. As a guy who was literally ready to buy a 650 this week, what do I do? 

A: order the new model hotness, and learn the idiosyncrasies and issues on the fly and find the tweaks and fixes along with the rest of world, because it's a new press. 

OR

B: order the soon to be discontinued, 650, secure in the knowledge that because of the 20 yr service history, all of the known issues have known fixes and tweaks, after market parts or DIY solutions for them. 

The POS sliding primer bar system is why I sold my 550 to get a 650. That is not an improvement over the 650 in my mind.

Get a 650!

1 minute ago, Sarge said:

The POS sliding primer bar system is why I sold my 550 to get a 650. That is not an improvement over the 650 in my mind.

Get a 650!

I think he said it was similar. I'm not sure he said it was the same one. I'm not well enough versed in Dillon's to say they're the same, and I don't want to put bad info out there. 

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Get a 650!

I have both the 550 and 650 (of course, just bought the 650 within the last couple months...

The priming bar of the 550 has worked fine for me over many years. Meanwhile, the dumping of live primers in the 650 drives me nuts (not catching them, but having to handle them once again when the machine should know not to drop a live primer without a case present). The spent primer situation on a 550 is absolutely ridiculous, but won't have any effect here on the 650/750 changes.

I would wait and do the 750 if it shipping that soon. I bought 650 last month and would have waited if I knew but the upgrades arent significant enough for me to jump off the 650 and take a  loss.

The 550 priming system is OK if you keep it clean/lubricate/Add roller bearing.

I got rid of the chute on the 650 and put in a  bottle before I loaded my first round so I dont know the pain. I load up 5 tubes and run them through machine. afterwords I empty bottle into tray and put them back in machine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-Dillon-XL-650-Missed-LIVE-Primer-Chute-Ski-Jump-Fix-Upgrade-BLUE/272968060181?hash=item3f8e2a0d15:g:gI0AAOSwNSxU3qak:sc:USPSFirstClass!08535!US!-1

Also the roller bearing upgrade is available for this machine from snowshooze

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dillon-XL-650-Roto-Cam-Actuator/323354509353?hash=item4b496e4029:m:mPNEtdLohf8eIxrcnzHcTdg&var=512416016328

28 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Get a 650!

Then let’s all assume that it borrows from the 1050’s sliding powder bar system, and not the 550’s.

I loved that upgrade when moving from the 650 to the 1050: it always works, you have actual control over seating depth, and it doesn’t spit out primers when a case is absent.