Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GET YOUR MONEY TOGETHER!!! (New Dillon XL750)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

I just went through my club/range contact to order another 650 and a casefeeder.

My one gunclub/range has a dealer's account with Graf's of Mexico, MO.

Ya know what's weird about this whole thread/topic?

1. we didn't hear a thing or rumors or hints from January's SHOT show about this press...whereas, that CP1100 and whatever other press was all the rage at the last SHOT show...and this new 750 press is supposed to be orderable come August 1st????

and

2.  who is eye searingly absent from this thread?  who hasn't posted in this thread?

You would think USPSA'ers make up a sizable chunk of Dillon's customer base, so you would think a rep from Dillon would be here answering questions or dropping hints...trying to drum up interest and sales.

Kinda weird...

2 hours ago, rustychev said:

I had also noted this.

Nothing weird at all. A company would normally want formal product announcements (like at SHOT). And to control information until formal decisions are made by the appropriate people. With the speed of bulls#!t on the internet, something inferred on a forum can easily come back to bite you. Give our friend(s) here a break. He (they) may be under orders to remain silent until a formal announcement.

6 hours ago, AHI said:

In the picture above is the failsafe rod hanging in mid air?

and on the wrong side.

The mid air part ...looks like you're correct there... that white plastic part is supposed to be inserted through something..that's how the rod gets pulled downward and the bell crank assembly also pulled downward on...all to make sure the powder completes a full cycle open and closed.

I am thinking it really doesn't matter which side the failsafe rod goes through the bell crank assembly.

Try searching here or on google for "dillon powder measure retrograde"

The old or original Dillon design used two springs wrapped around the cone part of the powder measure to get the powder bar to return.

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Nothing weird at all. A company would normally want formal product announcements (like at SHOT). And to control information until formal decisions are made by the appropriate people. With the speed of bulls#!t on the internet, something inferred on a forum can easily come back to bite you. Give our friend(s) here a break. He (they) may be under orders to remain silent until a formal announcement.

But on the flip side, you have this CP1100 and whatever that other press is called all hyped up at SHOT...

and as far as I can tell via Graf's website, not a single one of either of those two presses ever got delivered and distributed by Graf's.

Yeah, sure I get it... in business it is always better to under-promise and over-deliver versus over-promising and then under-delivering...

But to not make one single announcement or facebook post about a new press that we can supposedly all order 3 days from now...

Something seems fishy...

😕

The 750 may be the answer to not being able to deliver the 1100 in time. Its only a few minor changes from the 650, They may have had plans for next year on this one but with delays on their new flagship they thought they had to put something out

The only benefit would be faster conversions between small/large priming systems.    Takes less than two minutes on the 550.

The 650 has the most reliable priming delivery system of all reloading presses.  The complaint most often heard is that they always feed primers, other presses could be so lucky.

That too can be fixed.

Put me in the “step backwards” group.

2 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

The mid air part ...looks like you're correct there... that white plastic part is supposed to be inserted through something..that's how the rod gets pulled downward and the bell crank assembly also pulled downward on...all to make sure the powder completes a full cycle open and closed.

I am thinking it really doesn't matter which side the failsafe rod goes through the bell crank assembly.

Try searching here or on google for "dillon powder measure retrograde"

The old or original Dillon design used two springs wrapped around the cone part of the powder measure to get the powder bar to return.

Not how the rod goes through bell crank its on the wrong side of the machine .

Photo shopped ? 

I went to Dillons today to get some bullets. I saw the xl750 there and asked some questions. I asked why the 550 type priming system and the salesman said it was for new reloaders, often they get overwhelmed about changing from small/large primer systems. I also noticed that the high low switch on the case feeder had a rheostat instead of the switch. No biggie for me... There also was a bearing cam and spring that replaced the indexing block. That’s all I saw. I really can’t see why anyone would “bail” on the xl650.

I went to Dillons today to get some bullets. I saw the xl750 there and asked some questions. I asked why the 550 type priming system and the salesman said it was for new reloaders, often they get overwhelmed about changing from small/large primer systems. I also noticed that the high low switch on the case feeder had a rheostat instead of the switch. No biggie for me... There also was a bearing cam and spring that replaced the indexing block. That’s all I saw. I really can’t see why anyone would “bail” on the xl650.

I think the most telling thing is that Dillon won’t be selling the 650 anymore. They must believe that the changes are that much better.

14 hours ago, Furrly said:

The base model is $650.. Talked to them on Friday.. 

Yeah, that was given on the posting above with the XL750 ad.  However, the "base model" still includes a caliber conversion, powder measure, tool head, etc which are parts I already have.  I would want just the big piece in the middle at, hopefully, a lower price

So... They're basically taking the XL650 & adding "features" found on the cheaper Hornady LnL AP...

The primer system on the LnL (ie slide bar) is its absolute worst feature & why I mainly only use it for brass prep these days... Works well enough if it's super clean, jams up if it's not... I've sanded & polished the slide bar on my LnL AP which has helped a ton, but the XL650's priming system is far superior IMO... Hornady LnL AP is a good press, much better than the XL650 in several regards; however, the priming system is its biggest failure & annoyance...

The slower indexing would be nice, but I really haven't had an issue on the XL650, even when going faster than I really should; however, my Hornady LnL AP is definitely smoother & slicker in this regard w/ no powder spillage unless I'm getting pretty reckless when pulling & pushing up the handle.

The delayed index would be useful for long rifle cartridges I guess. Hornady LnL rotates 36 degrees with every up & down motion of the press which is quite nice for rifle cartridges, as well as to reduce index speed / powder spillage. The XL650 rotates 72 degrees on the down stroke, which causes faster index speed & associated more powder spillage. Will be interesting to see how Dillon has delayed / reduced this considering the XL750 is supposedly still on the XL650 frame...

Would be nice if they modified the ginormous detent ball system under the shellpate to be much smaller like the Hornady Lnl AP so the detent is more positive without whipping the plate into position at the last second, as well as reducing how critical the shell plate bolt needs to be tightened just "perfect" to get things working smoothly. Roller bearing under the shell plate should help; however, a much smaller detent ball w/ a stiffer spring would really help to smooth out the index & reduce powder spillage, as well as making shall plate bolt adjustment much less finicky.

Will be interesting to see how well the beta testers like the press after the honeymoon period wears off.

So, I called Dillon last night to order some parts and to chat about the 750.  I noticed that the 650 wasn't available to order on their website.  The website said to call Dillon.  When I spoke with Dillon the sales guy said you can still cal and order the 650, but you had to call and do so.  From what I heard from Dillon, the 750 has incorporated a lot of features most of us 650 users have upgraded as aftermarket.  (things like the bearing kit, and roller cam)  I've never had a problem with my priming system, but I added the aftermarket primer stop anyway.  I was hoping Dillon would clearance out their 650's.  I was looking to pick up another one pretty cheap.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:18 PM, cvincent said:

While I’ve never used a 1050. I see primer system problems all over the Internet discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a fact. My 1050 has a lot more priming issues than my 650. 

So, I called Dillon last night to order some parts and to chat about the 750.  I noticed that the 650 wasn't available to order on their website.  The website said to call Dillon.  When I spoke with Dillon the sales guy said you can still cal and order the 650, but you had to call and do so.  From what I heard from Dillon, the 750 has incorporated a lot of features most of us 650 users have upgraded as aftermarket.  (things like the bearing kit, and roller cam)  I've never had a problem with my priming system, but I added the aftermarket primer stop anyway.  I was hoping Dillon would clearance out their 650's.  I was looking to pick up another one pretty cheap.

No deals on the 650s? I’m looking to pick up my first 650 soon. Hopefully a couple local people decide to upgrade to the 750 and sell their 650s haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason behind this change is lowering the manufacturing cost (and increasing the profit margin).

Actually, I'd be surpirsed if it wasn't. 

Follow the money. 😉

5 minutes ago, ClayBuster said:

It looks like it’s on the site for sale now.  

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl750-reloader_8_1_26745.html

Yup....saw that yesterday.   

How difficult would it be for them to snap a pic of one setup in the showroom to add to the webpage, lol.

Great company with some very helpful staff......but their website needs considerable updating.  Surely one of the long term employees has kids who've grown and sought technical degrees and are adept at software design and such.  They could spend a few hours and really bring Dillion's webpage up to par.   Granted, I'll never again order a press without calling in my order and talking through it with the staff.......but the website is very helpful for ordering toolheads, quick change kits, etc. 

Edited by DubfromGA

2 hours ago, RGA said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason behind this change is lowering the manufacturing cost (and increasing the profit margin).

Actually, I'd be surpirsed if it wasn't. 

Follow the money. 😉

That’s business 

then look at all the stuff they give away

19 hours ago, SPL15 said:

So... They're basically taking the XL650 & adding "features" found on the cheaper Hornady LnL AP...

The primer system on the LnL (ie slide bar) is its absolute worst feature & why I mainly only use it for brass prep these days... Works well enough if it's super clean, jams up if it's not... I've sanded & polished the slide bar on my LnL AP which has helped a ton, but the XL650's priming system is far superior IMO... Hornady LnL AP is a good press, much better than the XL650 in several regards; however, the priming system is its biggest failure & annoyance...

The slower indexing would be nice, but I really haven't had an issue on the XL650, even when going faster than I really should; however, my Hornady LnL AP is definitely smoother & slicker in this regard w/ no powder spillage unless I'm getting pretty reckless when pulling & pushing up the handle.

The delayed index would be useful for long rifle cartridges I guess. Hornady LnL rotates 36 degrees with every up & down motion of the press which is quite nice for rifle cartridges, as well as to reduce index speed / powder spillage. The XL650 rotates 72 degrees on the down stroke, which causes faster index speed & associated more powder spillage. Will be interesting to see how Dillon has delayed / reduced this considering the XL750 is supposedly still on the XL650 frame...

Would be nice if they modified the ginormous detent ball system under the shellpate to be much smaller like the Hornady Lnl AP so the detent is more positive without whipping the plate into position at the last second, as well as reducing how critical the shell plate bolt needs to be tightened just "perfect" to get things working smoothly. Roller bearing under the shell plate should help; however, a much smaller detent ball w/ a stiffer spring would really help to smooth out the index & reduce powder spillage, as well as making shall plate bolt adjustment much less finicky.

Will be interesting to see how well the beta testers like the press after the honeymoon period wears off.

I have the LnL. When I bought it I had heard some of the horror stories about the priming system. So when I set it up I made sure I smoothed out all the rough machining marks and chamfered the holes where the primer sits in the slide. I have made about 9k rounds on it so far and have yet to have any priming issues. I think a lot of problems on a lot of presses stem from poor quality control when the make them. They just don’t take the time to make sure everything is cleaned up and smooth. I think I will eventually upgrade to big blue but for my needs right now big red is working fine. 

I have both a 650 and a Lock N Load. Presently I mostly load with the 650 and use the Hornady to remove primer pocket crimps.

Both priming systems have their pros and cons but the biggest pro is that the Hornady doesn't discard a primer if no case is present. I have the improved ski jump deal on my 650 that catches most of the primers but it doesn't work perfectly and I still loose a few.

Having never popped a primer on the 650, I am not super worried but I can certainly see how the Hornady is safer in this regard.

Actually, especially when loading mixed headstamp 223 brass, it isn't unusual for me to prime up a batch of brass with a hand primer. This allows me to catch any issues before a bullet puller is required. An extra step in the process but not a major inconvenience.

Personally I was hoping for a press with an extra die station.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk